Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2013, 01:11 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Common everyday objects you like

I was thinking today about how much I like pencils. I find I prefer use a pencil for note taking more than I do a pen anymore. It's something most people take for granted but they are far superior to ink pens in many ways. They can work wet or dry, they don't "dry out", they work in any position you hold it, they can be refreshed for use again with a pencil sharpener or a small pocket knife and they are erasable for mistakes or mind changes.

Despite the limited space in my Class B, I am going to be taking my big old pencil sharpener like you find (or found) in schools. The one I have is an "Apsco Giant" and looks to be 50's or early 60's.. and still sharpens pencils perfectly! It is a wall-mount type with holes for screws, not the portable kind with a suction base unfortunately, so I need to figure out a place to mount it in my van.

What is a common everyday object you like? (Besides your computer, cell phone, vehicles.. etc)
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #2
Rok
Platinum Member

Default Re: Your favorite common everyday objects

I predict this will be a goofy thread.

I "get into" lots of every day objects. I really like some forks and spoons over other ones. (We have a conglomeration in our tableware drawer.) Unfortunately, my wife seems to like the same ones I do, so we go through the heavy pointed ones first before using the average thin spindely bendy ones. I don't know what I will take with us when we get our motor home. I would like to have nice ones with us, but things on a trip tend to get lost and some of them are now "friends" and I'd hate to lose them.

Recently, I purchased an Oxo Paring knife from a thrift store. It was sharp and the handle was grippy and soft. I liked the feel of it, so I bought it despite the fact that we have too many knives already. Yep, you guessed it, I went to get it one day and couldn't find it. I looked over and there was my wife using it--it had become her favorite, too. This last Christmas she found some online and ordered them for me as a present, and while they were nice, they weren't quite as good (the handles were thinner).

We also have a cupboard filled with a menagerie of cups, glasses, and mugs of various sorts. We like some for some things, and others for other things. I have an extra large Coke glass (32 oz or so) that I use for root beer floats, and only root beer floats, for example. I think I might have a little OCD, but there are things that just feel and work better than others and I king of respect and prefer those that do.

...........Rocky
Rok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Bronze Member

It's meant to be a fun/goofy thread! It's about something people take for granted everyday but that you find to be invaluably useful in everyday life. And the smaller and more simple it is, the better!

Sure... computers and cars are nice and useful but.. it's the simple things in life that usually the greatest joy comes from.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #4
Rok
Platinum Member

Isn't a computer a common every day item. My favorite computer is my HP with a 30" (!) monitor. There was one left at Costco rolling around on a cart and they were discounting it $100 every day. I was in the market for a 'puter, and eventually when it came down to close to the price that the "dinky monitor" systems were selling for, I said what the hell and bought it. The monitor is supposed to be something special for drafting and drawing or some such and was pretty well regarded in its day (which was about 4 years ago IIRC). It works really well for Netflix streaming stuff. I don't know if I will be able to transfer the monitor to a new system, however, since it required special driver hardware. (At least that is what I've been told.)

I also like our 2006 Prius., but I won't get into that right now.

...........Rocky
Old 02-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #5
Bronze Member

I suppose so but i was thinking things that don't cost very much... like my example of pencils.

Pretty sure almost everyone here could say "my computer/cell phone/car/truck/RV" but that's all obvious stuff.

I changed the topic to exclude the word "favorite" since that may be what threw you off. It doesn't have to be a "favorite" item. Just something you like well and isn't an obvious like electronic technology or a vehicle. Also mentioned in the original topic not to include those things.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Default Re: Common everyday objects you like

Epoxy

It's not an object but it is very useful.
It is waterproof.
It comes in liquid, paste or putty formulations.
Use as a glue, a filler or to waterproof something.

You can fix so many things with it.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Platinum Member

I really have two, WD-40 and Duck Tape; loosens most things, and Duck Tape to cover my mistakes!! Safe travels.
Old 02-16-2013, 01:55 AM   #8
Gold Member

Zip lock bags......
Old 02-16-2013, 12:39 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubey
I was thinking today about how much I like pencils. I find I prefer use a pencil for note taking more than I do a pen anymore. It's something most people take for granted but they are far superior to ink pens in many ways. They can work wet or dry, they don't "dry out", they work in any position you hold it, they can be refreshed for use again with a pencil sharpener or a small pocket knife and they are erasable for mistakes or mind changes.

Despite the limited space in my Class B, I am going to be taking my big old pencil sharpener like you find (or found) in schools. The one I have is an "Apsco Giant" and looks to be 50's or early 60's.. and still sharpens pencils perfectly! It is a wall-mount type with holes for screws, not the portable kind with a suction base unfortunately, so I need to figure out a place to mount it in my van.

What is a common everyday object you like? (Besides your computer, cell phone, vehicles.. etc)
Ditto, the pencils. I've always "thought" better in pencil.
Something I use a lot, is the voice notes feature of my cell phone. Like pencils, it's a simple one button recording feature that lets me make notes of things I want to investigate further, when not busy, or driving, or near my home/laptops. It's a "memory enhancement" tool, and I guess it's like a modern pencil and notebook for me. It came with the phone, and I probably use it more than either the "call" or "text" features. I guess cell phones can be either pricey or inexpensive, so it may not qualify, but most seem to have this feature on them somewhere.
Pocket sized multi-tools, and small battery operated LED flashlights are a close second. I usually have a small 6-10 tool model with me wherever I go, and have extras in our vehicles. I also keep multiple flashlights nearby in all our vehicles and house. I picked up an 8 pack of small LED flashlights, batteries included, at Tractor Supply in Michigan the other day, for $10+tax. Deal!!
Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
Rok
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennajean
Zip lock bags......
We usually get our ziplocks at Costco. We get both the 1-Gallon Freezer Bags and the Quart Freezer Bags.

We found out a couple of months ago that Ziplocks come in EXTRA BIG sizes, too. XL, XXL, and XXXL. We found them at Lowes, and they are really useful. Really REALLY useful.

We plan to have a supply of all of them onboard when we get our rig--probably one box of each of the Costco ones and a few of the larger ones.

.........Rocky