Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2014, 01:22 PM   #1

Default Class B Dwelling

I am new to this forum and I have been doing some research and interested in the #VanLife and thinking on going on the grid mobile while calling Ottawa, Ontario "Home Base!".

I am wondering if there are other Ontarians that have left the tradition house/condo/apartment dwelling and gone van dwelling full time. I am interested in the path south in the winter or if some have experienced winter in the class b?

I think my vehicle to begin this journey will be the 2015 Airstream Interstate Ext Grand Tour Class B http://youtu.be/W9RGV6nybRo as I can work remotely and take my career mobile. I would like to hear some thoughts, opinions, pros/cons etc. from any experienced #VanLife'rz. I really enjoy playing disc golf and think I would travel and tour across North America PDGA events while continuing my career enjoying life mobile while embracing the outdoors.
spike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:24 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Class B Dwelling

if you only answer to yourself i don't see why not. I know my spouse would never consider it.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:44 PM   #3
Platinum Member

In our retirement we have been traveling about a third of the year mostly in spring and fall with extended time and shorter bursts the rest of the year. We haven't given up our home base as we still feel a need to be home for Thanksgiving and Christmas. We haven't reached the urgency to even downsize our base home yet. We love to be on the road and at the end of a long journey it is kind of bittersweet. We like to get home and back to our community yet at the same time have a let down of still not being on the road.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
Silver Member

SPIKE put some thought into looking at the Roadtrek E-trek series. I HAD an Airstream Interstate for 10 months and now have a RT CS Extended body E-trek. I never did like the Suburban propane hot air heater in the Airstream nor did I like the small fridge and down-on-the-floor m-wave. Yes, AI has not a different version, but I like not having to run a propane generator that the AI had. And the RT CS series has more cabinet space than the AI 3 seater did. And the AI was an extended body also. And RT is made in Canada and you can go have a tour at the factory. With making it a permanent home, look before you leap.
bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 11:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

That Airstream Grand Tour EXT is a different animal than the Airstream Interstate that was essentially a clone design of the Roadtrek RS Adventurous. The Grand Tour floor plan is similar in layout to the Great West Van Legend EXT with the kitchen counter on the passenger side and the refrigerator/freezer on the driver side and not under the counter. The microwave/convection oven is under the counter. It looks different in the photos. I wonder if it is more like the bin type you see as the latest fad in kitchen design. It doe not have the third seat up front. It does have a unique personal work area table that functions with a turned around driver's seat. It has a very spacious back storage area that appears big enough to store bikes inside. If you like golfing, Airstream is the only converter that offers a golf bag holder as an option. It is still spacious and open in feel like the RS and unlike the CS tall cabinets on both sides. Here is the plan.

http://www.airstream.com/touring-coache ... fications/

What is missing is Etrek features but it does have a bit more than the old school provisions with two house batteries and 1000w inverter and bigger waste tanks. Yep it has that old propane Suburban furnace (old school). It is not quite as boon docking independent but more so than most Bs of a couple years ago. They have a side sliding door bug screen and I find that essential. You have to like their limited contemporary interior look as there are not a lot of finish options.

As a plan layout I like it better than most Bs but I am moving away from the electric sofa/bed concept I had in my first two Bs to something new and different. I am incorporating that personal work desk with the driver's seat. I think I did that more so because I want to be able to use the two front cab seats with a portable table without having to slide through the passenger seat to get to the driver's seat when set up that way. The work desk pushes the tall cabinets further toward the back by necessity to get the table to work with the driver's seat. Cost, quality and bathroom I can't tell much from the information at hand other than to say I think all the Sprinter bathroom designs on the passenger side (Roadtrek, Airstream, Winnebago) have been too narrow with their compensating Rube Goldberg door configurations with the temporary bump out when in use. Hopefully the Grand Tour design with the bathroom on the driver's side does not make that mistake. Cost starts out pretty high for a MSRP price but then again they just assume all the goodies are standard and don't bother to tease you with a "base" price.

Exterior? They are in line with the trend of de swooping the decals. With a compressor fridge they should be getting rid of the two vent look. Unfortunately, with the Suburban furnace and hot water they will probably have the tell tale cover panel.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 02:25 PM   #6

I am kinda diggin the Roadtrek SS-Agile, I will rent it for a few weeks to see how I far with my dog in the small space.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:34 PM   #7

Has anyone had any issues working for a Canadian Company while travelling across the border? What length of time would be best suggested to roam through the southern states?