Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2015, 04:18 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Coach Battery- suggestions?

At some point I'll need a new coach battery for the Pleasure Way Lexor.

Cost, service life, capacity- what should I be looking for ?

Thanks, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: Coach Battery- suggestions?

I'd look for the biggest battery that will fit in the compartment. I think we mostly see Group 24, 27 and 31 in Class B's but there are some odd sizes that might fit. Stick with deep cycle.

Do you have a wet cell or an AGM battery now? Typically you get more Ah (amp hours) capacity with wet cell but you have to check the water levels periodically.

Also, find out the specs on the converter / charger in the van.

There was a discussion here: http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=3496 recently where two high capacity batteries were noted:

Trojan J150 (wet cell) 84 lbs, 150ah, 1200 cycles at 50% DOD
Length 13.70
Width 7.13
Height 11.13

Trojan Reliant GC12 (AGM) (Golf Cart 12v) 97 lbs, 150ah, looks like 1000 cycles at 50% DOD
Length 12.96
Width 7.06
Height 10.96

Both are rated 150Ah which is approximately what two typical Group 24 batteries would total. The two batteries noted are larger and heavier than usual and might not fit in existing battery spaces though.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Thanks- I figured that footwork was already done for me.

I'm ok with wet cell, but prefer an agm ( I have alot of cars and bikes)- deep cycle use is new to me and I know there are considerations I am not yet aware of.

There won't be an inverter/ AC conversion load- everything is 12 VDC except for the microwave ( slash storage cabinet)- the new 21" samsung from costco runs on 12VDC.
Dandy unit

Much Appreciated, from a displaced Bluenoser. ( not so displaced when it's 26ºC )

Mike
Old 02-07-2015, 04:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A little off topic, but if you are using a tv that runs 12 volts off a cord "brick" from 110v outlets, you may want to consider getting a voltage stabilizer for it. The brick gives very stable voltage, but your 12v van system doesn't, and many of the televisions can't handle the 10.5-16.0 volts they may see in an RV, unless they are the trucker type dedicated 12v models.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

re: the TV, thanks.
the is a model which comes with a brick for 120VAC to 12 VDC

i have been monitoring the 12 VDC in the coach- aside from storing a charge, batteries also help to smooth out spikes in the line.

I use a Fluke md87/88 multimeter which has a record function, it samples voltage every 100 milliseconds- the highest reading I have is 14.7, the lowest is 12.3...that's is measuring over a few days of driving & parking with and without shore power.

A great advantage to this tv is the media player. I load up movies, tv shows and even audio books on a usb thumbdrive and we have a large library of media at hand if there is not over the air reception.
it was also easily adapted to the amp and speaker system in place- headphone jack

so it looks promising, the tv went in 4 months ago and I am happy as a clam.

the old tv was original, also a samsung which need a DTV decoder and 14 pounds of added wiring and switches to make it work 15 inches of glorious colour.

Thanks Much

mike
Old 02-14-2015, 02:51 AM   #6
Platinum Member

...And wife did her first solo to Ca for a week and didn;t have much runtime with the coach battery- suspicions seem to be correct.

I am bench charging and a will load test at autozone tomorrow.

The battery in place is a Kirkland and almost 5 years old ( so...)

PW specs a group 27, so off to Costco if the load test fails- about $80 for the Interstate 27 DC

aside from the battery and a lemon off a truck dinging the hood- her trip went just great!- a major concern picking the B was size and ease of driving and parking for her.
Also: Culver City doesn't allow vehicles over 21' parking on city streets- we are just under, so when parked outside her girlfriends home we were ok.

Thanks, Mike
Old 02-15-2015, 07:01 PM   #7
Platinum Member

or...amazon has the optima blue top at better than double the price..and looks like a I can fit a group 31

900/1125 and 75 AH

I have used a red top and it was great.

so considering this.

I didn't do well looking for the trojan brand referenced above.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:43 PM   #8
Platinum Member

If you don't mind checking the water level in the Interstate Group 27 it would have a higher amp hr rating. Probably 100ah compared to 75ah.
I'm assuming you're replacing a wet cell battery.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:04 PM   #9
Platinum Member

On a single battery, 75AH isn't much if you only want to go to 50% down, or even at 80%. I think the biggest capacity in a gp27 is the Trojan SCS200 at 115AH. It is a wet cell.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:21 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I just looked at the Interstate site, and it doesn't look like they have a true deep cycle in a 12 volt anymore. All listed as deep cycle starting batteries. Last I heard they are made by the same folks as Costco batteries (can change a lot though), and the 12 volt "deep cycle" that we got from Costco is really a dual purpose, or even closer to a starting battery. It doesn't use any water, so it has to be made with the calcium lead like all the minimal maintenance starting batteries. It is OK for how we use it, as the van starting battery, but wouldn't want it for a coach battery.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:08 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Wonder if it might be good to move to AGM. Less capacity, but safer and less stuff to have to worry about.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:05 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I went with the Costco Interstate- about $80.
( date coded the current month- so new and fresh. I put it on a 10 amp charge for about 6 hours before mounting it)

The return policy made the decision for me..if it doesn;t work as well as I hope then I can look at the more expensive alternatives.

I'm ok with checking electrolyte- I may carry a small bottle of distilled water until I get the hang of the coach battery's requirements.

Thanks, Mike