Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 03:05 PM   #1

Default Class b with cargo/toy space

New to searching for a first time RV. Wondering what advice I can get for models with interior cargo areas big enough for bikes? Wanting to carry as many as 4 bikes and if I build a ranking system that mean a space 3-4' deep and 5-6' high.

Anything out there that exists like that
Bikeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Safari Condo Promaster or Sprinter XL Flex with the height adjustable bed is really your only option unless you want to do a custom build from Outside Van or Sportsmobile.
AlexJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
Site Team

The lamented Great West Vans had a very slick tri-fold rear sofa bed that not only was completely free-span underneath, but also could be slid forward to create a huge amount of cargo space while traveling. Your bikes would have to be outside at night, but other than that it might be your best option, if you can find one.

Here is a pic (from DavyDD's old van) that shows the seat in the forward position:

Last I heard, that van was still for sale.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Nothing much beats the Winnebago Travato 59G for cargo/toy space. There are lots of pictures out there if you search.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:20 PM   #5
Platinum Member

You wouldn't be able to store bikes inside with the bed down in the Travato 59G. Could store two with the bed up during the day. The bed is a little narrow for two people IMO. The XL Flex bed is a queen with even some overhang sill room on the sides.
Old 02-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Sportsmobile Custom Camper Vans - Toy Haulers
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:27 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Nothing beats the cargo space of our Safari Condo XL Flex layout, with the electric height ajustable bed, available on the ProMaster and Sprinter.

It's a long shot to get one, 12 month wait and if you are in the US, you have to bring your van in Quebec to have it upfited there.

I wonder why there's still not a lot of US upfitters apart from Winnebago with the Travato 59G, and Hymercar USA ( https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3) that offer a big cargo space under the bed.

The Safari Condo web site
Ram - ProMaster FLEX

The complete album at https://centrelab.smugmug.com/PERSO-...docom/n-MNSpq/

GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:40 PM   #8
Platinum Member

As an alternative, you can get a Yakima Rack & Roll trailer, which can handle all four bikes, is very lightweight, and can hang on a wall. It isn't a lightweight on the pocketbook at $2000, but it will handle 5-7 bikes, depending on model.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:33 PM   #9
Platinum Member

The Advanced RV comes with the tri-fold sofa like the GWVan which can slide forward. However, on the extended body Sprinter there is room for two full size bike behind the sofa without sliding it forward. You can get the same with a twin bed arrangement or you can design you own.

I have electric articulating twin beds in my Advanced RV which can store more underneath than my GWVan shown above with a screen tent and two inflatable kayaks. BTW, that GWVan storage works with the sofa all the way back. I moved it forward to show all the contents. One thing I tried to accomplish was the need not to have to shift things around for multiple use.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:47 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
The Advanced RV comes with the tri-fold sofa like the GWVan which can slide forward. However, on the extended body Sprinter there is room for two full size bike behind the sofa without sliding it forward. You can get the same with a twin bed arrangement or you can design you own.

I have electric articulating twin beds in my Advanced RV which can store more underneath than my GWVan shown above with a screen tent and two inflatable kayaks. BTW, that GWVan storage works with the sofa all the way back. I moved it forward to show all the contents. One thing I tried to accomplish was the need not to have to shift things around for multiple use.
But with that trifold sofa arrangement Davyyd, you'd still have to leave expensive bicycles outside at night (when you make your bed.) The XL Flex is nice because it's a permanent queen and the bicycles are hidden below. You can't even see them when you try to look in the window. Very hassle-free and secure.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:50 PM   #11
Platinum Member

4 bicycles actually will fit below the bed. My wife and I each have a mountain and triathlon bicycle.
Old 02-16-2016, 11:25 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJ View Post
But with that trifold sofa arrangement Davyyd, you'd still have to leave expensive bicycles outside at night (when you make your bed.) The XL Flex is nice because it's a permanent queen and the bicycles are hidden below. You can't even see them when you try to look in the window. Very hassle-free and secure.
No. The Advanced RV extended body Sprinter with the Tri-fold sofa has 13" or more behind the bed where two bikes can stay in place while sleeping. I don't have the sofa arrangement as I moved my articulating beds 6-1/2" towards the back but do have room for oversize chairs like zero gravity loungers that stand upright. I haven't tested to see if I can stick one bike back there. I'm not a biker even though I don't have to save my gonads for children anymore. We hike mostly.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #13
Site Team

GWV made extended length models as well. I am not sure whether they put the extra length behind the bed or in front of it.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:52 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Our bikes (handlebars, pedals) are much wider than 13". And the 20'8" length campervan is more manageable than 24' plus. The new bike seats keep the pressure off.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:04 AM   #15
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
GWV made extended length models as well. I am not sure whether they put the extra length behind the bed or in front of it.
I think they put that extra length in front of it so as to make a "king" bed, IIRC.

.....Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeguy View Post
New to searching for a first time RV. Wondering what advice I can get for models with interior cargo areas big enough for bikes? Wanting to carry as many as 4 bikes and if I build a ranking system that mean a space 3-4' deep and 5-6' high.

Anything out there that exists like that
This is close, could be done with more RV features. Brian Lopes' Custom Sprinter Van - Pinkbike
ACree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 03:11 AM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACree View Post
This is close, could be done with more RV features. Brian Lopes' Custom Sprinter Van - Pinkbike

Outside Van vans are mostly luxury sports gear haulers, but they did some fully equipped very cool and "stylish" camper vans like the Brown Pow ...sold for 280K$! But it has an essential built-in "power juice" blender!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...7474720&type=3

Old 02-20-2016, 03:20 AM   #18
Platinum Member

And OSV is one of the most bike-friendly upfitter around

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...2388992&type=3

New 2015 Mercedes Sprinter diesel 4x4 is the dream vehicle, Outside Van makes it real - Bikerumor

Old 04-20-2016, 01:23 AM   #19

George,
Did you buy your Sari Condo directly from SC in Quebec?

I've been in contact with Daniel at SC sales and was essentially told, when I was ready, to drop off an American Chrysler promaster with the correct specs at their factory in Quebec and that the conversion would take 6-8 weeks and "voila" I would have a SC Flex. I'm waiting for the 2017 Promaster.

Of course I would have to reconfirm space and time available dates and Promaster model details. (Dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s)

Did you have any issues when coming into the U.S? Did customs want to "tax" the conversion or was U.S, customs simply unaware of a conversion, just another Recrossing the border.

Any issues I should be aware of?

Thank you,
Juju Pang jujupang@gmail.com 808-227-0066
Airstream Westfalia 2005 since new
Jujupang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:52 AM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jujupang View Post
Georges,
Did you buy your Safari Condo directly from SC in Quebec?
I've been in contact with Daniel at SC sales and was essentially told, when I was ready, to drop off an American Chrysler promaster with the correct specs at their factory in Quebec and that the conversion would take 6-8 weeks and "voila" I would have a SC Flex. I'm waiting for the 2017 Promaster.
Of course I would have to reconfirm space and time available dates and Promaster model details. (Dot the "i"s and cross the "t"s)
Did you have any issues when coming into the U.S? Did customs want to "tax" the conversion or was U.S, customs simply unaware of a conversion, just another Recrossing the border.
Any issues I should be aware of?
Thank you,
Juju Pang jujupang@gmail.com 808-227-0066
Airstream Westfalia 2005 since new
We live in Quebec, so it was easy to buy the first XL-Flex conversion. We already ordered an RT Agile so it was a bold move to cancel our contract and go ahead with the ProMaster that was a newcomer in North America. The reputation of Safari Condo, the excellent relation we had with the owners and the very clever design of the camper inspired by european layouts convinced us to sign the contract even before they finished the first prototype.

We are so glad we made that choice. It fits our lifestyle so well. We like to bring tons of cargo and sport equipment when we camp. The elevating platform bed works incredibly well to access cargo and is very comfortable with the memory foam option (we since added Froli springs mainly for a cooler bed in hot weather). The front dinette and the two zone living space is great (one can go to bed or get up earlier without imposing it's schedule). The shower is big enough to be used to shower even if you are north of 6'! I am still trying to figure how to add more ventilation there. The roof is covered with solar panels, so the only solution would be to add a vent or a small window on the exterior wall of the toilet/shower cubicle. The Fantastic fan and the openings in the wall of the enclosure provide adequate ventilation so I'm not in a rush.

I don't see how to improve the build apart from eventually having Lithium batteries but SC is not offering them yet. I'm glad that they are very conservative when you read about the problems RT had with the ECOTREK options. Our 380W solar panels provide great autonomy (even with two fridges) but would love to have a little more when wild camping in rainy weather and dense forests. I asked them to install a Trimetric meter so it's easy now to monitor the SOC more precisely.

Concerned coming back to the US with your SC you can read the thread on one of the first MX that crossed the border http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f7...r-mx-4006.html

Good luck on your project!