Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 08:38 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Class B monroe shock question

Hello to all. I own a '98 Xplorer 230XLW, and over the years have been satisfied with Monroe shocks, and plan to buy a set for my unit. Monroe sells two Gas-Magnum shocks "suitable" for a 3500 series Dodge van for both front and rear applications. Both are also suitable for 9000#GVW and 4000# front axles, although one set 555037(F) and 555038(R) includes a"Recreation package" designed for class B AND C RV's, and the other 34794(F) and 34910(R) does not. I have spoken to a Monroe rep, and others regarding the differences between these two designs, and as far as I can tell the only differences are that the 555 series has stiffer valving, but also is twice the price of the 34 series! Has anybody out there has any experience with using either or even better both of these designs on a Class B? The Monroe rep only states that either design will be an improvement over old shocks (duh) and that both will work, but not only would I prefer not spending double, I have to wonder if since the 555 series is also designed for a class C if they might produce too stiff a ride for a lighter class B. Hard to see why they cost so much more, and I suspect that because they are associated with RV use they figure they can mark them up more, which as most of you know is pretty much SOP.
nicaland is offline   Reply With Quote