Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2022, 01:56 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Coach batteries back of Roadtrek 190

I purchased a Roadtrek 190 last summer, and in the Fall, thought wise (because of the cold winter here) to remove the two coach batteries in the rear compartment.

This was difficult to do, because they are located in a recess in the floor, and there is not much height to lift given the woodwork above it. I still feel it in my elbows and shoulders, lifting and dragging those heavy batteries out of there.

Any suggestions to make it easier to lift and replace the batteries in there?

Or should I just leave them in there over winter, perhaps connect some kind of trickle charger to keep them sufficiently charged during the long cold winter so they don't lose their charge and freeze?

Thanks.

(the batteries are relatively recent NAPA AGM style).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0379.jpg (195.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 04-18-2022, 04:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

do you use a lifting strap attached to the poles, or slung underneath the battery ?

very common when storing vehicle in CDN winter to remove battery and put it on the bench with a trickle charger when needed

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 06:52 PM   #3
Silver Member

Yes, I had one of those straps that grab on to the posts. But with the low "ceiling" clearance under there, it was a bit of a bear to lift the battery enough by the strap and swing them out of the hole, then haul them out. All those kind of things I used to do without any thought 20 years ago, now at 65 I feel it for a few weeks after.
Going in will be somewhat easier, but I'm trying to figure out a better way (easier on my body) to take them out again next Fall.
Thanks.
Old 04-18-2022, 07:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I live in a cold climate (Wisconsin) and just leave my AGM batteries in the van in an unheated garage plugged continually into a battery maintainer. Now after 4 winters, I can't detect any deterioration in my battery capacity. I am reluctant to change to lithium batteries because I couldn't do this with lithium and it is not very convenient to remove them every fall. The AGM batteries are also not that expensive. I wouldn't really mind if I got a little less battery life from them leaving them in the van all winter but I haven't seen any evidence of this so far.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:04 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Look for something like this: https://www.toolsource.com/battery-s...r-p-73759.html
dicktill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:07 AM   #6

If you remove 4-5 screws on the platform panel above the batteries, you can pop it out of the way and then it is much easier to pull the batteries out. I just went thru this and made a mod as well - I drilled out the rivets holding the battery box in, pulled it out and added some extra metal to it so it sits 1.5” lower. Now I have two 210ah 6v golf cart batteries in series, and this made a huge difference in capacity for us.
Betaguy001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 02:17 PM   #7
Silver Member

Thanks for all the suggestions, much appreciated.
Betaguy thanks for the tip on removing that platform panel, which indeed would make removal and reinstallation so much easier (on my shoulders arms and back!!). I'll have a look for those screws you refer to.
Good idea of yours to expand the battery box to accommodate higher capacity batteries. The two AGMs should suffice my initial needs. The box on mine (unlike the ones on 2 other campers I looked at before buying mine, which were rotten and had gaping holes) is very solid, as is the rest of the undercarriage (including the rather rust-prone front crossmember on the Dodges), which is the first thing I looked at when I went to look at the van. I've heard horror stories about people buying them without looking underneath and finding them severely rusted out because a previous owner had driven the van in the winter and salt. But I digress...
Regards.
Old 04-24-2022, 04:40 PM   #8
Platinum Member

My RoadTrek has a removable panel in the bedframe above the battery compartment.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2022, 05:50 PM   #9
Silver Member

Doh! Silly me, I just looked and see the 4 screws holding on the removable panel above the battery compartment, which indeed will make removal and insertion MUCH easier! Those Roadtrek designers DID think of everything (well, almost).
Thanks a lot.