Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2016, 06:52 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Class B vs. Light Expedition Vehicle

I would change my B anytime for a light expedition vehicle like this sweet Autark Runner from Woelcke. Would you?

Autark runner 4x4 - individuell 2015

More photos on my Smugmug album
https://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-...Gn/i-2XXWN86/A

or on my FB page https://www.facebook.com/pg/kamperva...55603238033756

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:55 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I would but the issue in North America is the availability of 4x4 cutaway or cab van chassis, Mercedes doesn't sell one over here and neither does VW, eliminating the two popular ones used in Europe. Sportsmobile has a Class C on the Econoline cutaway converted to 4x4 and you might be able to do it on a Transit cutaway with a 4x4 conversion.

Next best option over here is a pickup chassis so you end up with something like a Tiger Adventure Vehicle.

Many buyers end up going for a pop up slide in truck camper or flatbed truck camper like a 4 Wheel Camper or an XP Camper V1.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #3

Wow. I really like that layout. Thanks for sharing! Wish there were more options like this in the US.
vroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 12:58 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I would but the issue in North America is the availability of 4x4 cutaway or cab van chassis, Mercedes doesn't sell one over here and neither does VW, eliminating the two popular ones used in Europe. Sportsmobile has a Class C on the Econoline cutaway converted to 4x4 and you might be able to do it on a Transit cutaway with a 4x4 conversion.

Next best option over here is a pickup chassis so you end up with something like a Tiger Adventure Vehicle.

Many buyers end up going for a pop up slide in truck camper or flatbed truck camper like a 4 Wheel Camper or an XP Camper V1.
You're right. Maybe MB will build 4x4 cutaways in their new US plant.
Old 12-01-2016, 01:13 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I kind of like that layout, although it would be a really, really, really, tough sell at home with the climb up and cross sleeping bed
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:54 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I kind of like that layout, although it would be a really, really, really, tough sell at home with the climb up and cross sleeping bed
I wouldn't mind climbing in that bed if you could sleep lengthwise, but that would add at least 30 inch to the overall length of the vehicle.

The bed frame that slides over the kitchen counter is a simple but efficient solution for saving space by overlapping functions. The same goes for the layout of the bathroom that is also used to access the front cab. The only problem I find with the layout is the lack of a front and back view. A bit to claustrophobic. I dream of a big awning type opening like the Exploryx vehicle shown on the photo.

Se more at: https://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-...j7/i-3hkM69T/A

Old 12-01-2016, 04:02 AM   #7
Platinum Member

This reminds me of the 4x4 Class B Sprinter RVs made by Outside Vans:
https://www.outsidevan.com/our-vans/
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #8
Platinum Member

The large opening with a window insert is also used by Global Expedition Vehicles in many of their models. Here is one example...

Turtle Model 2014 | Global Expedition Vehicles
Old 12-01-2016, 03:03 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
Yes, but Outside vans are not really equipped for expedition, no insulation for real winter use, rarely equipped with real toilet enclosure. More very-cool-outdoorsy-fashion-victim-gear-vans!

I love their design but I wouldn't spent 160K on these.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:28 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Location: East of world famous Sedro Woolley, west of Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
Their van names remind me of this youtube:
https://youtu.be/HOwPNqZiUdM?t=34s
Now, with trip reports!!!!
skagitstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 05:47 PM   #11
Platinum Member

You could also just go the DIY Sportsmobile route. I am going from a 4x4 Suburban (Which I need to sell now...don't want to though) to my Class B Pleasure Way. I really wish my PW was 4x4 and the conversion is cost prohibitive Oh well, I am going to roll wit the PW for a while and see how much I miss the "go anywhere" aspect of my burb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00467.jpg (235.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg Suburban Collage 2.jpg (300.1 KB, 8 views)
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:03 PM   #12
Platinum Member

You may have a romanticized belief about a 4 x 4 Class B. The first time you go down a bumpy road it might get knocked out of you. Not because you won't be able to but because you will be able to and will cringe with every jostling of stuff in your cabinets or maybe a door popping open and spilling all your contents. Then imagine how much worse it would be on those roads you think you can only go down with a 4 x 4.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 09:24 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
You may have a romanticized belief about a 4 x 4 Class B. The first time you go down a bumpy road it might get knocked out of you. Not because you won't be able to but because you will be able to and will cringe with every jostling of stuff in your cabinets or maybe a door popping open and spilling all your contents. Then imagine how much worse it would be on those roads you think you can only go down with a 4 x 4.

LOL! YOu may have a point. here Davydd.
saenzm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:14 AM   #14
Platinum Member

An advantage of the small expedition vehicles is that they are designed to handle rough routes and they typically have a 4x4 system designed for more rugged use and have higher clearance. Of course, on very rugged routes you are going to proceed at low speeds in any case.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:21 AM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
As we all joke about: Just put it on the floor, because thats where it will end up anyway...
Marley is offline   Reply With Quote