Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2020, 02:39 AM   #1
Silver Member

Default Cold Weather Travel Concern

My wife and I will be driving from Phoenix back to San Antonio this Sunday and Monday. We had planned to overnight in Las Cruces but note overnight low temps Sunday night of 25 degrees. We’re concerned that our Winnebago ERA might suffer pipe freezing damage. And while I could blow out water lines before leaving Phoenix, that would presumably remove our heat source as the unit has a Truva (spelling) water heater/heating system that requires water to generate heat. Could get very uncomfortably cold overnight in the RV. Alternatively we could drive further into Texas Sunday where temps will be above freezing. Might I get some recommendations from you more experienced RV’ers?
theHueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:36 AM   #2
Platinum Member

If it is only going to be around 25 for a few short hours at night and then warm up into the 50's or more during the day, I wouldn't worry about it. You will have the heat running over night... open the cabinet doors to warm any plumbing if you are worried.

New Mexico is pretty closed up, but I know that the KOA in Las Cruces is open and it is a nice one with a great view.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 10:21 AM   #3
Platinum Member

The Truma Combi in my Era heats just fine without water in it. We use it annually in sub-20 degree weather to keep us nice and warm until we get south. The Truma Combi only needs water to generate hot water, not to run the furnace. I would drain your pipes and fresh water tank and carry bottled water and pink antifreeze to use for flushing the toilet. Works for us for a day or two. We do stay in campgrounds at low temps so we can plug in, put the furnace burner on electric high (two lightening bolts on the display), snd not burn propane.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:30 PM   #4
MN1

The Truma will heat the coach fine without water. It uses very little propane to heat the coach.
MN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #5

Can you help. Someone used my RV in the cold and run water into the sink thus triggering the safety valve so water will drain straight to the ground instead of holding tank so pipes will not break. Can you please tell me how it looks it was at the bottom of the seat close to the bathroom. Had the same problem years ago and flipping it resolved it
gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracey View Post
Can you help. Someone used my RV in the cold and run water into the sink thus triggering the safety valve so water will drain straight to the ground instead of holding tank so pipes will not break. Can you please tell me how it looks it was at the bottom of the seat close to the bathroom. Had the same problem years ago and flipping it resolved it
Gracey - you should have started a new thread instead of coming into the end of someone else's thread.
I can not think of any safety valve that would cause your problem. Sounds more like they left the gray tank discharge valve open or may have gone over a high curb and broke some thing.
One word of advise is to never let anyone borrow your RV.
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote