Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2018, 08:51 PM   #21

GA = 7% advelorum upfront
Kdbjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruising7388 View Post
Washington is at liberty to enact any regulations they want but that doesn't necessarily make them legally enforceable. It's so broadly written that if someone moves from Delaware, (which has no sales tax) to Washington, he would be legally obligated to pay a compensating use tax on the purchase value of not just his car, boat or plane but all the possessions he brings with him.
Not so:

Quote:
Exmptions
People who move to Washington are exempt from the use tax on their household goods, personal effects, and motor vehicles, if they acquired the property more than 90 days prior to moving to Washington. However, boats, motor homes, trailers, and other recreational vehicles do not qualify as household goods. These items are subject to use tax, even if acquired more than 90 days prior to moving to Washington.
http://www.nmsd.wednet.edu/userfiles...nes.pdf?id=901

I am not sure on what basis you believe that these laws are legally unenforceable. State use taxes are very common in the US, and I have never heard of a successful legal challenge.

Now, PRACTICAL enforcement is another matter, but that is true of a great many laws. But, enforcement of use tax on vehicles is usually pretty straightforward, because collection is typically tied to vehicle registration.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:33 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Not so:

http://www.nmsd.wednet.edu/userfiles...nes.pdf?id=901

I am not sure on what basis you believe that these laws are legally unenforceable. State use taxes are very common in the US, and I have never heard of a successful legal challenge.

Now, PRACTICAL enforcement is another matter, but that is true of a great many laws. But, enforcement of use tax on vehicles is usually pretty straightforward, because collection is typically tied to vehicle registration.
I think you're missing the point. There are venues where the simple possession of tangible goods is taxed, typically on an annual basis, but sales and compensating use taxes involve the locus of the transaction, not possession. If you purchase something either in your state or out of state for use in your state, it is subject to sales or use tax respectively. But if you are physically in some other state when you make the purchase, there is no sales or use tax applicable because you didn't make the purchase in your home state, and when you return, you might conceivably be subject to a personal property tax but not a sales or use tax.

This is equally applicable to cars, boats and planes that you buy out of state. If you bring them home and store them in your garage, there is no taxable consequence. Where you are hung by the short hairs is that while most states can't stop you from merely possessing them free of taxes, they do have the power to prevent you from operating them without registering and paying the taxes they demand.

Were it otherwise, any gee-gaws you buy from a Camping World when you are out of state with your RV could be subject to a use tax when you get home particularly if that Camping World was in a no sales tax state.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 02:56 AM   #24

Default Is it a van or class B motorhome?

Bought my rig about 6 months ago and ran into confusion as to if it was a van or a motorhome. Here's the deal, originally registered as a GMC 2500 van my rig was built by a manufacturer that built custom vehicles. Built as a clone of a Roadtrek 190 the manufacturer kept the original VIN from GM and never created a motor home VIN number so.. it is just a basic 2500 van as far as the State is concerned. My insurance, however. does consider my rig as a motorhome. So the savings is real. The rate for a motorhome tag is much higher than for a basic GMC van
Saved some $$$.

QUOTE=Doneworking;79954]Cost of registering a B has been brought up in a couple of threads but not really pursued. I would be interested in how it varies state to state.

In Oklahoma, you pay 5% when you purchase of new or used vehicle of a "fair market value". This amount was 4% until last year when it was raised to 5%.

Annually, the cost is only that for a tag which is less than a hundred dollars. So, if you buy something worth $50,000 you pay 5% of that ($2500) up front and then an annual fee of less than $100.

How much do you pay in your state?[/QUOTE]
jbcomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 03:16 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcomer View Post
Bought my rig about 6 months ago and ran into confusion as to if it was a van or a motorhome. Here's the deal, originally registered as a GMC 2500 van my rig was built by a manufacturer that built custom vehicles. Built as a clone of a Roadtrek 190 the manufacturer kept the original VIN from GM and never created a motor home VIN number so.. it is just a basic 2500 van as far as the State is concerned. My insurance, however. does consider my rig as a motorhome. So the savings is real. The rate for a motorhome tag is much higher than for a basic GMC van
Saved some $$$.
Did you originally buy and title the van or did the builder buy it directly from GM?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Illinois Cook County aka CROOK COUNTY 8 3/4% sales tax, but the registration wasn't bad. Can't recall, but I believe around $100 or so
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote