Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-28-2017, 01:12 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Close Shave

I have a 2000 Roadtrek P190. In fact I just bought it and brought it home. In the process of inspecting, scrutinizing. There is only 1 small kitchen sink in the rig!
so.....
Where do you fellows shave???
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:48 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklugie View Post
I have a 2000 Roadtrek P190. In fact I just bought it and brought it home. In the process of inspecting, scrutinizing. There is only 1 small kitchen sink in the rig!
so.....
Where do you fellows shave???
All the aisle shower units are that way. I use an electric, outside with the van side mirror turned out for a mirror. Puts any wiskers outside so no mess to hear about. That is of course if I actually happen to shave while traveling.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:09 AM   #3
Platinum Member

If you shave with razor and shaving cream your only choice is that kitchen sink.

I long ago decided to get a good electric razor for on the road. Now I use it all the time. It is faster for me and saves a lot of precious water. After a while you get used to a tiny bit of stubble feel instead of the baby butt smooth feel that you only have for a couple of hours anyway. Then you can progress to the Hollywood full stubble look and then when you retire or just become an old crank you can grow a beard.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:44 PM   #4
Site Team

I haven't shaved since 1974.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 12:46 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Hi gklugie,

I have learned some stuff on a B forum like hot water is Not needed to wash dishes.

The 190P with the efficient aisle shower had me trying an electric for the first time in 30 years. Surprisingly, I liked it for up to 3 days of growth. I also learned that I could have used a blade dripping very little water only. I did not realize that shaving cream is not necessary. What is necessary depending on the person is simply getting the beard fully wet which takes time. In my case, about 3-4 minutes while I use a Sonicare and dental floss.

I tried the no hot water for dishes at home, bingo it worked. Hot want is more pleasant though. Shaving cream for me was nothing but a placebo! I had bought into the commercials. Hey, anyone remember the Joe Montana one?

ymmv

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:23 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have not used a blade in over 20 years. I have used a Norelco for many years. I use it every 3 or 4 days. I use it dry. I do not use it in the shower. I do not use shaving cream. Works just fine.
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:32 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Just use the kitchen sink with water in a mug. I never understood the need for a sink in a class b bathroom takes up too much space and adds more stuff to fix. However I do like the large ARV bathrooms and the Hymer Aktiv design but it's really overkill in my opinion but I am used to backpacking, boats and cabins with no running water. When "camping" (off the ground in a van with fridge, heat, AC, and home theater with surround sound) I don't shave much anyway because my wife likes the Hollywood stubble.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 03:36 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Close Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
All the aisle shower units are that way. I use an electric, outside with the van side mirror turned out for a mirror. Puts any wiskers outside so no mess to hear about. That is of course if I actually happen to shave while traveling.

I also do this - keeps the interior cleaner. I also sometimes do it at home in my driveway.

- - Mike
2012 Sprinter 3500 Extended converted B-Van by Airstream
Old 01-28-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
Silver Member

I have the Kojak look going on........or for those not old enough for that i mean like Mr Clean.
So i use if camping the outside morning set up of basin with hot water and van mirror but i do need a little shaving cream. saves on water instead of shaving in the shower

Who loves ya baby
Davidk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 11:28 PM   #10
Silver Member

I shave in campground showers when available and just don't shave in between. My year Airstream Interstate did not include a bathroom sink, which for me is fine as the room is on the small side.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:10 AM   #11
Platinum Member

At home, I like Braun shavers that use the alcohol cleaning solution because they are always sanitary.

On the road, obviously a cleaning station isn't going to work, so I go for a Norelco shaver which works exceedingly well.

As for facial hair, I look absolutely goofy with any whatsoever, so I keep shaven.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

the 2004 190P I just bought a few months ago came with an insert for using the kitchen sink as a bathroom sink. We don't plan to ever use it. I reckon when the time comes I'll shave elsewhere.

anyways, if you want you can probably order the insert from Roadtrek.
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManWonder View Post
the 2004 190P I just bought a few months ago came with an insert for using the kitchen sink as a bathroom sink. We don't plan to ever use it. I reckon when the time comes I'll shave elsewhere.

anyways, if you want you can probably order the insert from Roadtrek.
There are probably something like 90% that are never used. Anyone can have mine.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 07:41 PM   #14
Site Team

I've never even understood those things. What problem are they intended to solve?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:06 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I've never even understood those things. What problem are they intended to solve?
People who are afraid of getting kitchen sink stuff (whatever kind of stuff you don't like I guess) on their face or in their mouth or in their hair. Not an issue I have but some do...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:21 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
well, i guess if you have too much empty space under the sink, you can stow it there.

seriously, the thing takes up a lot of space!

i reckon there are folks who just can't stand using their kitchen sink for bathroom sink purposes

me, it seems a little silly
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:44 PM   #17
Silver Member

Default In the sink

I stand in the aisle facing the mirror on the bathroom door, take a few strokes, turn around and rinse the razor in the kitchen sink, and repeat. We brush our teeth and wash our hands in the same sink so shaving isn't anything special. I never gave it a second thought.
fwdanielson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #18

Use a cup with warm water to rinse the razor, then pour down toliet, if you want a blade shave,
jeomelia is offline   Reply With Quote