Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2020, 04:40 PM   #1

Default Class B as a Travel coach?

With all of the nonsense that 2020 has brought to us, my wife and I have been looking into the idea of a Class B as a mode of travel other than air. We somewhat regularly travel around New England, with the occasional trips to friends in KY, MD, and NC.

We are not necessarily campers, and would be using a van as more of a mini tour bus. We do have 2 small kids under 5.

Does anyone else use their RV more for the journey; or are we not really in the right mindset here. Main goals are comfort during the journey, somewhat self contained for food/restroom, and giving the kids a few more options while we are traveling, such as coloring, watching tv, etc.

Any help or advice on models would be great. Very new to all of this.
PtJudeRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #2
Site Team

I think that what you are describing fits a great many B-van owners--possibly a majority. When describing our rig to non-RVers, I often use the term "Touring Coach", since I think that best evokes our usage pattern.

Many, many of us use our rigs to see America, more than to camp for long durations. If I wanted to do the latter, I would probably own a trailer, not a B-van,
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:50 PM   #3
Silver Member

This is exactly how we intended to use our Class B before we purchased it. We just completed a 4k mile tour of the US using the RV as you describe and it was glorious. Comfortable, easy to maneuver, fits in most peoples driveway, easy to pack and you can bring along all your food and drink, etc. We had some specifics ... dog friendly, bigger fridge, etc but you can find a lot of options to fit your needs.

We stayed with family/friends for the trip, excluding one travel night in a hotel. We did stop at a rest area and got some sleep in the back as the high winds of the days travel just wore me out.

Keep in mind the limited number of 3 point seat belts on many models if you will be taking the children along. Size of the fridge and storage should probably be on your list to check out too. We skip filling the water tanks for leisure van travels to save weight and it allows us to use the bathroom as more storage. Options options! I'd really spend the time getting to know the chassis your model is built on as well. We live in the mountains so driving through mountains is all but unavoidable so power was also a big one for us.
BrianCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:52 PM   #4
Platinum Member

models which properly seat ( belts) more than 2 persons are in the minority esp in older models- RV's are not classed as passenger vehicles ( nor are most SUV's or pick ups) so assumed safety features may be lacking.

the use you describe is perfect for a class B- you'll NEVER have to make a pee stop again.

or a food stop

and the non driving adult will have perfect access to the kids to help them out- or everyone can watch TV or nap

only fuel stops required

demand is high this year and class B's are the most expensive per sq foot.
but advantages are MPG, ease of parking and easy to drive

we ( 2 +dog) have done a number of month long trips, camped a week at a time at the beach self contained, "hammered" 22 hours at a time trading drivers, napped at rest stops and walmarts

the B is very flexible

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 04:57 PM   #5

Appreciate the input!

I'm a Ford diesel fan, so ideally, I'd love to find something with a 350 or 450 chassis and a 7.3 or 6.0 so I know my way around the two engines. Buuuut, that being said, Id also be keen on a 460 so I could do a repower down the road with the new 7.3 gasser.

Im not very knowledgeable on the RV models, but I do like the Chinook line. they seem to be well built and I like the Fiberglass bodies.

Open to suggestions, and Keep the info coming! Im trying to read up as much as I can!
PtJudeRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Chinook brand is long gone

the rear entry models, if the sofa is converted to a bed, then it is a climb over.
I came close to buying the 28' model ( 2006?) but the parking and wife uncomfy driving and ford base were all against it.

If you know Ford, def start there.
The older PleasureWay Excel model is a widebody on the ford ( I have the Chev based Lexor)

Like you a big part of my choice was knowing my way around the shared mechanics with my pick up- same manual, same tools, similar layout

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:54 PM   #7
Bronze Member

We have had 2 Travatos, both 59Ks. Until this year we used them almost exclusively for comfort as a travel van. Now with this virus thing, we’ve been using it more as a camper. It’s nice not having to use a rest area. Our first Travato only had seatbelts for 2. But our 2020 now has 2 seatbelts on the drivers side rear cushion. The 59G has 2 seatbelts side by side on the dinette directly behind the driver seat. This may be a better set up for the kids.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 02:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

We have traveled on extended trips as much as 3 months with a go anywhere, stay anywhere attitude that I don't think you can easily achieve towing trailers or Class B+, C or A motorhomes. Our typical extended camping adventures have been a combination of 1 day to about a week with a combination of stops at RV campgrounds, wilderness campgrounds, friends streets or driveways, Walmarts and like, or Harvest Host sites.

We also make, from Minnesota, yearly or more short trips for events or see family in Ohio, Indiana and Virginia (Washington DC) not for camping purposes of 600 to 1,000 miles one way and those trips usually require a stay overnight and of course a stay at our destination and not an RV park. Those trips also involve winter months when typical RV campgrounds are mostly closed. I think boondocking travel (no shore power) is a must.

Other than overseas travel, we haven't been on an airplane since we took to Class B travel. We have rarely stayed in a motel either except special circumstances.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:52 PM   #9
Gold Member

It is not just seatbelts, you need to ask yourself if you would enjoy traveling in those seats from a comfort and view standpoint. While our sprinter seats 7, only 2 have anchored seatbelts and headrest protection, 3 have anchored seat belts with no headrest protection and have a harsh bumpy ride. But several times a year we use all of them.

60,000 miles on our Class B, most of them as a travel coach. More extended camping recently with the virus lockdowns.

Fortunately you have many options to choose from, unfortunately each comes with tradeoffs. Create a good definition of your use case and happy hunting!
Old 07-18-2020, 02:14 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Congratulations on the positives of 2020,

Covid has given you the portal into.the most family fun vacations you could ever dream about.

Everything you need is available in a bigger Class B or even a small one - but if you have gotten through Covid together, you can get through a small Class B.

The only thing that isn't available is Chinooks, they are very rare & because of the age, a Southern California unit might be rust free. But they tend to be Bulletproof & especially the 4 wheel drive units.

But for efficiency, the older 170 Mercedes Airstreams, Pleasureways & Roadtreks might be perfect.

Bottom line; anything you look at, post the details on here & I am sure you will get some timely owner & ex owner feedback.

Then there is the older Dynamax units
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:52 PM   #11
Bronze Member

I can only speak to my own experience, but our family settled on an older Roadtrek 190 Versatile largely because it has 4 seats at the front with 3-point seatbelts, which isn't easy to find. And because we could afford it (that part was kind of important).

If you do go with an older model (or really even if your go with a newer one), plan several short trips close to home and expect to cut them short. That will give you time and opportunity to discover what's broken and go home to fix it. For example, our generator worked when the previous owner showed it to us, but it turned out the fuel pump was bad and it wouldn't stay running for more than half an hour or so. And it could be RV problems or just regular old car problems (window motor, power steering, brakes, etc.). Take your time, figure out what works for your family, fix what's broken, and have fun along the way.
JDBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 11:07 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I concur with the need for "short trips initially..."

And I am repeating myself when I double down on this advice;

ALWAYS have a reputable Professional join you for a complete vehicle inspection before your purchase.

The small amount of money invested might be offset by the "invisible issues uncovered" & lead to a negotiation in price

If you cannot afford to pay for such a professional inspection, you cannot afford even the run of the mill issues that with ownership.

I have learnt that one of the tangible Joys of RV Ownership is the satisfaction of fixing what at the time, seemed an impossible scenario.

Things that fail in the house are not the same as things that fail in your Home on Wheels where there is no closing a door & deal with it later ie; a stride away from your driving seat is your bathroom which is in your hallway which is also your kitchen & just a stride away from your bedroom.

Add in the fact that you are moving at all manner of speeds only adds more elements of difficulty.

Road testing your purchase with your Expert beside you is just another part of the Inspection.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:20 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Don't discount conversion vans for travel. Many have high tops, TV's, sinks, refrigerator, folding bed, casette toidies, seatbelts for all, etc., and are lighter weight getting better fuel economy.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #14
Lou
Platinum Member

We have a Pleasure-Way Excel which we love BUT you can't converse with anyone on the back couch without shouting. When we were in our "seeing Canada with your kid" project we had a class C and she sat at dinette right behind us. It was great for talking and for her to use table while travelling. I have seen class Bs that have that up front seating. In your case I would recommend upfront and a table.
We mainly use our class B for wandering and we love being able to park it at our house.
PS Think of organizational strategies such as -Non slip shelf liner mat for each child, suction cup containers, hanging shoe organizer for toys and a snack holder that parent can access easily.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #15

We are doing exactly the same thing..... we just bought a 2020 Regency Ultra Brougham; very spacious; Mercedes chassis diesel and we are getting 19 mpg. Perfect way to see America!!! No planes for us anytime soon!
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote