Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Coachmen Ford Transit Crossfit

A new Ford Transit B...

Coachmen RV Debuts CROSSFiT Class B Coach | RV Business
Old 11-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Can't wait to see more details - it might be great.

partial quote from the article:

Quote:
General Manager Mark Steele noted, “The Class B team can’t wait to see the dealer response at Louisville. We were able to hit an extremely aggressive price while utilizing top quality materials. The CROSSFiT is priced significantly under the competition and it still offers unique features like multi-plex wiring (w/phone app), mood lighting, higher solar capacity and an interior with real pop, all while maintaining unparalleled fit and finish.”
Steele added, “Everyone that has seen the finished CROSSFiT has had the same reaction – they love it. The CROSSFiT hit the trifecta with the right price, right looks and right amenities. We just found that grand slam home run that we were looking for.”
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Licensing the CrossFit name is bound to be expensive. If they skipped that step, I'm not sure changing the brand's capitalization is going to fly in court.

What's the point of issue a press release without photos? Especially when you're targeting a younger audience.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Wonder what the layout will be? But when I read "mood lighting..........and an interior with real pop", I get a bit nervous.
Old 11-23-2016, 09:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Licensing a trade name (or battling it out in court) is clearly an unnecessary expense. It especially seems like an odd choice when they wanted to be "able to hit an extremely aggressive price." A little imagination could save them thousands of dollars.

Not including photos probably is supposed to get people who are already in the RV market, who visit RV parks, visit RV websites and read RV publications interested enough to contact their Coachmen RV dealer. Of course, the press release didn't include information on how to find your local Coachmen dealer--people are supposed to already know that. In other words, they're preaching to the choir like too much of the industry does. I bet they also wonder why the RV market is stagnant.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
Licensing a trade name (or battling it out in court) is clearly an unnecessary expense. It especially seems like an odd choice when they wanted to be "able to hit an extremely aggressive price." A little imagination could save them thousands of dollars.

Not including photos probably is supposed to get people who are already in the RV market, who visit RV parks, visit RV websites and read RV publications interested enough to contact their Coachmen RV dealer. Of course, the press release didn't include information on how to find your local Coachmen dealer--people are supposed to already know that. In other words, they're preaching to the choir like too much of the industry does. I bet they also wonder why the RV market is stagnant.
My thoughts exactly.

If an existing or new RV manufacturer was serious about cutting costs and reaching new markets, I would think cutting RV dealers and selling through Ford dealers would be a no brainer. Rent space in the SubTropolis underground complex alongside the other Transit upfitters.

Then sell a small selection of well designed, manufactured, and robust camper layouts that will require minimal maintenance/repairs.

You cut out the slimy RV dealer negotiation/repair experience. Bs are then largely built to order like many successful RV manufacturers (Casita/Scamp, Sportsmobile, Nexus/Phoenix Cruiser, etc). Ford dealers are everywhere, so buyers wouldn’t have to travel great distances like with traditional factory direct dealers.

Marketing would probably be the biggest challenge. I suspect new owners and a well executed online presence (for people at home and Ford salesmen trying to make a sale) could be very effective.
B Eventually is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 10:59 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
My thoughts exactly.

If an existing or new RV manufacturer was serious about cutting costs and reaching new markets, I would think cutting RV dealers and selling through Ford dealers would be a no brainer. ......
.......... Ford dealers are everywhere, so buyers wouldn’t have to travel great distances like with traditional factory direct dealers.
A bit like buying a VW California or Ocean camper in Europe - you buy from the local VW dealer, not an RV dealer. Why can't Ford (or FCA) build some simple, basic campers and sell them? I know - probably not enough volume, but nice to dream.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:04 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Tesla has had to fight car dealers' organizations all over the country because they sell directly to consumers through their own stores, rather than through third party dealers. I would imagine that any action to eliminate or go around RV dealers would end up with similar opposition. See: https://electrek.co/2016/07/25/tesla...lerships-utah/

A simpler solution would be for RV dealers to become honest and knowledgeable if they're not already. Manufacturers should crack down on those who are ignorant and unethical. I know that I'm being naive, but better dealers would make finding out about RVs and buying an RV a much more pleasant experience than it is now. That would encourage new people to become involved in the RV lifestyle. Like I keep saying, the industry generally doesn't seem to want to prioritize expanding its market. It's just easier to keep building the same products, with the same poor quality and swoopy-doopy paint schemes, through the same kind of dealers that they've always had. I can imagine them all thinking, "Why change? It worked really well in 1965. The world is exactly the same now, isn't it?"
Old 11-24-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
I would imagine that any action to eliminate or go around RV dealers would end up with similar opposition. [/url]
Actually, IIRCC, the VWs are outfitted by Westfalia, who is an RV maker. That probably solves that problem. While they do have 2 models based on the T6, they are quite different than VW's.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:44 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Was the Roadtrek N6 Active sold directly at Nissan dealers or only through Roadtrek dealers?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:18 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Tesla has had to fight car dealers' organizations all over the country because they sell directly to consumers through their own stores, rather than through third party dealers. I would imagine that any action to eliminate or go around RV dealers would end up with similar opposition. See: https://electrek.co/2016/07/25/tesla...lerships-utah/
Several of the small upfitters have probed the edges of the direct-sales minefield. Advanced RV sells direct. As a consequence, they are not allowed into the Hershey Show (and probably others). Beyond that, I suspect they are too small for there to be consequences. Now, if they ever grew out of niche status, it might be another matter.

GWV was also experimenting with direct sales just before they folded. (I don't think these events were related)
Quote:
A simpler solution would be for RV dealers to become honest and knowledgeable
An even simpler solution might be to teach pigs to fly.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 02:24 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transit View Post
Licensing the CrossFit name is bound to be expensive.
License from whom? The exercise people? If so, I doubt that there is an issue here. Trademarks are industry-specific. The bottom-line test is whether sharing a mark is likely to create "confusion in the marketplace". An exercise regimen and an RV are hard to confuse. It is true that this fact may not necessarily stop the exercise people from suing in order to try to convince a jury. But I doubt they would bother, and I doubt they would win if they did.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The CrossFit people could argue that a shoddy brand like Coachmen using their brand could damage it if people thought there was an association.

This is just another example of the lack of professionalism in the RV Industry. Most companies will hire a consultant to come up with names that they then test with focus groups. They'll have elaborate meanings behind brand names. Likely, the Coachmen folks spit-balled a few names around a conference room table and that was the end of it.

"unparalleled fit and finish" is a good one though. It could mean fantastic, better than all, or it could mean absolutely terrible and shoddy, unequaled by anyone else. I'm assuming the latter, since they are trying to hit a low price point.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 12:47 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Many people were surprised with the quality of the cabinetry and with the fit/finish of the Galeria since it is coming from a company with a not great reputation like Coachman. I suppose that could take a step backward with this model but it may turn out to be a surprise just like the Galleria was. Lower cost materials do not always mean cheap looking or less durable, I guess time will tell what this model has to offer.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:56 PM   #15
Platinum Member

It doesn't matter who has a good case. Using the name "CrossFit" means involving lawyers, and that always involves a lot of money, no matter who's right or wrong. I guess they figured that they'd save money by not hiring consultants. They'll just have to spend it on attorneys instead. Not a smart move.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:04 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
It doesn't matter who has a good case. Using the name "CrossFit" means involving lawyers, and that always involves a lot of money, no matter who's right or wrong. I guess they figured that they'd save money by not hiring consultants. They'll just have to spend it on attorneys instead. Not a smart move.
Yes it does matter who has a good case, because a hopeless case very likely will not be brought. Plaintiffs have lawyer fees, too, and frivolous cases are not cost effective. If nobody sues anybody, there are no lawyer's fees beyond the routine.
Old 11-25-2016, 08:42 PM   #17
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Yes it does matter who has a good case, because a hopeless case very likely will not be brought. Plaintiffs have lawyer fees, too, and frivolous cases are not cost effective. If nobody sues anybody, there are no lawyer's fees beyond the routine.
The key word is "if." It's a risk that I wouldn't take.
Old 11-26-2016, 04:48 PM   #18
Platinum Member

So the van exists if they mention "everyone that has seen it loved it"? Then why aren't there any pictures? Seems like a silly release to me if they don't show the product. So on one hand we have WGO with a nice Adventure concept that people like and may not build and now Coachman with a mythical van that they will build with no pictures or details... what a strange strange industry.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 05:27 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
So the van exists if they mention "everyone that has seen it loved it"? Then why aren't there any pictures? Seems like a silly release to me if they don't show the product. So on one hand we have WGO with a nice Adventure concept that people like and may not build and now Coachman with a mythical van that they will build with no pictures or details... what a strange strange industry.
I believe the reason there aren't any pics out to the masses at this moment is that they are holding back for a "WOW!" response at the Louisville RV Trade show coming up. After that I am sure there will be plenty of pics circulating on the interwebs!
TravelinDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:25 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Just for arguments sake, I recently looked over a brand new Galleria on the inside. I was impressed by the fit and finish of the cabinetry. Now if what's going on behind that cabinetry is good or bad, I couldn't tell. It had just recently been purchased by an RV veteran couple that were downsizing from a class A, and their opinion was that this interior assembly and materials was as good as any they had seen, (Most of the big volume brands), and they had no issues with the coach up to that point. They hadn't seen an Advanced RV, I specifically asked.
I also have recently gone through 2 less than 6 month old Leisure Travel RV's. A Serenity and a Libero, both 2016's. The materials in both are excellent, but the fit and finish in the Serenity was some of the worst I have ever seen in any RV, (ever look at a Fleetwood 5th wheel back when they made them? Good example). The Libero was just the opposite. Everything fit as it should, finishes were excellent, tight, no rattles and no issues in the first 10k miles.
Anyway, it seems to be a crapshoot in pretty much any RV brand these days. If the Crossfit is anything like the Galleria I saw, I'd be impressed. Curious to see if they follow WGO's lead and go with the EcoBoost V6 rather than diesel....

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote