Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2022, 12:48 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default CO/LP Gas monitor question

Just returned from trip to Michigan from FLA. LP gas detector alarmed for no reason, pulled fuse. both LP gas and CO detectors are 1999 ORIGINAL equipment, LONG past needing replacement. In my 1999 Dodge 190 Popular the LP detector is mounted near the floor in the dinette area and the CO monitor mounted about eye level behind the "TV" cabinet. Both are MTI /Safe-T-Alert brand. The LP detector model (40-442) is still available, but the CO monitor (60-541) is no longer available.
My questions:
Since the CO detector is no longer available, can I install a combination CO/LP gas detector sold by Safe_T Alert instead of two detectors?
If I buy a combination detector , which would be the best location, under the dinette or behind the TV cabinet?
Any other brands of detectors besides Safe_T Alert that are available.
thanks in advance, Ed
Old 08-09-2022, 01:18 AM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedPanEd View Post
Just returned from trip to Michigan from FLA. LP gas detector alarmed for no reason, pulled fuse. both LP gas and CO detectors are 1999 ORIGINAL equipment, LONG past needing replacement. In my 1999 Dodge 190 Popular the LP detector is mounted near the floor in the dinette area and the CO monitor mounted about eye level behind the "TV" cabinet. Both are MTI /Safe-T-Alert brand. The LP detector model (40-442) is still available, but the CO monitor (60-541) is no longer available.
My questions:
Since the CO detector is no longer available, can I install a combination CO/LP gas detector sold by Safe_T Alert instead of two detectors?
If I buy a combination detector , which would be the best location, under the dinette or behind the TV cabinet?
Any other brands of detectors besides Safe_T Alert that are available.
thanks in advance, Ed
Hi Ed,

Propane is heavy, so that is obvious.

Smoke is light, so obvious also.

co is everywhere and will find you.

Me, I'd go with combination propane/co and combination smoke/co.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

My van had a household type smoke detector, I replaced it with a combo smoke/CO detector. I was able to find original type ( but with new date) MTI detectors both CO and LP ( amazon?) ...when I was putting in the lp detector I found a bad wiring connection from previous owner or shop... probably didnt work for years.
yes, gas detector low, co high.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote