Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-20-2022, 01:00 PM   #1

Default Class B winter camping in New England?

What upgrades have you done in order to keep warm, insulate, reduce condensation, and keeping hoses from freezing? Any helpfull tips would be appreciated.
DB &Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
Bronze Member

Default Me, too

I am curious about this as well. I have only dry camped in sub freezing temps, although I have camped without winterizing with lows in the upper 20's.
One thing I have done to stay warmer when dry camping in very cold temps was to use a long tension bar (I used a painting extension pole) to wedge across the front behind the seats, then I drape a blanket over to keep furnace heat in the back.
shelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 04:26 PM   #3
Site Team

If you have hydronic heating such as the Rixen's Espar-based system, the best thing you can do is to extend the glycol lines to protect the tanks and under-vehicle plumbing. This trick was introduced by ARV a number of years ago. It is great. If you also enclose the area in sheets of extruded insulation, it will also warm the floor and contribute significantly to comfort.

Not a trivial project, but not rocket-science either.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:33 AM   #4
Platinum Member

We have a lot of windows in our van. The most cost effective thing we did for cold weather camping was making some heavy duty thinsulate window covering for all the windows. We made them to fit perfect and stay in place with magnets. Big difference.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 01:29 AM   #5
Silver Member

Fuzzy toilet seat covers !!
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 01:59 AM   #6
Silver Member

Default Sleep in Your driveway.

I'd suggest you sleep in van at home when it gets down to 25° or less and preferably windy. Turn the heat on in the morning. You will quickly find all the cold air leaks. And where the cold just seems to roll off the windows. And that the heat will rise and push the cold air down to your feet. Once you "fix" one cold area then you will find two more. Ha!

Once you "fix" some problem areas try it again.

We have a 2018 Hymer Sunlight2 (Promaster). It is NOT insulated. We are not winter campers but have figured out how to be --reasonably-- comfortable in a range of upper teens at night but gets 40ish during the day. We do not heat at night. Propane furnace warms van up in 30-60 minutes. Two electric heaters are good IF we have shore power.
Ken Allan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 12:17 PM   #7
Bud
Platinum Member

"I'd suggest you sleep in van at home when it gets down to 25° or less and preferably windy. Turn the heat on in the morning. You will quickly find all the cold air leaks."

Or no wind required. Simply close up the van doors, windows ........... Then turn on the fantastic/max fan. You will feel the air on your hand blowing out the van.

Use one of them inexpensive infrared heat guns, and you'll know just where to do whatever..............
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2022, 07:59 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Don’t know if this article is any good, but it was linked in the email from this forum that included your question:

https://www.doityourselfrv.com/how-t...or-winter-use/
OregonTrader is offline   Reply With Quote