Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2022, 05:12 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Coachmen Beyond Li3 and Winnebago volta

Hi:

Does anyone know how much gasoline is consumed to charge the lithium batteries on high idle? It seems maybe running the engine on high idle(1500rpm?) may be inefficient? Just have a lithium battery bank and recharge with Onan 2800i is good alternative?

How about the Winnebago Volta system? Same question regarding gas consumption? I have been to a campground which specify no generators. I wonder if they allow chassis to run high idle for 1-2 hours?
Old 11-11-2022, 05:16 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Can't answer the broad question. I can say that when I was in Organ Pipe Monument campground in AZ the host came by when I was idling and said that you couldn't idle more than 5 minutes in the CG. I'm sure that it varies, though. They also had areas designated as generator/non-generator.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 06:20 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GallenH View Post
Can't answer the broad question. I can say that when I was in Organ Pipe Monument campground in AZ the host came by when I was idling and said that you couldn't idle more than 5 minutes in the CG. I'm sure that it varies, though. They also had areas designated as generator/non-generator.
I have only encountered this one time. It was in the Sequoia National park. Large sign stated no generator campground. I just drove by reading the sign. Did not plan on camping but only time I have encountered this?
Old 11-11-2022, 09:28 PM   #4
Platinum Member

It's common for campgrounds in US National Parks to have loops that prohibit any generator use, and in loops that allow generators, they often limit usage to three 2-hour windows (morning, noon and evening). They also usually prohibit idling engines in non-generator loops and outside of allowed generator times, and some limit idling even more strictly than that.

If you're going to have a generator built into your camper van, the newer 2800i is definitely the one to have. It's so much quieter. Your neighbors will really appreciate it, and so will you.

That said, if we were spec'ing out a new camper van at this point, we'd go with one that has as much lithium battery bank as possible and then skip the generator altogether. With camper vans, driving the RV around is a lot more common than with larger RVs that often stay in one place for days at a time, so there's usually plenty of opportunity to charge the batteries while driving from one place to another.
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 11:16 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
It's common for campgrounds in US National Parks to have loops that prohibit any generator use, and in loops that allow generators, they often limit usage to three 2-hour windows (morning, noon and evening). They also usually prohibit idling engines in non-generator loops and outside of allowed generator times, and some limit idling even more strictly than that.

If you're going to have a generator built into your camper van, the newer 2800i is definitely the one to have. It's so much quieter. Your neighbors will really appreciate it, and so will you.

That said, if we were spec'ing out a new camper van at this point, we'd go with one that has as much lithium battery bank as possible and then skip the generator altogether. With camper vans, driving the RV around is a lot more common than with larger RVs that often stay in one place for days at a time, so there's usually plenty of opportunity to charge the batteries while driving from one place to another.
I have the new 2800i and really like it. Purchased in 2021. Really quiet. My van is 6 yrs old. I really like the new Ford chassis so may sell the Lexor. Want all of the new safety features of the Ford. Don't get me wrong. My Ram Promaster runs fine. Many upgrades with lithium, Truma, Victron inverter and Houghton AC. Sumo springs and rear extra leaf package. Drives really nicely with new Michelins. It just does not have BSM, larger rear monitor, etc. Chassis safety features are what I would like to improve. If I had option to move my upgrades onto a Ford Transit chassis, I would do that. Unfortunately cannot do this so am looking at the another van?
Old 11-11-2022, 11:59 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I have had high-idle and a second alternator and 576ah currently and 800ah lithium batteries in the past. Volta systems are even more but expressed in watts since it is a 48v system. The Sprinter high-idle is 1200 rpms. The second alternator input is around 220 amps per hour charging your batteries. So if you have a 400ah battery bank you could fully charge it in under 2 hours. In a Sprinter they warrant you to a 2 hour limit and then you have to drive at least 30 to 40 minutes. So, in practical terms you can charge maybe in under 2 hours but if you have been driving before camping usually your batteries are fully charged when you stop for the night.

If you stay more than a day then you would have to drive anyway after 2 hours so why not charge that way-driving. It's more efficient. My driving at 55 mph charges my batteries at a rate of 270-280ah. I can drive 1/2 to 3/4 hours to fully recharge a day's use of electricity.

I have the ability to high idle charge but never use it. It is just there for an emergency situation which I haven't encountered in over 120,000 miles on the road in 8 years.

Most all campgrounds have quiet hours from 10 pm to 8 pm so you aren't going to run overnight. Even boondocking in the wild if around other campers will get them pissed off at you.

With 576ah of lithium batteries I can boondock 3 days without driving or idling. 3 days is my limit to sit still and then I am anxious to move on. If I camp where I need air conditioning 24/7 and especially at night, then I have failed planning and enjoying myself. If in that situation, seek shore power.

One more thing. In a Sprinter you can only dedicate 40 amps per hour charging your house batteries with your engine alternator if you don't have the second alternator. I have no idea about the Chevy, Promaters and Transits.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:20 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Personally, I would never want to set up our system so that it required any other than emergency idling to recharge a bit, even though our two parallel alternators would probably do 120+ah per hour at the Chevy 545 rpm idle speed. The Chevy gas engine is very quiet at that speed.

We are only moderate power users so could go over 5 days in most conditions on just our 440ah of AGM batteries, but if we get any decent sun we can go indefinitely with 300 watts of solar.

When we were in Smoky Mountain National park in a park campground, they had generator and no generator campgrounds so we picked no generator and were fine as expected. We walked over to the generator campground and it was a horribly noisy place with generators running all over and big diesel pickups on high idle all over. Nothing like a Ram diesel pickup at high idle to break up a calm camping experience. It sounded like a freight train.

I think campgrounds are headed in two directions, both of which will get rind of generator noise and pollution. One is to put in electricity to all/most of the sites and the second is just say no generators or idling. Those two options will work for anyone with a big battery bank or not, depending on the campground.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:27 AM   #8
Site Team

Just as another data point:
Transit owners report that with the OEM dual-alternator option, one can easily draw 150A at normal (NOT high) idle. This is with a gasoline engine, so many fewer restrictions with long idle times.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 10:33 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Thanks for all of the input!