Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Default Re: Coach House Arriva V24 TB — Twin Beds — Sprinter

I agree with you.

But there is stealth, and there is stealth.

Parking in your own, or someone you're visiting's HOA controlled neighborhood, you probably are easily discovered and reported. It may not matter if you are visiting, as by the time they send a letter out, you are long gone. I think most who think they are going to park at the house are just kidding themselves.

Now if you are out and about on your adventures, then stealth is a whole other animal. I'd say it's more a matter of where you park, than how big you are - to a point. How tall you are is probably a bigger factor. If you are parking out of the way, and not in prime spots, you'll probably not be noticed. The key is to be low profile. I doubt a big, glossy, extended length Sprinter like the Arriva will go un-noticed.

In small towns, you will definitely be noticed, probably wherever you park, but the difference is, most people won't care. I've read many blogs where people parked in small towns and engaged the locals and were generally welcomed to stay awhile and even directed in good places to park.

Some common sense tips - don't take the best parking spaces. Park in commercial (business) zones on the weekends, tourist locations during the week (opposite of usage patterns). Park on the outskirts of big lots. Park in busy apt complex lots, away from the buildings. Avoid areas that have an animus for RV's in general.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 01:28 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Mike,

Advanced RV has no visible vents, covers, carriers, graphics or add-ons. With the continuous strip tented windows they look more like passenger vans. You cannot even detect they have exterior utility and storage compartments. Awnings are optional but we are getting one. The only tell tale is an air conditioner and even passenger vans are sporting them now.

Other converters are gravitating to that minimalist look. Winnebago with its ERA has made an 180 degree turn around to totally eliminating all their gaudy swoops and swirls and large logos of 2013 models to minimal graphics and no graphics as options. Most all B converters have toned down considerably and most all Sprinter converters have gone to the continuous strip passenger van window look. Look for Promaster converters to follow suit similar to that Paul Sherry video wincrasher linked. I suspect Winnebago will come around to that with the Travato but it would probably increase their costs to do so unless they make the look an option. It also helps that the Euro type high roof vans (Sprinter, Promaster, Transit) will not have the tell tale bulge out from the cab, fiber glass body or roof top add-ons. Class Bs have an aesthetic coolness factor the small Class Cs cannot match, IMO, when they look like emergency response vehicles and ice cream trucks. You are right in that a small Class C is not going to fool anyone.

I'm happy with the design trends. However, I don't have any HOA to contend with nor do any of my three kid's homes, sister and sister-in-law we generally visit and park overnight around the country.

In regard to "zoning" I was referring to interior planning of the B not HOA zoning restrictions. It is an extremely small space and in order to maximize you had to do some conversion of space such as sofa to bed, aisle showers, set up tables, etc. The one major change I am seeking is having two zones - a living stay up zone and a sleeping zone without conversion if desired yet still have a multi-function sleeping zone. Also, to me it is important that both cab seats be utilized when parked. Most Bs still do a miserable job with the driver's seat being nearly non-functional. The Coach House Arriva does a good job with the driver's seat and built in permanent setup table.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #43
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher
I agree with you.

But there is stealth, and there is stealth.

Parking in your own, or someone you're visiting's HOA controlled neighborhood, you probably are easily discovered and reported. It may not matter if you are visiting, as by the time they send a letter out, you are long gone. I think most who think they are going to park at the house are just kidding themselves.

Now if you are out and about on your adventures, then stealth is a whole other animal. I'd say it's more a matter of where you park, than how big you are - to a point. How tall you are is probably a bigger factor. If you are parking out of the way, and not in prime spots, you'll probably not be noticed. The key is to be low profile. I doubt a big, glossy, extended length Sprinter like the Arriva will go un-noticed.

In small towns, you will definitely be noticed, probably wherever you park, but the difference is, most people won't care. I've read many blogs where people parked in small towns and engaged the locals and were generally welcomed to stay awhile and even directed in good places to park.

Some common sense tips - don't take the best parking spaces. Park in commercial (business) zones on the weekends, tourist locations during the week (opposite of usage patterns). Park on the outskirts of big lots. Park in busy apt complex lots, away from the buildings. Avoid areas that have an animus for RV's in general.
Good points, particularly about trying to keep a low profile. My point was more along the lines that even hiding all the usual external trappings of a typical class A B or C motorhome doesn't change its DNA. If you're parked somewhere where you're not welcome, you'll be found out and asked to move, no matter how "stealthy" you look. Make good choices and you'll probably have better luck.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:04 PM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
Mike,

Advanced RV has no visible vents, covers, carriers, graphics or add-ons. With the continuous strip tented windows they look more like passenger vans. You cannot even detect they have exterior utility and storage compartments. Awnings are optional but we are getting one.
I think the awning is the more obvious motorhome indicator. So all the other stealth features (or lack thereof? ) are negated by that feature. I don't think I've seen many commercial or passenger vans sporting an awning.
Whether any other camper van manufacturers are reducing their external logos and hardware is something I haven't really noticed. Most of the class b van so we see out there are pretty easily identifiable by make and model. With the possible exception of Airstream Interstates which must have the best stealth (possibly a futuristic cloaking device?) package going, because they lead the industry in sales, but no one on our forum ever sees them out there.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:25 PM   #45
Platinum Member

The Airstream Interstate is an example of minimalist graphics as I mentioned but it is no where near as stealthy as an Advanced RV. It still has the visible vents, covers, compartments on the driver's side that Advanced RV has effectively eliminated. Incidentally, it seems most Advanced RV owners have been going without the awning. My wife was not ready to go that far even though we rarely use ours. You need to look around. They are all trending away from the "RV" look.

Here are your Winnebago ERA graphics:

http://m.winnebagotouring.com/products/ ... /exterior/

Airstream:

http://airstreaminterstaterv.com/?gclid ... godgngAhg#

The Roadtrek E-trek is pretty clean:

http://www.roadtrek.com/models.aspx?Mod ... ountry=USA

Advanced RV:

Old 07-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Now for a small Class Cs:

Pleasure-way Pursuit:

Check out the Leisure Travel Vans Serenity and Unity and others. They are just as bad in the definitely RV look.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #47
Platinum Member

If making a class b van look like a passenger van (with an awning) is what you desire, I guess you've found your niche. Personally, the functionality and comfort as a motorhome while in use is more important to me, than whether it can be easily identified as one. Different strokes, I guess....
Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM   #48
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
If making a class b van look like a passenger van (with an awning) is what you desire, I guess you've found your niche. Personally, the functionality and comfort as a motorhome while in use is more important to me, than whether it can be easily identified as one. Different strokes, I guess....
Have I dismissed functionality and comfort in my discussion and criteria? I admit, I am concentrating on Class Bs and this all started with a shower stall. Just pointing out if you desire more you ought not kid yourself that you will come close to a Class B in several of its criteria of which stealthiness is just one by a wide margin.

My criteria anyway is not stealthiness but more aesthetics and clean design. That's the architect in me. RVs to me, in general, are ugly.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #49
Platinum Member

In all honesty-to me a B is just a motel room with wheels.
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I'm not sure where the RV'S are ugly thing comes from. Not sure i need to know, either.
As for the wide margin in the stealth department, I simply disagree that B's are any more stealthy than any other size or shape. With very few exceptions and upon closer examination they're all easy to spot for one reason or another as stated earlier. Your awning will give you away, for example.
I see class A motorhomes out there that could easily pass as a passenger carrying tour coach, and have mistaken an occasional commercial contractor cargo van for a class C motorhome, so you might argue that stealth isn't necessarily limited by size.
For me, it's usually the duration of visibility and proximity to the subject that will briefly allow a motorhome to hide in plain view. A quick glance from a distance may not suffice to reveal it as a recreational vehicle. Get up close and personal and their purpose becomes apparent.
gerrym51 - yup. Putting it succinctly.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:51 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder? I'm not sure where the RV'S are ugly thing comes from. Not sure i need to know, either.
As for the wide margin in the stealth department, I simply disagree that B's are any more stealthy than any other size or shape. With very few exceptions and upon closer examination they're all easy to spot for one reason or another as stated earlier. Your awning will give you away, for example.
I see class A motorhomes out there that could easily pass as a passenger carrying tour coach, and have mistaken an occasional commercial contractor cargo van for a class C motorhome, so you might argue that stealth isn't necessarily limited by size.
For me, it's usually the duration of visibility and proximity to the subject that will briefly allow a motorhome to hide in plain view. A quick glance from a distance may not suffice to reveal it as a recreational vehicle. Get up close and personal and their purpose becomes apparent.
gerrym51 - yup. Putting it succinctly.
one of the reasons i am working on a roadtrek ranger is for stealth-but not necessarily in traveling-the condo association i live at might be an issue-although we plan on renting a storage space anyway- so we can leave our car in it and not have to deal with home issues that sometimes require car moving-snow /some inclement weather/mass sweepings/some forestry issues-one of the advantages of living in condo-for us-is everything is done for you. but vehicles if left with no one to move them can be an issue. anyways the ranger will look as much as a white cargo van as humanly possible-the air conditioner on the ranger is molded into back.

the other is the ranger is the most customizable of mass produced B's. wife wants no propane-wife will get what she wants-this is strictly a movable motel room-especially for our cat that needs insulin shots twice a day
Old 07-16-2014, 06:46 PM   #52
Platinum Member

The point of a B van is to be able to park it anywhere. It will fit in a regular parking space. That affords you a lot of convenience, but comes at a sacrifice of interior space. Don't like the trade off, or need it? Then don't buy a B. Buy a B+ or a C.

I looked seriously at the Prestige/Pursuit. The big bathroom was nice, but how are you supposed to enjoy a big shower with tiny fresh and grey water tanks? Unless, of course, you are going to be dependent on going to those depressing commercial campgrounds. Hate those places and go mostly off grid or State Parks that have no hookups.

You may argue about how stealthy a B is. But it's certainly LESS noticeable than a big plastic RV with a garish paint job with all the swoops and swirls. And the choice in parking is way less. It may be short in length, but the width keeps you out of standard parking spaces, which on occasion, is a problem.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Water and holding tanks can also be dumped and refilled at most truck stops, some rest areas, and some public campgrounds for free or for a nominal fee. So the small tanks argument isn't a show stopper for mr. If it is a problem, then it's just as restrictive with a typical B sized bathroom, so I would choose larger given the choice. It's apparently not for everyone, though.
I think many people would say fuel economy is the point of a B as well.
Just saying.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:54 PM   #54
Platinum Member

So has anyone found out the price for the Arriva yet? Someone posted about 130K but not sure if that is enough. Nice layout though.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 09:20 PM   #55
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK49er
So has anyone found out the price for the Arriva yet? Someone posted about 130K but not sure if that is enough. Nice layout though.

i would be shocked if only 130,00 from Coach House- base model at most-spare tire,generator,2nd battery all optional-my guess with those 160,000
Old 07-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #56

I appreciate the discussion related to my inquiry. For a handful of reasons, a B class van is my target. Unfortunately, the items I would like to incorporate into the van really points me to a B+. That said, these would be on my wish list (understanding that I will probably have to make compromises somewhere). Dry bath as my wife at this point wants a separate shower stall, Sprinter platform, solar power option. Would like to have the bed in the back and available without a slide out, large sliding door with full screen. I like the idea of a third chair up front but that usually means impeding a lot of the door opening. I should note that I really like the LTV Free Spirit SS. The bathroom is great, the cabinetry looks beautiful, the roof kit looks real nice, solar capability. etc. The only thing that I am not crazy about is that the slider needs to be out to utilize the bed which basically means no stealth, if stealth is ever really possible anyway. I haven't gotten far enough to understand tank capacity trade offs associated with any of the items I would like to have. Truth be told, I don't fully understand the capacities I would need for tanks or power(therefore do I need a generator or not with the solar being onboard). I certainly understand a lot of these are dependent upon how I will use the van. I would like to have it available for uses while at home like trips to the park, tailgating, etc. I am several years away from retirement and therefore trips will be on the shorter side - say 2 or 3 days at a time with an occasional week long trip sprinkled in. Some stays at campgrounds, national parks, as well as some boondocking. I know a bit of rambling on but very much appreciate any thoughts or suggestions anyone may have given my current thought processes.
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 11:50 PM   #57
Platinum Member

Slim,

With your criteria of full dry bath and no slides the only B that remotely comes close is the Coach House Arriva. But I don't see how you can get effective solar without going to a third party or DIY. All they say is solar charger. I don't know if that means they wire for solar or if they provide solar. It is not clear. They have an option for a second battery and include a 1000W inverter. That is not going to get you full electrical freedom so you will need the genset considering their frig, heater, hot water and stove top utilizes propane. Also considering you want a sliding door with screen that eliminates small Cs. They don't have large sliding doors. Then you would have to again seek a third party solution for a screen on a sliding door. Every day use? A van obviously. As for hauling extra people you could utilize the side sitting sofas for short trips. I've known people who have bought small Cs and the spouse had refused to drive them. My wife's initial reaction when we looked at the small Cs was we would have to tow a car. If you want a full dry bath in a B then you are going to have to make a lot of sacrifices and compromises, and severely limit your choices to maybe no B at all.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:01 AM   #58
Platinum Member

Slim,

I'd be very hesitant to drop $150k-$180k on a first van. If you are only going to weekend for a few years, just buy a cheaper van, or a used van and live with it a bit to see what you want in your "dream van". There are some things you can do with an existing van - like add a battery or add a solar panel if your use requires it.

The bathroom seems like a deal-breaker for most folks. Either you can live with a side/wet bath or you can't. You can make it a bit better if you can find one with a flip-up sink, or without a sink. It would be a shame to buy a van where 1/3 of the space is devoted to a dry bathroom, and you find you don't really need one that "luxurious".

Used ones sell pretty well, so if you loose some money on a re-sale in a couple years, it's still money well spend on "education"
Old 07-17-2014, 12:05 AM   #59
Platinum Member

Slim-i think a Sportsmobile would be your best bet if your set on a sprinter van
Old 07-17-2014, 12:19 AM   #60
Platinum Member

Somebody will have to educate me on Sportsmobile. There are a lot of options and you can put plans together any way you wish but I see nowhere on their site where you can install a separate shower stall in a Sprinter. All their options are wet bath options. How custom can you go? Or is it just a kit of parts they offer that you put together yourself?