Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2019, 03:00 PM   #21
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshimura View Post
Thanks for this. It's our first trip so we don't know what to expect.

In your experience, it it always possible to park for the night at Truck stops? What about at Flying J / Pilot stations? I see that some have PRIME Parking Spaces but don't know what it means exactly.

Thanks again!
Truck Drivers can reserve 'prime' spaces in advance.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:51 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Truck Drivers can reserve 'prime' spaces in advance.

Bud
This is true. I don't think an RV can reserve a prime spot. For me, the truck parking area is too noisy with the trucks' engines running all night long. You can download the Pilot app. Use it to sort for stations with RV islands and/or parking.

Also download RVParky app and you can sort for different types of campgrounds, Walmart, Cracker Barrel, Cabelas overnight parking, fuel stations, etc.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
Truck stops could have restaurant(s) [fast food [McD, Arby's] and/or sit down, i.e. Denny's], limited grocery and supplies, showers, etc. Many Flying J's and some Pilot stations (and some other brands) have RV gas and diesel fuel islands (not normally a problem for Class B's, but useful for large Class A and trailers). The islands have water fill and sewer dump stations. Most have propane fill service. Many Flying J's have RV specific parking spaces in front of the station (away from truck parking), where you can park overnight. You can then go into the store in the morning and fill up on Cinnabons! Flying J/Pilot seem to be price competitive with other local gas stations for gasoline, not so much for diesel. You can also get 5 cents off per gallon if you're a Good Sam member.
If you get the reward card from Pirate/Flying Fish Hook you will get I think $3 or 5 off the dump fee, unless something has changed recently.

Do keep in mind that most of the locations do not have Tier 1 gasoline, again unless something has changed lately.

If I stay at a truck stop(rare) I just let them know and/or ask about parking for a few hours for some shut eye. They generally look at me with that dear in the headlights look cuz they have lots trucks doing it without having to ask. It's just assumed.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #24
Gold Member

Default RV Truck washes

We spend most of the year in the Florida Keys where salt in the air with frontal passages is amazing and puddles are full of salt water from centuries of over washing eith sea water during hurricanes so salt driven corrosion underneath our cars, SUVs and RV scares me.
This is beyond most folks interest however, I put three cheap flat sprinklers in a short garden hose line so that when I drive a vehicle over the line of sprinklers the under side of our RV gets a pretty good fresh water flush front to back.
Trying to get all the nooks and crannys by using a regular garden hose set up or commercial truck wash does not strike me as particularly effective.

As an aside, local independent marine mechanics report very good outcomes in terms of preventing salt water corrosion for their customers who insist on using Salt Away solutions when they rinse or flush boat engines, boat hardware, fishing gear, boat trailers etc. I am skepticle about manufacturers claims and wanted to hear real world results from folks who dont sell the product, and these independent mechanics who dont sell that product seem to verify that it works. I will be using it on my undercarriage rinse set up described above.
BJ Fl Keys Roadtrek 190 Pops
Bjones7788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:04 PM   #25

Happened to be doing some reading today for maintenance on my Chevy 190P and came across this. Good advise for any rig I'd say. "(3) Do not directly power wash the
transfer case output seals. High
pressure water can overcome the
seals and contaminate the transfer
case fluid. Contaminated fluid will
decrease the life of the transfer
case and should be replaced."
Don709 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 09:06 PM   #26

Default Big Thanks

As a prospective class B owner, I sincerely
thank you
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33602 View Post
I will share this with you folks..........you can save your own copy and then pull it up on you phone via Google Maps and navigate to any of the points as you normally would..............you can also edit your copy and get rid of things that are not of interest to you.....

Click link to Map with Loaded Points of Interest

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...1380408859&z=6
bobkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2022, 08:39 PM   #27
Gone Traveling

A truck wash is similar to a car wash but designed for semi-trailers and other large vehicles. You'll often find them along interstate highways and other roads where large vehicles frequently travel.
JalenWeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 02:01 PM   #28
Platinum Member

On the road we once had our van washed, waxed and detailed at a KOA in South Padre Island by an independent service with a van that comes around to campgrounds. They did a fantastic job but it was not cheap.

A Mercedes Benz dealer washed our van when we brought it in for service once and didn't charge us. Once, I suppose because the van was dirty and they probably figured out it was better for servicing to clean it.

Advanced RV sometimes washes our van for service. Again, it probably depends on how dirty it is. They have a fetish for maintaining a clean facility.

Other than that our condo garage complex has a heated community wash bay with power wash wands of soap and rinse, a tall movable step ladder, pole brushes, etc. It is big enough for Class As, 5th wheel trailers and sailboats which are stored by others at the complex. Obviously it dwarfs a Class B.

Cost to use it is $1 for 5 minutes with the soap and rinse power wash machine. With two wands on both sides we can usually accomplish a wash and rinse for $2. Available all year round. We most times wash when when come home and put the van away in our heated garage. If we avoid gravel roads it would be rare that we bother to wash on the road. We have gone back to a metallic silver van we had with our Great West Van which has hid the dirt best over white and dark grey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Wash Stall at Nike Storage.jpeg (97.9 KB, 4 views)
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 04:27 PM   #29
Platinum Member

I have had this problem repeatedly when heading south during the winter months. I've tried the truck wash solution, but it is expensive and only results in a so-so wash. My preferred tactic is to pull into the truck filling station part of a Pilot and use the water spigot to give my camper a nice gentle rinse. You may need to have your own hose and spray nozzle, what Pilot has in place is variable.
jakegw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2022, 06:01 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I've used WashWashAll for over 10 years now on large DP's with paint jobs that cost almost as much as my 2011 C210P did. As long as there is not heavy road grime it works well and is quicker than wet washing.
Previously: 1999 36' Foretravel, 1998 Newell, 1993 Newell
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote