Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2021, 09:53 PM   #21
Platinum Member

We like the compact(ish) driving size of a Class B. I guess we really want our cake and to also eat it.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 09:56 PM   #22

Us also! We really like the size of our class B and just want to maximize its use with a realistic viewpoint.
Wanderer2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:37 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
We like the compact(ish) driving size of a Class B. I guess we really want our cake and to also eat it.
With these things, it's possible if you have enough time and money.
coss370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 10:53 PM   #24
Bud
Platinum Member

The slide out thing is something like Any Other B Feature - trade-offs, advantages and disadvantages.

The manufacturers have engaged in it, and how many are still involved? How many custom outfits do it? Offer it?

That is why there is the next step in 2021, the B Box.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:25 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Sorry personally I am not a fan of the animal carrier design. Or should I say small furniture delivery van?
Old 01-19-2021, 11:37 PM   #26
Platinum Member

I like the B box however my wife wanted a compact B and this is why we downsized from 22’ to 19.5’. There is merit to happy wife, happy life Actually she is happy either way, but did not like driving 22’ and loves 19.5’; my preference is indoor shower and toilet and she was happy to forgo a fully closed off bathroom for a shorter AWD van. You just have to come to terms with the trade offs but small size is very high on our lists. A small bed slide allows for a E/W bed significantly keeping indoor functionality with the bed setup. You can nap, eat and read/surf all at the same time with separate functional spaces. In front of van we have front lounge, mid-ships galley and rear raised E/W bed with indoor secure bike storage underneath the bed.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Old 01-20-2021, 12:25 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coss370 View Post
Just buy a bigger RV if you have to go through all the work
or, better yet, just buy a house! After all, who needs something that's easy to drive, park, and store?
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 07:21 AM   #28
Platinum Member

Given the bs popularity compare to a, c and towable. I would say majority doesn’t care about the drive
Old 01-20-2021, 12:48 PM   #29

The drive is why we went to a B. We also have a 5th wheel. The 5th wheel was great when we had the kids and their friends, But now It makes a great cabin at the lake.

We discovered there are some pretty amazing places to camp where a bigger rig can not. I never imagined us in a Class B I was sure we would be in an A, But priorities change. I was not comfortable driving the truck with the 5th wheel, but I am totally comfortable with the van. Now I can be a relief driver at least.

There are positives and negatives to them all. Everyone just has to weigh out which one works for them. Aren’t we fortunate to live in a place with so many choices.
Old 01-20-2021, 02:05 PM   #30
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatGuy View Post
or, better yet, just buy a house! After all, who needs something that's easy to drive, park, and store?
Yes, that is what a B Box or Class C is, a house sitting on top of a truck.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:09 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks@yvr View Post
I like the B box however my wife wanted a compact B and this is why we downsized from 22’ to 19.5’. There is merit to happy wife, happy life Actually she is happy either way, but did not like driving 22’ and loves 19.5’; my preference is indoor shower and toilet and she was happy to forgo a fully closed off bathroom for a shorter AWD van. You just have to come to terms with the trade offs but small size is very high on our lists. A small bed slide allows for a E/W bed significantly keeping indoor functionality with the bed setup. You can nap, eat and read/surf all at the same time with separate functional spaces. In front of van we have front lounge, mid-ships galley and rear raised E/W bed with indoor secure bike storage underneath the bed.
Ken,
ks@yvr

Your signature says you have the "2021 Ford Transit AWD Custom Euro"
Who makes it, who sells it and what are its features?
Why did you not get the Pleasureway Ascent instead or add FlareSpace to your
previous van?
Walk in His Peace,
Scribe with a Stylus

ps - My wife agrees with yours on the drivability of smaller vans. We have a 144 wb Sprinter Crew van. We just do not camp in it except in emergencies as we have not had time and money to do a conversion. We do take it to church and on long trips. It is wonderful to be able to take a nap while traveling and to be able to park in regular parking places.
Scribe with a Stylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 01:30 AM   #32
Platinum Member

I am making it = Custom, building it with front lounge as per how they build most Euro campers that North American manufacturers seem to mess up by making the front lounge to cramped. Looked at Flairspace and cannot get enough space with the extra wide flairspaces and by the time you add the cost of the flairspace, paint etc and the bulging of the rear of the van it just seems to me a small push out for the bed keeps the van looking factory and gives me a full length east/west bed with proper insulation for colder weather. Also my previous van was only 6’3” in height and a north/south bed with no rear storage under it. If you wanted a table for 2 to eat then the bed had to be stowed away. We now have option for full time bed and front lounge with a table that allows us to sit face to face. Bathroom has been deleted in favour of cassette toilet and shower both stored in drawers when not in use. So its custom (Covid project and work in progress) and not going to be for sale. May not be everyones preference the way we are building it but it is ours from looking at a lot of van builds. The European builds just have a number of innovative ideas and for some reason manufacturers on this side of tge ocean as as inventive as Hymer, Knaus, Westfalia and others.

Stay safe,

Cheers,
Old 01-24-2021, 02:10 AM   #33

Thank you for your reply. Did you get a high roof Ford Transit Van or the regular roof?
Walk in His Peace, (and Six feet away : - )
Scribe With A Stylus
Scribe with a Stylus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 02:23 AM   #34
Platinum Member

High roof Transit 148” wheelbase - 19’ 8” (237.6”)
Old 01-24-2021, 04:06 PM   #35
Gold Member

Whoever has a B with a slide-out can you post an interior pic with the slide-out in? All the ones for sale never show that config. Are the sections still functional in some way? Can you walk down the aisle with a modicum of grace when a side is in? Sit or sleep when the rear slide is in? Etc.
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 09:56 PM   #36

Yes you can walk down the aisle. Sorry I don’t have a pick right now. I will share when I get one. The only thing you can’t do is put the bed out in ours. It is a 2013 LTV Freespirit Ss.
Old 01-25-2021, 11:17 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
Yes, that is what a B Box or Class C is, a house sitting on top of a truck.
I had a Class C and it was huge sitting on the frame of that little Toyota! But now when you say B Box, I think of Advanced RV's "B Box"! Now I'd love one and I think my wife might be able to deal with it. But at $380,000, it just plain does not fit my budget no matter how much it cost! Maybe Advance RV might give me on to run around in for advertising purposes.
Tiffin Allegro
Foretravel U225
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:39 PM   #38
Platinum Member

I may be Advanced RV's biggest owner, fan boy and promoter and I don't get any deals let alone any van to run around in for advertising purposes.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 12:08 AM   #39
Site Team

I was initially rather smitten by the ARV B-Box. Obviously very comfortable and roomy--practical in many ways. Then I went out to our current GWV Legend and reminded myself how deeply we are in love with its incredible panoramic windows. We could never give that up. By comparison, inhabiting a B-Box would be like living in a nearly-windowless basement apartment (which I have done). You can make such an apartment as luxo as you can afford, but it will always be a nearly-windowless basement apartment.

I got over it.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:24 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I was initially rather smitten by the ARV B-Box. Obviously very comfortable and roomy--practical in many ways. Then I went out to our current GWV Legend and reminded myself how deeply we are in love with its incredible panoramic windows. We could never give that up. By comparison, inhabiting a B-Box would be like living in a nearly-windowless basement apartment (which I have done). You can make such an apartment as luxo as you can afford, but it will always be a nearly-windowless basement apartment.

I got over it.
360 views through windows drove our decision to launch our own conversion continuing with acquired taste on previously owned camper vans – Westfalias with 360 openness.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote