Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 12:36 AM   #1
Gold Member

Default Class B less than 20 feet

Looking to buy Class B less than 20 feet, we are looking at Aktiv (maybe buy when dust settles after audit) , but appreciate feedback on other models.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:58 AM   #2
Platinum Member

There is also the Pleasureway Accent, the Hymer Activ, Carrado Axion and Banff, and the Roadtrek Zion and Simplicity SRT. Plus the Winnebago Revel.

So, three on the Sprinter and five on the Promaster. I preferred the gas option, so I got the S-SRT. I love how the Promaster drives and the SRT was the one with a decent sized fridge.

Only two not enclosed in the dust cloud...
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:05 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glamper View Post
Looking to buy Class B less than 20 feet, we are looking at Aktiv (maybe buy when dust settles after audit) , but appreciate feedback on other models.
The good news is that there are so few models under 20 feet, you've already narrowed your choices. Which is a first step to selecting the right rv for you.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:43 AM   #4
Gold Member

Thanks very much to RowieBowie and Mumkin, we looked at all of those at recent RV show in Pleasanton CA, including the Airstream Interstate 19 (which is new and $$$) we were sold on the Hymer Aktiv until recent 'news' hit the fan, what we liked about it was the 'real bed' across the back, not really enthused about the electric sofa bed in Pleasure Way and other models (also not enthused about PW price tag). PW is a solid product as is Airstream, but then again $$$. At this point we are in a wait and see on the Hymer. Thanks very much!!!!!
Old 02-04-2019, 01:47 AM   #5
Platinum Member

If you have time for the Hymer situation to play out, they may be back on your list, with a nice discount.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:05 AM   #6
Gold Member

Yes, that's what we are thinking, our friend wants the model with the pop up roof for additional sleeping space, he rented an Aktive on outdoorsy.com and took it for an overnight campout on the coast (in the middle of a storm!). He parked it in the driveway with about 12 inches to spare! We don't want somethign parked off-site that we will never use, even a day trip over the hill to the coast would be fun. I just really wish Aktiv had a bigger fridge, I hate that tiny fridge, white Wine takes up a lot of space!!! Winnebago has a fab fridge.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:37 AM   #7
Platinum Member

If you can handle 20 feet-6 inches, the Roadtrek 190 Popular is worth looking at.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:34 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
We don't want somethign parked off-site that we will never use, even a day trip over the hill to the coast would be fun.
Agree. We stayed with 20 & 1/2 ft. to keep it at home in our driveway. That way we can use it occasionally as a 2nd car, avoid monthly storage fees, and keep the batteries topped up by plugging in overnight about every 3 weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
If you can handle 20 feet-6 inches, the Roadtrek 190 Popular is worth looking at.
That's really what we have although ours is a '2012 Airstream Avenue Suite (image a 190 with the galley and wet bath swapped to the opposite sides). Stealth was another important factor due to our Homeowners Assoc. Soon after bringing it home, I de-badged it of the gaudy 2" high chrome AIRSTREAM lettering (in three places no less) and after a year and a half, so far so good. These pics were while driving back from Houston on the date of purchase.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6213.JPG (655.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6214.JPG (538.1 KB, 29 views)
Old 02-04-2019, 04:39 AM   #9
Gold Member

Thanks for the photos and suggestions. Literally cannot go beyond 20 feet, due to limitations of driveway. 19 ft < 20 is only option. Airstream is creme de la creme. the only Airstream that would work for us is Interstate 19 https://www.airstream.com/touring-co...tate-nineteen/ Pleasure Way Ascent in same category. However both have those electric beds (right?) and both very pricey, reason we liked Aktiv aside from price was the foam queen size bed, across the back, as there are only 2 of us we would just leave the bed setup. I am reading a lot of comments about rigging those electric folding beds with foam toppers etc because they are so uncomfortable?? But I really like the big fridge in some of the B;s, I think Winnebago fridge is big, also Pleasure Way, the Aktiv fridge is pokey, I need my white wine after all....would give up the microwave to have a bigger fridge, I def can live without a microwave.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:58 AM   #10
Bronze Member

Unhappy Hymer Aktiv spare tire adds a foot.

Glamper: Since you can't exceed 20 feet, I wish to warn you that the spare tire stuck in back of all Hymer Aktivs makes the standard Promaster 2500 chassis not 19'7" but almost a foot longer.

Most B manufacturers simply leave off the spare tire. Roadtrek Zion SRT includes the factory spare in the factory location (under the rear bumper), but the Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (RV cousins) omitted it to cut price (though the empty space remains).

So if you have to have a RV shorter than 20', you won't find many with a spare tire. I too am interested in the Aktiv, but will have to see if EHGNA remains in business.

DougB
dougbaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #11
Platinum Member

There's also Safari Condo in Quebec, although there are quite a few hoops to jump through for U.S. buyers.
michaelingp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:13 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I have the Simplicity SRT and I have the spare under the chassis. It seems sort of random although I specifically asked for it on my order.

It has a great 5 cu ft fridge. My 170 had the same small fridge, on the floor, as the Activ... hated it.

The standard Simplicity comes with a platform bed. The electric sofa is an option, but I had it in my 170 and my back HATED it. I put two twin beds in my 170, but you have to be short. LOL The bed is only 64" - same as my height.

You mentioned that one of the Travato rigs has a nice large fridge... but they are all over 20'
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 02-04-2019, 04:26 PM   #13
Platinum Member

You might find this advice from me shocking, but I would say, if you are looking at an Aktiv or SRT without all the Ecotrek & Voltstart nonsense, I'd say go for it.

Not only do you have leverage to buy a unit out of existing stock (DON'T ORDER ONE!) at a great price, the simplicity of these van's system would allow you to cheaply repair them by a third party (on your nickel of course).

Another thing you could do is purchase a 3rd party warranty. If you save enough on the purchase price, this could make some sense for peace of mind. But really, all the hardware in the vans is covered by manufacturer's warranty anyways - the fridge, water heater, furnace, etc - each one has it's own warranty.

Just stay away from the proprietary stuff like their lithium system as that could be very problematic if EHGNA goes belly up.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:52 PM   #14
Gold Member

Simplicity SRT looks good, we would skip the folding sofa, just two of us (and sounds like fixed bed is comfortable? I really like the bigger fridge in SRT, at eye-level!! I do like the option of folding up the bed (in Aktiv 1.0) which you don't have that option with Simplicity... also have no additional seating up frontwith SRT, regarding SRT spare tire it is underneath chassis? the Aktiv Spare tire is such a pain, a friend said some people have cabinet near wheel well re-configured to hold spare tire. If exterior spare swung to side rather than up and down it would be far better...bad design (figured the Germans would know better LOL). SRT no cassette toilet, which I think we would prefer, bottom line if we want something in stock, we need to compromise! Thank you
Old 02-04-2019, 10:00 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
If you order the unit with a spare tire The 20 ft 6 inch spec doesn't apply because the actual LOA is about 21ft 9 inches.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 02:16 AM   #16
Platinum Member

One thing that I have noticed is that the units (like the Activ and Zion) on the lots seem to always have the Ecotrek systems. It is rare to find AGMs.

Except, of course, for the Simplicity which doesn't even have the option for the lithiums. It comes with a group 24 100 ah battery that is pretty puny. Most people add solar, the underhood generator, AND a second battery if they plan on doing much boondocking. I upgraded to 2 Group 31s.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
Old 02-05-2019, 03:14 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
...a group 24 100 ah battery that is pretty puny. Most people add solar, the underhood generator, AND a second battery if they plan on doing much boondocking. I upgraded to 2 Group 31s.
I think group 24 batteries have closer to about 70 AH (35 useful AH @ 50% SOC). Group 31 batteries have about 130 AH each and about 65 AH @ 50% SOC. Most G24 batteries are not true deep cycle and probably have short lives (i.e. number of discharge cycles).
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 04:21 AM   #18
Gold Member

Our max is less than 20 feet, not an inch over. And as far as the spare goes, on the Aktiv, that design is horrible, lowering the spare (which weighs a ton) to open back door. We were told some owners have the back rear storage area opening made bigger to hold the spare tire, elimating the need to carry it outside the back door of the van, know anyone who has done that?
Old 02-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Quote:
IMHO: Recommend that you at least look at a Winnebago Travato. The Travato is 21 feet long I doubt very much that would be able to tell the difference between 20 feet long and 21 feet long. Due to their popularity and large number of competing dealers for sales, Travato's are widely available, both new and used, at very attractive prices and have Winnebago standing behind them. If you plan to boondock/dry camp/OCCC can be very important. The Hymers and Roadtreks on the ProMaster chassis have very limited OCCC. The Travato’s (both 59K & 59G & without the Volta system), have approx. 1,850 OCCC. If your preference is to go with the best in its class Li-ion Volta system on the Travato, deduct approx. 250 lb. from the OCCC. Roadtrek, Hymer and Pleasureway don't have any Li-ion systems that even approach the Volta in terms of performance. If you are willing to spend $$$, for less the price of a PW Ascent, which I agree is very nice/very hiqh quality, you could have a Travato with Volta. As always, YMMV.
AreCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:30 PM   #20
Bronze Member

Default What Activ News?

Hello,

I am in the same boat and certainly prefer something that I can Boondock with frequently because I have no desire to stay at campgrounds unless I need to refill and dump tanks and recharge batteries. I was looking at the Activ, but it doesn’t work well for me in terms of the layout. However, Hymer also owns Corrado which makes the Banff. This layout is perfect so me and a fellow traveler basically have a little couch to ourselves, and we can make it into a queen bed if we prefer. The under hood generator, solar and lithium batteries are essentials for what I want. And being under 20 feet is also essential since I plan to do most of my traveling in big cities where I will be exploring downtown areas, or I will be driving to remote campsites and national parks where the smaller size will allow me better access.

I thought of a few solutions to combat the smaller fridge size. I will probably just get a really good ice chest because me and my boyfriend can go through quite a bit of beer and wine, so I would be leaving the refrigerator for just food. I thought about getting either a storage rack that is hitch mounted, or maybe even one of those outdoor kitchens which is hitch mounted and has the little grill and a place for a tiny refrigerator or ice chest. Honestly, I’ll only be going inside to cook food, so it would be better to have all of my drinks readily available without having to go back into the camper so that works for my situation. To each his own, of course though.

Of course, the Banff doesn’t have the same quality materials as the active, but those are things I really don’t care about since I can upgrade anything that I want as I’m pretty handy when it comes to carpentry. It does have all the features of the Activ, but with a different floor plan and a much lower price tag. I myself am particularly fond of the bathroom that opens in the back as it will be easy to hose sand off of my feet before I get back into the van. Also, a back bath seems essential if you are bringing furry friends with you.

I haven’t heard the news about the Activ which everyone is referring to though? I’m assuming this is concerning the Hymer group which also makes Corado. This has me nervous as I’m planning on getting a Banff next winter.
TinyTink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class b less than 20 feet