Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-12-2020, 10:44 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Coleman A/C Airflow

We have a Coleman roof mounted air conditioner. As it is directly above the rear bed of our Winnebago ERA 70X, we find the airflow is quite loud and blasts us when sleeping. When we rotate the air diverting wheel to close off the rear airflow to send 100% of the blast forward, the airflow is so strong it reopens the rear airflow. Is there a way to firm up the wheel so it remains closed? An alternate solution?
theHueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I installed a new Coleman Mach 8 Plus and new inside grill in 2018. Not too long after the install, I had the same problem with the rear vent. Both front and rear have a spacer to add a bit of friction to keep the vent closed, but the rear broke and I noticed a few small plastic bits on my rear lounge.

As a fix, I found a fairly thin plastic washer, cut a small piece out of the circle, and jammed it between the end of the vent and the housing. Works to add friction and keep the vent where you place it, but will loosen and fall out every six months or so if I don't push it back in place. So a solution, just not a totally satisfactory one.

We also slightly open the rear overhead storage door and that helps deflect air from the rear vent so it doesn't dump straight down in our faces at night.

EDIT: I don't know how new your ac unit is, but our '2018 Coleman is noticeably quieter than the '2012 model it replaced (at least on middle fan speed). This is due to the fact is has an actual middle speed, whereas the older Coleman had only "high & higher".
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2020, 11:51 PM   #3
Silver Member

Thank you. I’ll give it a try.
theHueg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:27 PM   #4
Gold Member

How's your budget? The new Coleman Mach 10 NDQ (if you can find one) is supposed to be much quieter. Winnebago is using them on all class B's AFAIK.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I'm ready to ditch my noisy A/C, which I rarely use 'cuz it's way too loud. I'd like to install a high efficiency mini-split if I can find a walk space to mount it.

Why doesn't someone make a 33 or 42 SEER* A/C for RVs? We need efficiency more than someone on the grid. I want to run it off my 5 kWh lithium battery pack.

*Fujitsu and Carrier are the highest efficiency mini-split units I know of, but I'm also suspicious of these numbers. Might be some marketing hype.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:38 PM   #6
Bronze Member

I placed a clothes pin on a vertical fin to keep the shutter closed when I had trouble keeping it closed.. After a repair of the seals,however, it stayed closed with the slide switch.
604eholston@charter.net is offline   Reply With Quote