Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2020, 02:20 AM   #1

Default Class B for 3 adults?

Is there a Class B that will legitimately sleep 3 adults? I guess by legitimately, I mean comfortably. 😊
TangoAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 02:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoAlpha View Post
Is there a Class B that will legitimately sleep 3 adults? I guess by legitimately, I mean comfortably. 😊
Nope. Not that I know of unless you are into a different lifestyle.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 03:14 AM   #3
Platinum Member

There are one or two models with a pop-up loft similar to the old VW campers. If the third person is not too large and reasonably nimble, and the other two can share the main bed, maybe. I’m not sure if any of those models have an onboard wet bath, though.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 04:30 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Pop-up is certainly an option. But check this one - https://www.vandoit.com/. It can be customized for sleeping and seating for three adults. One person on the floor and two in a hydraulically raised bed. Likely no permanent bathroom.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 01:07 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Other than two people at the most, I believe a Class B is not suited for carrying three or more people comfortably. It becomes a steel tent for sleeping not an RV for living inside. Storage, privacy and facilities are greatly compromised. A trailer or a Class A RV is a far better choice. If you do, a Class B would be only suitable for point A to point B infrequent short trips to carry more people at a great space sacrifice if you don't intend to carry three or more people all the time.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Other than two people at the most, I believe a Class B is not suited for carrying three or more people comfortably... A trailer or a Class A RV is a far better choice...
For an alternate take on a Class B for 3+ people this photo was posted on the Solis user group by an active rafting and kayaking family of four, two of whom are over 6 ft tall.

The pop-top design provides them three separate living zones: upstairs sleeping for two, back sleeping for two with a curtain divider, and central kitchen/bath/dinette area for cooking, cleaning, etc. And it's less than 20 ft long for parking at home.

Luxury loungers might cringe at the lack of TV, fake flickering fireplace, or espresso machine. But many outdoors enthusiasts are thrilled with a small Class B they can set up quickly, protect the occupants from inclement weather, provide bath, shower, cooking, and sleeping facilities, carry them to new adventures, and tuck into their driveway or garage at home when done.

It's all about perspective...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg solis_rafting.jpg (163.6 KB, 47 views)
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 03:51 PM   #7

Like most things, everyone will have different experiences with this. I'm quite happy and comfortable in my Roadtrek 210 Popular in a sleep-and-seat 3 person setup. Mind you, nobody in my family is over 5'6" but I find the extra elbow room and breathing space afforded by the 210 (versus the Roadtrek 190/170) makes a difference to me.
LimboMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 04:59 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Some of the larger (24 feet long) Class B’s WILL sleep 3 comfortably. Check out the Winnebago Era for example. As others have mentioned the new pop top shorter B’s will also sleep three.
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:15 PM   #9

Quote:
Winnebago Solis
Kdbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Winnebago Solis or Travato G floorplan.
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
Winnebago Solis or Travato G floorplan.
Actually, the Travato in reality wold be comfortable for 2 only. One on the Murphy and kind-of on the one behind the driver’s. That one won’t be very comfortable for a tall person.
Kdbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #12
Bronze Member

Our 2019 Roadtrek Zion has a blow-up bed that fits over the front seats. We've never tried sleeping on it ourselves but fine for grandchildren.
Weroadtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #13
Platinum Member

No. Class B's fit 1 to 2 people realistically. Food, drink, waste system capacity, ventilation and just plain walking room are not going to be ideal.

Now some of that depends on what your idea of using a Class B will be but it is still a tight space because after all, it's a van with a higher roof and lots of stuff-stuffed into a vans dimensions. If your wanting a bathroom for three, I would consider it Emergency use only due to limited size, water capacity and compost or cartridge or standard black and grey tank systems will be at capacity in a couple of days. If showers were being considered, limited on board water capacity will be a show stopper. Hookup to external water will take care of that but the condensation levels inside a van, increase in wet towels to dry out, etc. will require more venting. If you still want to attempt this, I would settle for no less than a main vent fan and a smaller one in the bathroom. Depending on the trip re temp & humidity, I would pick a model that has the most opening windows. A model that recently came out from an RV manufacturer that is sort of a clone of another brand has severely limited the opening windows in our all steel "can" van's which might be an issue for some users.

I can say you can do it but its going to be like Sardines in a can at times. I believe the best solution is to consider a Class C. More room, more seating and bed options, Lots more storage. And they can cost a lot less. That may seem odd but it is easier and less expensive to build out a cab on chassis rather than engineer everything into a fixed dimension van. If built on a heavier duty chassis with dual rear wheels and a powertrain to match, their weight capacity will increase dramatically. Towing if you really really must do that, is likely going to improve over a Class B too.

My wife and I love our Class B, WINNEBAGO Travato 59K. It's near perfect for the two of us in small space even on the longest trips with reasonable planning to time our 23 gallon water refill and 13 gallon black, and 13 gallon waste dump stops in particular.

Safety wise, it's not the optimum solution to take even one kid along which to me is a paramount point to consider. If a Class B has belts in the rear, are they lap belts or full shoulder & lap? Even then, many of the motorhome build outs I have looked at would have a lot of dangerous things flying around in a hard crash or roll over, even if the passenger in the coach section stayed anchored in place. It would be a tough memory if something happened to a person in the coach was badly hurt or worse while the driver and passenger up front might have faired better with the proper seats, harnesses and air bag systems used up there.

Whatever you get, if it has a refrigerator, I suggest you check to see if it is steel cable-anchored to the van chassis. Likewise if it has a microwave or convection oven, see if it is anchored too. Do not bother to ask anyone in a dealer sales department. First I would find the model or models your interested in and then go home and research the heck out of it. As for the cable anchoring, someone in a dealers Service Dept might know if they have personal experience on the exact year and model your looking at. What did I do? Factory inquiry. At least WINNEBAGO will answer direct contacts. Emails usually take a couple of days at least for them to reply but in I think three times I have gone that route, they replied and with great answers. Not sure how the others would handle an email or telephone request.

- WINNEBAGO also have EXCELLENT parts resource online. It takes a little doing to find but every drawing including plumbing and electrical is accessible by the consumer, by year and serial number so you get the correct diagrams.

Good luck on what you determine what fits your needs.

More to think about than you might have considered yet. I still think a Class C is the way to go for three.
Storysrvwego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdbjones View Post
Actually, the Travato in reality wold be comfortable for 2 only. One on the Murphy and kind-of on the one behind the driver’s. That one won’t be very comfortable for a tall person.
In REALITY, we have been traveling in a Travato for 4 years and 75,000 miles and find it comfortable for 3. My wife and I on the Murphy bed (I am 6'2" and over 230 lbs) and the third on the "puzzle bed". (The Solis Beds are EACH larger than the Travato)

As others have pointed out, different people have different standards of "comfort", but when the question is asked "Is there a class B that comfortably sleep 3?", -I- think the answer is yes. Of course, it should be noted that some think there is a TENT than "comfortably sleep 3", and there is a 60' class A that can MORE "comfortably sleep 3".
Old 06-04-2020, 06:56 PM   #15
Bronze Member

One thing we’ve learned from our time with a Class B. You can live FROM it, but not IN it. It’s a tight fit on extended trips for sure. But we do enjoy the convenience of parking it basically anywhere with the exception of a parking garage. Our 2020 Travato 59K came with seatbelts on the driver side sleeper. But there’s no way 3 people could sleep in it comfortably.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:01 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel7851 View Post
Our 2020 Travato 59K came with seatbelts on the driver side sleeper. But there’s no way 3 people could sleep in it comfortably.
A Travato K only sleeps 2.
A Travato G sleeps 3 or 4.
A Solis sleeps 4.

and you are right on about the "live from it, not in it".
Sleeping is one thing, traveling is another, LIVING in a class B is a whole different ballgame.
Old 06-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raxel7851 View Post
One thing we’ve learned from our time with a Class B. You can live FROM it, but not IN it. ………………...
Good description, it resonates with my view of a Class B vs a Campervan. We had 2 VW Westfalias, great campers up to 3 kids. My first intro to Class B was in 2013 when we were looking for a campervan, Airstream saleslady suggested to test their “Campervan” by driving from Portland to Seattle and back, so, testing camping capability by cruising 400 miles.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Older Winnebago Rialta model QD sleeps 3

http://www.rialtainfo.com/model_info...htm#floorplans
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:00 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Quote:
Go and see Panoramicrv.com click on the floor plan. You can sit 4 persons during the day, see day floor plan and travel because they have restrain on the two seat on the front and two on the dinette and sleep 3, see floor plan at night, two at the back in the bedroom and one over the dinette. They are made in Canada but they are starting to deliver in the USA with american chassis. Very well made hight quality and a lot of storage. Also a nice european style and look.
jgmarcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:02 PM   #20
Bronze Member

https://panoramicrv.com/floor-plan/
jgmarcotte is offline   Reply With Quote