Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 08:00 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
No, my own Promaster build, it would have pissed off the kids if I spent that much of their inheritance. I'm 6' I ended up with 6'2" headroom. You might find you seldom stand up straight when cooking of fussing about. Usually you are looking down with your neck bent. The priority was function over form in my design although it did come out looking nice.
I think there is a lot of that kind of thing happening, good that you mention it. We go camping. We don't go "sit in the van", "walk around the van" or "gaze out the window of the van while cooking". We are outiside doing stuff from activities to cooking, whatever. Our priorities are a good bed to sleep on, a frig for food, a micro for snacks, and a place for all our stuff. Sometimes heat or TV and DVD. Beyond that we are very flexible. After 8 years, we are still eliminating things in the van that we thought we had to have for survival. I understand that some of this stuff is more important to other folks than us, but we consider the van as a no more than a way to expedite what we really want to be doing, so useful is way more important than spiffy details.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:34 PM   #42
Platinum Member

One thing I failed to address during the build was the need for more lighting than normal; as you get older. I added quite a few lights of the correct temperature and higher intensity which made it more comfortable to read and do stuff at night.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:34 PM   #43
Platinum Member

We lounge in the van only at night and in bad weather, but we consider the ability to stand up straight one of the greatest virtues of this van. Stooping would get old very quickly
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 10:04 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
We lounge in the van only at night and in bad weather, but we consider the ability to stand up straight one of the greatest virtues of this van. Stooping would get old very quickly
I can attest to that. Our previous van's ceiling was 6'1" high, and I am 6'3". Pure torture.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 02:57 PM   #45
Bronze Member

Quote:
MsNomer, can't agree more. DH is already a bit skeptical of the whole thing that would be a deal breaker.
Lkwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:18 AM   #46
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkwilson View Post
Husband is 6'3. Don't need four seats up front. Just a comfortable bed. Swivel front chairs to a table and enough space to store a small grill and two outdoor chairs. I've searched here for tall, seen a few that could work. Anyone in our situation that's happy with your choice?
Wow I've had the same problem
For 19-24+ plus feet Class Bs
I've had a heck of a time getting comfortable in most of them especially the ProMasters
Look at the Pleasureway FL
Plenty of room around the front driver seat
My wife likes that it is less then 24 ft
TRFranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #47
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFranta View Post
Wow I've had the same problem
For 19-24+ plus feet Class Bs
I've had a heck of a time getting comfortable in most of them especially the ProMasters
Look at the Pleasureway FL
Plenty of room around the front driver seat
My wife likes that it is less then 24 ft
Well, so much for the FL... We went to the show yesterday and it was beautiful, loved the fit and finish and layout, but DH (6'3") didn't fit in the bed. His feet pushed right up against the bulkhead. Not going to work. So, we keep searching. There was a used Airstream with twin bunks that he fit in. May have to go that route.

In reality, we need a bed about 6'5" or 6'6", Or 6'3" with room at the end to dangle feet over a bit (said growing up in Britain was used to that) just not pushed up straight against something.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:43 AM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, so much for the FL... We went to the show yesterday and it was beautiful, loved the fit and finish and layout, but DH (6'3") didn't fit in the bed. His feet pushed right up against the bulkhead. Not going to work. So, we keep searching. There was a used Airstream with twin bunks that he fit in. May have to go that route.

In reality, we need a bed about 6'5" or 6'6", Or 6'3" with room at the end to dangle feet over a bit (said growing up in Britain was used to that) just not pushed up straight against something.
Looking at my nerdy RV database, there are a number of Class B+ rigs that met that criteria. There were only a few B's that met it. As before, these models all have both the microwave and the fridge raised above the floor. Also, as before, there are places that build custom RVs, like Advanced RV and Sportsmobile. They'd be happy to make something just for you. They're not included in this list. Also not included are models that have the plenum above a standing or walking area. They effectively reduce the standard approx. 75" headroom of the Sprinter by about 3 inches. The effective interior heights listed reflect that, if it's an issue.

NOTE: Watch out for the plenum above the galley in the Airstream Interstate motorhomes (all current models). If you try to stand at the rear end of the galley counter, or walk past it, you'll notice it. For me, the plenum is in a prime headbanging position. It's not included in this list because of that problem. I've only walked through a couple of their trailers, so I don't know if the same problem exists in them.

Also one thing I've forgotten to mention before. I don't include the small Chevy-based Roadtreks in my lists of RVs for tall people. I excluded them because of their low entrances and cramped quarters. I'm sure that they're fine for a lot of people, but for me, they're just too small to maneuver in. The same day that I banged my head stepping into one of them, I banged my head in an Airstream Interstate. I was NOT happy.
Attached Images
File Type: png Bed Lengths.png (74.5 KB, 24 views)
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:23 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Outside of your height, your posture, your shoes and the floor covering also make a big difference in whether you're comfortable or not. I, too, hate stooping.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:20 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Quote:
Have you checked out the Safari Condo XL Flex series? Its bed length is 6'4" but on the starboard side your toes can dangle off the bed end.
The XL Flex is available in both Promaster and Sprinter chassis.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:23 PM   #51
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
Have you checked out the Safari Condo XL Flex series? Its bed length is 6'4" but on the starboard side your toes can dangle off the bed end.
The XL Flex is available in both Promaster and Sprinter chassis.
The optional storage under the bed is interesting, thank you.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:07 PM   #52
Platinum Member

I recall that you had to make some sort of special arrangement with Safari in order to get a rig outfitted by them. Does anybody know their current arrangement?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:25 PM   #53
Site Team

Quote:

If you run out of options, as a last resort you might want to consider going with the FL and then hiring a carpenter to modify the cabinet. I had exactly the same issue with the Legend's bed length. Fortunately, GWV was willing to customize the galley cabinetry. They made it 4" narrower, and added a small carpet-covered box (which I later converted to a cabinet to store the TV). Here is how it came out:

IMG_09.JPG
IMG_10.JPG
IMG_5483.JPG
IMG_5482.JPG

This may seem like an extreme solution, but honestly if you can find the right craftsman in your area it isn't that big a deal. You would give up a bit of drawer space in the FL, but if it solves your problem, it may be well-worth it.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:54 PM   #54
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
If you run out of options, as a last resort you might want to consider going with the FL and then hiring a carpenter to modify the cabinet. I had exactly the same issue with the Legend's bed length. Fortunately, GWV was willing to customize the galley cabinetry. They made it 4" narrower, and added a small carpet-covered box (which I later converted to a cabinet to store the TV). Here is how it came out:
That looks great! Actually we just finished a remodel here in Glen Ellen and our contractor built cabinets in his early days and has restored/refurbished boats so I'm sure he could do pretty much anything we needed. Hadn't thought about that.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:44 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Just got confirmation from Advanced RV. They can definitely get the super high roof Sprinters again and are back in business converting them.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:48 PM   #56

Do you fit comfortably in the driver's seat of the Travato G?
sherrilou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 01:07 AM   #57
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherrilou View Post
Do you fit comfortably in the driver's seat of the Travato G?
Oh my god, the worst!! I was so convinced I wanted a Travato K, then got in one. My 6'3" husband tried to be positive, but he looked like an adult in a kids car. Knees up against the steering wheel (which doesn't adjust in all directions). I'm only 5'8" but hated the seats... really uncomfortable and so cramped trying to get to the van from the front seats. So ended up not for us. I really had my hopes up but we don't fit and I couldn't stand those seats for more than maybe an hour.

If you're under 6 feet or maybe a long torso and short legs it might work. I notice that a lot of single women are buying them and I can see how that would really work well and have heard some great stories. I know we're going to get slammed by all the Sprinter haters, but we ended up buying a beautiful LTV Unity MB. Not a class B, but still short enough to get into most of the state parks and love the interior height, the shower (DH fits, and we're not tent to RV'ers, we're nice hotel rooms to RVer's so avoiding the grubby bathrooms are a plus for us) and the sprinter seats are the best. I still follow this forum because I've learned so much about RVing in general, electrical issues, batteries, this forum is a gold mine of great information.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #58
Bronze Member

Quote:
Oh my god, the worst!! I was so convinced I wanted a Travato K, then got in one. My 6'3" husband tried to be positive, but he looked like an adult in a kids car. Knees up against the steering wheel (which doesn't adjust in all directions). I'm only 5'8" but hated the seats... really uncomfortable and so cramped trying to get to the van from the front seats. So ended up not for us. I really had my hopes up but we don't fit and I couldn't stand those seats for more than maybe an hour.

If you're under 6 feet or maybe a long torso and short legs it might work. I notice that a lot of single women are buying them and I can see how that would really work well and have heard some great stories. I know we're going to get slammed by all the Sprinter haters, but we ended up buying a beautiful LTV Unity MB. Not a class B, but still short enough to get into most of the state parks and love the interior height, the shower (DH fits, and we're not tent to RV'ers, we're nice hotel rooms to RVer's so avoiding the grubby bathrooms are a plus for us) and the sprinter seats are the best. I still follow this forum because I've learned so much about RVing in general, electrical issues, batteries, this forum is a gold mine of great information.
Couldn't agree more
My wife loves the K because it's so open
I had the same problem with the PW Ascent
For some reason the manufacturers love to restrict the driver side movements
TRFranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 02:29 AM   #59
BBQ
Platinum Member

The Ford Transit based RV have good interior height.
Old 09-10-2017, 03:36 PM   #60
Platinum Member

I went out and measured our Transit-based Crossfit - the Winnebago Paseo is likely to be similar.

Height of main area (side entry and kitchen) is 77". Then there is a 7" step up to the dinette area and the plenum of the AC drops down so the lowest height over the dinette is 68". Inside the shower, it is 73" and the door opening to the bathroom is lower than that, but I didn't measure it.

I have to say that the bathroom is so small, that even at 64", I will probably sit down; the shower can be hand-held. If you want to stand up to shave or apply make-up, there is a hinged magnifying mirror that can be rotated out into the main area, but it may be too low for taller folks unless re-positioned.

The beds may be too short, too. The Paseo is a cross-sleeper (absolutely too short) and although the Crossfit says the longitudinal beds are 72", that is as much as you will get. You might have another 3" or so before finding your head against the back doors, but right now, it's an air gap and you would have to put a support there or lose your pillow between the bed and the doors.

The main issue for tall folks (or anyone, really) is getting to the rear of the van from the front seats. There is a storage box overhead and the space between the seats is very tight. It is an extremely difficult transition and I would urge anyone considering buying a Crossfit or Paseo to attempt that movement a few times before deciding on buying.

That said, I like the driving characteristics of the Transit and the Crossfit floorplan so much that I'm willing to put up with the inconvenience.