Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2018, 12:12 AM   #1

Default Coach alarms

Hi everyone I'm new to the site , and I was wondering if anyone added a aftermarket alarm to there class b
Roadtrekguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 12:34 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrekguy View Post
Hi everyone I'm new to the site , and I was wondering if anyone added a aftermarket alarm to there class b
I did a Viper 5706V install a few years ago. Here is an older thread that discusses various installs (including mine) in detail:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...tems-1154.html
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 04:09 PM   #3
Gold Member

I don’t have an alarm, but I make sure I’m fully prepared to address any threat while I’m inside the vehicle. If I’m away from the vehicle, that might be a problem.
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:24 AM   #4

Default Alarm

We had a remote start (MB OEM) and an alarm system installed in our 2017 PW Ascent.
I wouldn’t do either again, it was a waste of money. We have never used either feature. Spend your money replacing the Becker in-dash system with something good.
rlpack1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:42 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Putting in some kind of hot wire proof kill switch is probably one of the most effective things that you can do. With a lot of ways to do it, you can have it so the van starts, but then dies in very short time, so the van would likely be in a moved place that the thieves don't want to be.

As long as they don't get the entire van, any losses of a breakin can be kept to a minimum, especially if you also have a small safe for valuables.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 05:43 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Alarm cost??

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I did a Viper 5706V install a few years ago. Here is an older thread that discusses various installs (including mine) in detail:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...tems-1154.html
Could you please disclose what you paid to have your alarm installed??
I've heard that they are VERY difficult and expensive on a Sprinter .. $$$$...

Thanks.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 03:25 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 View Post
Could you please disclose what you paid to have your alarm installed??
I've heard that they are VERY difficult and expensive on a Sprinter .. $$$$...

Thanks.
I did it myself. It is very easy and quick. At least it was when I did it a couple of years ago.

The key is a device called a "DBALL 2", which is what people in the car alarm world call a "bypass module". What it really is is a simple programmable interface between a "dumb" alarm and a given vehicle's CANbus. You need to either learn how to program it yourself using an inexpensive programmer, or else find a supplier (most likely on eBay) who will sell you one pre-programmed for your specific vehicle, which is what I did.

This used to be easy, but I have heard rumors that the manufacturer has recently replaced the DBALL 2 with a newer device that they have locked-down so as to protect the rip-off "certified installers" who are the source of your $$$$ rumors. I don't know for sure, but there still seem to be DBALLs around, so you may want to move quickly.

I wrote a detailed tutorial on how to do this very simple install over at Sprinter Source:

https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...744#post399744

I really want to emphasize how simple this really is. There are literally only FOUR wires to connect between the alarm system and your van: Power, GND, and the two CANBUS wires. The industry tries hard to make all of this difficult and mysterious, but it is not.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:01 PM   #8
Silver Member

I also have the Viper 5706V alarm that I installed myself. It was an easy installation, just 4 wires to connect to the vehicle as Avanti mentioned. The CAN Bus 2-wire connector is the tricky part, MB don’t sell those, you can either find a connector from salvaged parts or DIY one from a 2 pin PC connector.

Words of caution before you proceed though, the “bypass module” DBALL 2 has some quirks, occasionally it will randomly lock/unlock the vehicle or stops responding (at least on mine). I have read similar reports/complaints about this including owners that had their power door lock actuators burnt out from the rapid locking/unlocking cycle while their vehicle is parked. The only way to make it work again is to reset the DBALL 2 by unplugging it from power. I probably reset mine 2 or 3 times after more than 2 years of use, others have been lucky and reported no problems with theirs. DEI (maker of the alarm/ DBALL 2) will not help you or honor warranty if you get your alarm or had it installed from somewhere else other than their “Authorized Dealers”.

Another bad news is DEI had locked down their website access from casual users like us, only Authorized dealers have full access to their site. You need access to their site for programming the DBALL, although there are sellers on EBAY that sells pre-programmed DBALL 2, if you need to change settings or needs reprogramming you’re out of luck. LASTLY, DEI has dropped their support on MB Sprinters. The newest DBALL 3 does no longer support Sprinters. I have since deactivated my alarm as I got paranoid/tired of dealing with it, who needs an alarm that opens the door for the thieves to get into your van. So, do your research first and tread lightly…good luck.

Edit: The Viper 5706V is about $200 and DBALL2 is around $50. Optional sensors like glass breakage sensor is around 20 bucks.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:17 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT.SS View Post
Words of caution before you proceed though, the “bypass module” DBALL 2 has some quirks, occasionally it will randomly lock/unlock the vehicle or stops responding (at least on mine). I have read similar reports/complaints about this including owners that had their power door lock actuators burnt out from the rapid locking/unlocking cycle while their vehicle is parked. The only way to make it work again is to reset the DBALL 2 by unplugging it from power. I probably reset mine 2 or 3 times after more than 2 years of use, others have been lucky and reported no problems with theirs.
FWIW: My system has performed flawlessly from day 1.

If mine ever hung in the way described, I would disconnect it, too. But so far it hasn't. I would suspect faulty programming.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:58 PM   #10
Silver Member

Quote:
FWIW: My system has performed flawlessly from day 1.

If mine ever hung in the way described, I would disconnect it, too. But so far it hasn't. I would suspect faulty programming.

I highly doubt it is a programming issue. I bought it pre-programmed and even bought an XKLOADER and reprogrammed it myself, took it to BestBuy one time for reprogramming with same results. There are similar reports over at Sprinter-forum with busted door lock actuator as a result.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:27 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT.SS View Post
I highly doubt it is a programming issue. I bought it pre-programmed and even bought an XKLOADER and reprogrammed it myself, took it to BestBuy one time for reprogramming with same results. There are similar reports over at Sprinter-forum with busted door lock actuator as a result.
Is this the thread at Sprinter-Source that you are referring to?
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...311#post571311

It was the only one I could find. I am interested in this topic, since I would consider such a failure a serious issue. I do not at all doubt your report, but my experience has been very different.

I wonder if the generation of firmware could be at fault. I am pretty sure that the Sprinter DBALL programming has changed over the years. Your van is MY2011, right? I noticed that the vans in the above thread were 2007 and 2008. Mine is 2014. Perhaps something in the van and/or the programming have changed since 2011. I wonder if the 2014 programming would work in your van?
Old 06-01-2018, 04:04 PM   #12
Silver Member

Quote:
Is this the thread at Sprinter-Source that you are referring to?
https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...311#post571311

It was the only one I could find. I am interested in this topic, since I would consider such a failure a serious issue. I do not at all doubt your report, but my experience has been very different.

I wonder if the generation of firmware could be at fault. I am pretty sure that the Sprinter DBALL programming has changed over the years. Your van is MY2011, right? I noticed that the vans in the above thread were 2007 and 2008. Min is 2014. Perhaps something in the van and/or the programming have changed since 2011. I wonder if the 2014 programming would work in your van?
Also this older thread https://sprinter-source.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=51108
Anyways, my van is 2010, I did tried the 2011 firmware but since DEI has locked down their site and the alarm fault rarely happens my luck just runs out. About a month ago, I tried to buy a new DBALL 2 from BestBuy (Authorized Dealer) hoping mine is just faulty, this is when I found out that their bypass modules (DBALL 2 and 3) no longer support Sprinters (per Best Buy technician). They have what it is called DLPK CAN Bus door lock kit that will work for Sprinters up to year 2010 models, 2011+ models are no longer supported. The DLPK does not integrate to OEM Sprinter remotes so I was told.

There is another bypass module made by Idatalink which is user flashable using a separate flashing device that claims to support Sprinters. But for now, I kind of hesitant to go any further and putting more money into it and ending with same results or maybe even bricking something in the Van.