Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2018, 11:50 PM   #1
GAH
Bronze Member

Default Class b cabin noise

We rented a 24 foot 2015 class b this past week to see how we liked it (planning to purchase one or build one in the next year). The layout was nice but we realized we don’t need one that big.

The model we rented was pretty noisy with the cabinets squeeking and rattlling most of the trip. It made me realize the importance of build quality as we look at models to purchase.

Can anyone give me their experience with squeezing (or not squeezing) cabinets/rattles with the Roadtrek or Pleasure way models (both gas and diesel)?
GAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:01 AM   #2

Have a Chevy-based Lexor. Driving in a small city with many bumps, we do hear a decent amount of noise. However, there is virtually zero noise while cruising on the highway. We use ours primarily for travel on highways, so noise not an issue at all. If you plan to use on bumpy roads, gravel roads, or in a small city with bad streets, you will mostly hear noise based on my experience. I also read one of your prior threads. Our van seats 6 and sleeps 4. For my family, this is a great layout and hard to find layout these days.
pwlextex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:36 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I have a 93 Pleasure-Way. The only thing that squeaks is the bathroom door latch. I haven't bothered to adjust it.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 01:39 AM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Don't worry, you will learn to add felt to doors jams, or add rubber stoppers to drawers, or slip cloth in between things. You will survive.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:14 AM   #5
GAH
Bronze Member

Yea, I am sure I can quiet the squeaks once we purchase one. Just interested in opinions on the build quality, and if that impacts the squeaks/vibrations, of different models to help us decide which ones to focus on.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:50 AM   #6
Platinum Member

I cannot comment on the mfgrs you asked about, but in my opinion the build quality and choice of cabinet and drawer hardware matter. Comparing relatively recently rented/owned Winnebago to Leisure Travel Vans to ARV, even accounting for differences in packing of silverware and dishes, the sound level on the road went with the cost.

And BBQ is correct, even the ARV could be made to be noisy if you don't derattle the silverware, the glass plate in the microwave etc. But it isn't that hard to derattle.
Mfturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I recommend paying more attention to non-attenuated road noise than to build-related squeaks and rattles. It sounds like you may have been previewing Sprinter-based models (you said 24 feet). Remember, Class B vehicles begin their lives as cargo vans, and the quality of the cab soundproofing may vary among manufacturers (and between model years of the same manufacturer). It's easier to shim and tighten cabinetry than it is to go back in and deaden the cab (see here for a partial example).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:26 PM   #8
Site Team

I recommend melamine forks.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:45 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Our bathroom door squeaks a lot! It drowns out all the other squeaks. But our van is almost 20 years old so I would expect some squeaking.

I plan on adding industrial toggle clamps to get this resolved:
Old 04-06-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I know you asked for Roadtrek and PleasureWay-specific responses, but would like to chime in, if you don't mind...

Our Crossfit is on a gas-powered 22ft Ford Transit XLT chassis. It is the quietest vehicle we own (or have owned, anyway, since I sold my 1986 Mercury Marquis). The only rattles were the microwave plate, covers for the sink and stove, and the little chain that dangles down from the TV. All were silenced within five minutes using a dish cloth for padding or (in the case of the chain) a bit of tape.

Some people don't mind the noise, but those squeaks and rattles are one of the main reasons why we did not buy a Winnebago. WGO uses sliding doors and we couldn't find a way to silence them.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly with InterBlog regarding the quality of the chassis having a tremendous impact on the interior noise level.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat Mobile View Post
Our bathroom door squeaks a lot! It drowns out all the other squeaks. But our van is almost 20 years old so I would expect some squeaking.

I plan on adding industrial toggle clamps to get this resolved
You can also get stays made with really strong neodymium magnets that work pretty well.
Old 04-06-2018, 03:43 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebe3 View Post
Some people don't mind the noise, but those squeaks and rattles are one of the main reasons why we did not buy a Winnebago. WGO uses sliding doors and we couldn't find a way to silence them.
Yeah, our Paseo has that sliding bathroom door, and it did make quite a bit of noise, but we found a very effective way to silence it. Just stuff a rag into the gap between the door and the wall, and blissful silence!

WGO did a pretty good job on the sound deadening, but they missed the rear doors, and a fair bit of road noise comes in through them. Fixing that is on my "To Do" list...
Old 04-06-2018, 04:00 PM   #13
Platinum Member

My van is very quiet except the sofa-bed rattle on a rough road only. I have about 4” of Thinsulate (double layer) in the cab’s roof and the rest of the van is well padded with Thinsulate. My overhead cabinets sliding doors are dead quiet as well as all 80/20.net cabinetry. Conversation with folks sitting on the sofa bed in the back is very easy without elevated voices. All cabinets and drawers for kitchen stuff are padded with a layer of foam and we pay attention how noisy gear is packed.

The combination of aluminum framing cabinetry and the Thinsulate made our van very quiet, so quiet B-class can be done.

My DIY is based on a passenger van which from the factory is quieter than a cargo or a crew van.

Eliminating rattle from the sofa bed is on my to do list, I understand the problem just need to select the best of options. If the sofa bed is in the bed position there is no rattle.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 04:23 PM   #14
Platinum Member

What I've found which helps with noise is using clear plastic containers with well fitting lids. Worst case, it may rattle, but being in a container deadens the sound significantly.

For the Travato 59k, the best thing is to replace the sliding door with a curtain. The 59G's tambour door might be harder to replace or deal with.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #15
GAH
Bronze Member

Thanks for the info. Good to know.. We looked at the Crossfit and I like the Ford but I am over 6 feet tall so it looks like the bed is to short for me.
Old 04-06-2018, 05:08 PM   #16
Site Team

Silicone hot-pads/trivets work very well to separate noisy pots, etc. Plus, they are handy in the kitchen. Cheap, and available in all shapes and sizes. They also help prevent things from sliding around.

Old 04-06-2018, 05:31 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I recommend melamine forks.
Well, shoot, if cutlery is the noise issue, this (below) is always a possibility. It has the added advantage of allowing an immediate visual assessment - I can immediately spot escapees (vs. it's all piled in a drawer and I can't count it quickly). This is all the cutlery I carry in the van, so I better not lose any of it. The basket was about six bucks in Michael's craft store.

And this is how I deal with the issue of rattling plates. That's a check folder from an office supply store. The monthly plastic dividers keep the thin Corelle plates from banging against each other. It slides into the cabinet gap at the side of my microwave.

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #18
Platinum Member

We're using reusable plastic utensils and plates. Even have plastic wine glasses. And silicon pads similar to above between pots and pans.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:37 PM   #19
Platinum Member

My van has Hushmat installed on the walls, ceiling, wheel wells doors and floor before the insulation goes in. This greatly sound proofs the van from exterior noise and helps to find rattling noises while driving because the road noise is not as great.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:26 PM   #20
Platinum Member

You just hit upon something. I often see Winnebago Travato wheel wells which are bare metal. Every time I see that, my first urge is to get some Hushmat sheets, trim to size, and place those wherever I can, provided it doesn't interfere with the moving parts. Just the vibration dampening quality of that stuff applied alone makes a significant difference, from what I've personally seen.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote