Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2018, 12:17 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Class B vs Condo

Anyone have a condo or timeshare horror story to help me feel better about purchasing a RV that is going to depreciate year after year?

I know people that own vacation condos or they are involved in timeshares but...I don't feel comfortable asking them if they have any regrets.
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 12:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Owning the RV allows you to travel where and when you want to go - that condo will remain; the timeshare might be the type that allows you to go to a certain place each time. If you have a timeshare that allows choosing, you go to a new place, but that is it. When I had my '05 190, bought new, we run all over the country, no plans - head out and find your way! In '08, when the bottom had fallen out of the real estate in FL, we picked a super cheap buy on a home; then it was FL and VA, and rarely elsewhere...and the Trek was nothing more than the conveyance to and from FL. We dumped it, sold the '05 and bought a new '15 - no regrets. Just my two cents, Ron
Old 08-26-2018, 02:12 AM   #3
Platinum Member

We were given a timeshare as a gift from my parents around 20 years ago. We owned it for about 5 years. It was on the opposite side of the country from where we lived, so most years we traded it for somewhere more convenient.

When you added up the fees to trade and the annual maintenance fees, you could stay at a pretty nice hotel in the same location. It took us a few years to realize just what a bad deal it was, and in the end we just gave it back to the timeshare company that ran the resort, just to get out from under it.

I would NEVER recommend timeshare ownership to anyone...
Old 08-26-2018, 07:58 AM   #4
Platinum Member

We purchased our condo in Cracow almost 15 years ago, close to the downtown and to the airport. It is a great launch pad to travel in EU, a couple hours to Rome or Paris. It is a very different and not really comparable experience than camping in NA.

I am not sure we would get a condo nor a timeshare in NA, too close to B-class camping experience.

So, for us condo’s location was a critical element in the decision process. I am not sure about the timeshare option.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #5
Bronze Member

We had a beach condo for 16 years. Tired of M fees, taxes and assessments. One assessment was 30K a few years ago! Sold it this spring, paid off the mortgage on our primary residence and purchased a new class b which we paid cash for. One of the best decisions we’ve made! I of course knew it would depreciate immediately. However it has opened up a world of opportunity that wasn’t really feasible/justifiable with the condo. I would never ever own a timeshare.
We just returned from an awesome trip to Co and NM and have more trips planned. It will continue to depreciate and I’m okay with that. These is a cost to everything. I just don’t buy what I can’t afford. Good luck on your decision!
Roadie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 05:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We've rolled up 80,000 miles in 3 years. I feel a bit sad for the folks who buy these wonderful vehicles, then let them sit, especially when the reason is involuntary.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
Platinum Member

We've had both timeshare and B and they are good for different reasons. We bought our beach-front timeshare 25 years ago and we are just now getting ready to sell/give it away. We lived in the desert so a week at the beach (Oceanside, CA) for the family was something we looked forward to year after year. Because we always went to the same place, we got to know our way around - best grocery stores, restaurants, sights, etc. Maintenance fees (about $650/year now) and the purchase price ($2,500) were far less than staying in a hotel suite and the quality of the accommodations has always been pretty good.

Now the kids are gone and they can't get to the timeshare or they can't get the same time off work so we are going to let it go. We bought a B for just the two of us because we now have more than one week of vacation each year and we don't need space for a whole family.

I've heard lots of timeshare horror stories so guess we were just lucky.

I figure if we keep our B for 5 years (very likely), it will probably depreciate $5K per year. I didn't buy either one as an investment.
Old 08-26-2018, 11:31 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default RV vs...

I far prefer RVs because condos are too difficult to maneuver and park.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 10:54 AM   #9
Bronze Member

I have a beachfront condo in Maine and an older (1994) Sportsmobile class B. I love them both! In the summer I rent my condo for top dollar, and then camp on the cheap in the Sportsmobile at oceanfront campgrounds. . My condos awesome, but theirs nothing like a campfire on a star-lit night!
Leland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #10

We've owned a time share condo since 1980. We love it, although it seems that out of the several locations at our disposal we tend to use the Maui location exclusively. As they say "Maui no ka oi" (the best!) The total cost per year is about the same a renting a cheaper, not as nice condo on the island. Our beach front time share is spotless, refurbished on a regular basis and the grounds are beautiful and well maintained . We get one week/yr and are able to bank 3 weeks at a time. Between the time share (3 weeks on Maui every 3 years) and our 2015 RT SS Agile we seem to have all the bases covered. Retired since 2016.
skier1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 05:42 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Condos have HOA bills, and assessments. You could be on the hook for thousands, with 30 days to pay thousands of dollars, or else get foreclosed on, with almost no notice.

Maybe a compromise would be a permanent RV spot, or even a Thousand Trails membership?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #12
Platinum Member

my wife and I bought DVC- Disney Vacation Club-in 1993.

Have never regretted it and believe it or not -I can sell it for more-not a lot-now then when i purchased it.

i bought in 1993 for 56 dollars a point-we have 230 points.

Today they are 170 dollars a point.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:58 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Default My friend has FOUR time shares

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post
Condos have HOA bills, and assessments. You could be on the hook for thousands, with 30 days to pay thousands of dollars, or else get foreclosed on, with almost no notice.

Maybe a compromise would be a permanent RV spot, or even a Thousand Trails membership?
You know what...it's all about how you use it....
Have a friend who travels all the time and actually uses the time shares.......and likes it very much..

Yes...you can pay for anything and justify it......

My RS Adventurous is in the shop again.... repairs.....

Great thing about the RV is ....no reservations to use it.... day trips or weekend getaway... just go.... not as planned......

But, things do go WRONG...... trade off.........
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 05:59 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Default Do you have a 1000 trails membership?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlts22 View Post

If you do or know someone who has recommended it.. please share..
Old 09-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Try looking at your purchase this way. You bought the RV for the freedom to travel and have fun. You're enjoying yourself and fulfillng your bucket list. That counts for a lot.
You didn't buy the RV as an investment so give it a nice name and treat it like a member of the family. Take care of it so it doesn't get sick and repair it when it does and it will repay you many times over.
soohma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:25 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Default Mobile time share...or mobile condo.. take your pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by soohma View Post
Try looking at your purchase this way. You bought the RV for the freedom to travel and have fun. You're enjoying yourself and fulfillng your bucket list. That counts for a lot.
You didn't buy the RV as an investment so give it a nice name and treat it like a member of the family. Take care of it so it doesn't get sick and repair it when it does and it will repay you many times over.
Enjoy.... It's a mobile time share....the time share is wherever you are..
Old 09-02-2018, 09:59 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by soohma View Post
I wish to thank you for your words of wisdom.
Though I am still shopping,once I do purchase and am on the road,I will use them as a guidepost to my freedom ahead!��
bobkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 11:26 PM   #18
Bronze Member

Default Class B vs Condo

You can spend let’s say $200,000 for a beach front condo, or you can either stay in your class B on the ocean for free ( yes there are free beachfront boondocking) or pay $1000 a month in a RV beachfront resort. When you get tired of the site, you can move to a lakefront site or up in the mountains.
No property taxes, association fees, etc.
ChristyCappello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 01:03 AM   #19
Platinum Member

Default No ..you can't just pay $200,000, but go ahead tell us where that is...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyCappello View Post
You can spend let’s say $200,000 for a beach front condo, or you can either stay in your class B on the ocean for free ( yes there are free beachfront boondocking) or pay $1000 a month in a RV beachfront resort. When you get tired of the site, you can move to a lakefront site or up in the mountains.
No property taxes, association fees, etc.
Hmm, if we could pay $200,000 for a beachfront condo in Los Angeles or Southern California...we'd probably already have done this......

I have no clue what location you're referring to.... but...I think you're missing a zero here....

Sure, for $2 million ... yeah....no problem....

I agree with you that we can easily enjoy our rig right on the beach in Carpinteria, California... but not for free......we pay for that....and it's a State Park....

There's a few limited areas like Rincon Beach ...if you can get a spot...it's day use only....

Look...we love our Class B ..... but....it's all relative...a condo is going to appreciate while the vehicle is not....

Why don't you tell us where these FREE locations are....?
There's NO such thing as FREE ... someone has to pay.... like the concept of NO FREE PARKING.....it's being charged somewhere... shopping malls... customer pays...
Free areas... surrounding taxes on property owners.....a state park may have some free areas... but residents in. the area pay something for that to be maintained.....it all costs something and it's NOT FREE..... just remember that....
Old 09-03-2018, 01:11 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
There's NO such thing as FREE ... someone has to pay...
Forced Redistribution Everyone's Earnings!
Oliver2017 is offline   Reply With Quote