Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2016, 02:55 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Last I heard Advanced RV only builds on a MB van. If you want a gas engine (because like me you expect to idle a lot) then you must look elsewhere.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #22
Platinum Member

...and changes in ownership of roadtrek will certainly impact the product line- so you'd do best to start from scratch and compare current offerings

the hardest part is determining which features are important to you and which are not

my prime consideration was the size of the bed and a fore/aft lay out to prevent to middle of the night climb over to use the head.

i also preferred a chev over ford or mb

others have other prime considerations.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #23
BBQ
Platinum Member

Re: ...and changes in ownership of roadtrek will certainly impact the product line-

I agree. If we look at the youtube video of the RV factory tours -- Hymer, Roadtrek, and Pleasure-Way, etc., we can see Hymer has a more efficient production process. It looks almost like a Ford factory. So I agree, Hymer will certainly modify the RT products to make it more cost competitive.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 12:44 PM   #24
Platinum Member

If this is your first B, then buying an Advanced may be a waste of money. You might end up paying a ton of money for a floorplan and appliances that you don't like one year later. You need to get some experience with what works for you before you buy your "last" RV.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 02:20 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Idling a Mercedes Benz diesel is not an issue despite all the discussion and speculation. People who don't own an Advanced RV with its battery and charging capabilities have little understanding, and there is no gas engine Class B on the market that can come close to matching. To wit, you would rarely idle or need to and with the high idle option it is not a problem that will show as supposed.

My experience with my Advanced RV is chronicled here.

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...lvar-2905.html

I have owned three Class Bs. True, Advanced RV only builds on the Mercedes Benz but they are the only converter that can meet your desires and dreams in any kind of custom manner. Frustration in what was available in the market after having two excellent but compromising Class Bs is what drove me to Advanced RV. They are the only company that strives to serve the customer first and not the dealer network or try to be competitive in the dealer market. Sportsmobile is somewhat like that too, but not to the same extent in total quality.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:08 PM   #26
Platinum Member

To compare a custom RV's to market RV's is not a comparison. The amount of bling and dollhouse features is not what all consumers desire unless they want bragging rights and are impressed by visual features. Functional layout, openness, durability, and performance are high on my list but those things don't sell to the general public. "Pretty" sells to the general public. Experienced RVer's get over that once they develop knowledge through use but they are far and few in the market. I sold RV's for a few years and it seemed the most important features, which were in construction method or hidden were overshadowed by the fancy and the bling.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 03:18 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Davydd, I like gas because I idle to heat the van, I idle to cool the van, I idle to heat water, I idle to charge the batteries, I idle to do all of these things at the same time.

The trend is to use extra engine generators, large capacity batteries, big inverters, but I like to keep it as simple as possible. And there are other diesel issues like smell, noise, finding service, cost of service, etc. I know some like diesels anyway but I don't so when I looked at Advanced RV I did like the company and what they did but couldn't convince them to build on something like a Promaster. So I went to Sportsmobile.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:09 PM   #28
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
If this is your first B, then buying an Advanced may be a waste of money. You might end up paying a ton of money for a floorplan and appliances that you don't like one year later. You need to get some experience with what works for you before you buy your "last" RV.
Good point, Eric, thanks. This is our first B, and I would prefer to get that experience with something more in the 100K range rather than the 200K range.

We skipped over looking at Ram & Chevy chassis like the 190s & 210s, because we were told the Mercedes Sprinter was so much better. Then the roadtrekrental.com folks (Sande - Stay Adventurous) said don't even consider PleasureWay, Leisure Travel, Airstream, etc. 'cause, from their experience of renting hundreds of Roadtrek CS/RS across 11 states, nothing was comparable. If that's true, for us it's just down to which CS or RS layout we'll get. I'd be interested in any member who debated their claim that Roadtrek was the only one to look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
The amount of bling and dollhouse features is not what all consumers desire unless they want bragging rights and are impressed by visual features. Functional layout, openness, durability, and performance are high on my list but those things don't sell to the general public. "Pretty" sells to the general public. Experienced RVer's get over that once they develop knowledge through use but they are far and few in the market. I sold RV's for a few years and it seemed the most important features, which were in construction method or hidden were overshadowed by the fancy and the bling.
Thanks mojoman. Those four points you mentioned - functional layout, openness, durability, and performance are tops on our list, too. "Pretty" is not as important. We want car-like drive-ability and park-ability, good gas mileage and hill-climbing power, a seriously comfortable bed, and the closest thing to a home-like kitchen and bathroom experience we can get. Beyond that, good clothing/gear storage is high on the list. But durability - construction that will last at least a decade without falling apart - is tops for us.
Teja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:00 PM   #29
Site Team

When we shopped for our second B-van two years ago, RT was a non-starter for two reasons: (a) build quality and (b) inferior floorpans. We ended up with a Great West Vans Legend, which is now out of business. If you don't mind buying an orphaned brand, I would seriously consider looking for a late-model Legend. These are great vans and I imagine good deals may be available.

It is worth noting that the basic design of ARVs are near-exact clones of the GWV Legend, but with much higher-end finishes.

EDIT: A big part of our "floor plan" opinion reflects a strong bias against driver-side galleys.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 08:30 PM   #30
Platinum Member

We have a Chevy Roadtrek and we also chose mostly because of floorplan. We thought the Pleasure-way, Great West, and especially the Leisure units were of somewhat better fit and finish and showed more concern for neatly locating things like chargers, wiring, pumps, etc, along with superior overall quality appearance. We got ours in 08, and did not see any Winny or Airstream stuff around here back then. We preferred gas, as we can work on them ourselves and like the quietness and lower odor of gas.

There is a lot of information on this site about problems with Roadtreks in general (we had some on ours, too), and especially on the newly released stuff like etreks and the lithium battery and engine generator models. At least before the change in ownership, their customer service was very poor. There are less of the other models around, so you see less about any issues, but there are some owners here who are very happy with their brands, including Roadtreks.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:23 AM   #31

I like the Roadtrek CS as well as the Airstream Interstate Grand Tour. Comparing those two to an ARV is really no comparison as been stated. The ARV's are "what you want" because you design it. You will pay for it however.
slim4511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 02:40 AM   #32
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
We ended up with a Great West Vans Legend, which is now out of business. If you don't mind buying an orphaned brand, I would seriously consider looking for a late-model Legend.
Thanks Avanti, you peaked our interest, and I looked around the web for Great Wests for sale. I found a couple in FLA and Fairfield CA, 2013 or 14, with between 16K and 32K miles on them, both for about $85K-$90K asking price. Perhaps we'll check out the California one next time we're in Northern CA (we're 300 miles away.)

My only concern about 'buying an orphaned brand' would be service if something breaks down. I saw an article on the web about the financial/legal difficulties that forced Great West out of business when they went to relocate from Canada to Alabama. It said they hope to start up production again soon, once legalities are worked out, but that article is already over a year old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
A big part of our "floor plan" opinion reflects a strong bias against driver-side galleys.
Meaning, you prefer the sink/stove/galley on the passenger side? Why this preference?
Teja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 03:15 AM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teja View Post
Meaning, you prefer the sink/stove/galley on the passenger side? Why this preference?
In typical B-van layouts, the galley is on one side and the bath is on the other. The former is usually all window, but the latter obviously can't be. It is far nicer to have the "open" side of the van next to the sliding door, and facing the campsite which is nearly always on the passenger side. In addition, having the windows on the passenger side is more useful to the driver while underway.

IMO, the GWV/ARV floorpan with rear bed, center-left shower, and right-side galley is optimal.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 06:49 AM   #34
Platinum Member

Lake Region RV in Minnesota has a new 2015 Great West Legend (listed at $115K but call for close out price), and several used ones.

Current Inventory/Pre-Owned Inventory from Lake Region RVs Inc.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:16 AM   #35
Platinum Member

same here on the layout- our galley looks out to the campsite and picnic table- the lack of floor to ceiling cabinetry adds to a more open feel- from the driver's seat I can see to the back doors by turning head or with the mirror.

and the window in the side door is really really handy for checking for traffic on left turns out of driveways

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #36
Platinum Member

The "which side the kitchen should be on" debate will go on for eternity , I think. Many of us don't really care as long as the layout is comfortable. Our Chevy Roadtrek has the kitchen on the driver side, and aisle bath on the passenger side, plus an armoire instead of the third seat. Our 07 also came with the audio 1/2 size cabinet next to the sink and is a Popular with a closet right behind the driver. There is no long open side in ours, and also in many of the Dodge and Chevy Roadtreks. The Roadtrek CS Sprinter is very close to the layout of the older units with a much less open, more storage, design.

What I found very interesting is that my claustrophobic wife is just fine in our Roadtrek for long periods without issue. If we go into a model that has floor to ceiling cabinets, bathroom, etc from the driver seat all the way to the bed, she feels quite clastrophobic, even with the open other side. If the cabinets are dark colored, it is even worse for her. I can understand it a bit, as when I walk down the aisle of such a layout I feel myself lean away from "wall" side toward the open. It is the same feeling as you get walking very close to a building when the other side is wide open, or on a ledge type hiking trail (and why folks fall off, my doctor told me). The open area on our van alternates from side to side as you go down the aisle, or look at the area, and I think that is what balances my wife out, even though the area is quite more full of things than the units with one side wide open. Of course, having all the extra cabinet space is really nice, too.

It all boils down to what the people who have to live in the van like and are comfortable with, and what they are willing to give up to get it. For us, the idea of going to a 24' long van, with it's downsides, to have more open space inside it, is not even a second's consideration. Probably one of the hardest thing for us to give up with newer vans would be the outside storage areas, of which we have one big one on the driver side and two smaller ones on the passenger side. Having all the stuff like a stinky grill, hose, shore cable, propane hose, etc. inside all the time wouldn't be our first choice, for sure.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Yeah, the debate can go on and on but the fact remains that if you have the galley on the driver's side like Roadtrek does then you are also going to have a too high countertop and refrigerator and microwave inconveniently under the counter. The only way to counteract that poor situation is to have tall cabinets on both sides of the aisle creating extremely narrow aisles and real cave like claustrophobia. That is true for Sprinters. The Chevys just have too low of everything including head bumper side doors. Roadtrek has been the last Class B holdout for Chevys.

My previous 2011 Great West Van Legend is still for sale at Lake Region RVs. They are asking $79,995. They've lowered their price. It was in excellent shape when I sold it to them.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:17 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Yeah, the debate can go on and on but the fact remains that if you have the galley on the driver's side like Roadtrek does then you are also going to have a too high countertop and refrigerator and microwave inconveniently under the counter. The only way to counteract that poor situation is to have tall cabinets on both sides of the aisle creating extremely narrow aisles and real cave like claustrophobia. That is true for Sprinters. The Chevys just have too low of everything including head bumper side doors. Roadtrek has been the last Class B holdout for Chevys.

My previous 2011 Great West Van Legend is still for sale at Lake Region RVs. They are asking $79,995. They've lowered their price. It was in excellent shape when I sold it to them.
Not surprising that you would be stating opinions as facts, as that has been the history on this topic. Remember that I have a claustrophobic wife that lives in a Chevy easily, and she is uncomfortable in most Sprinters. Non clausetrophobes don't get the right to tell the real clausetrophobes that they shouldn't feel comfortable in any given area, and should feel good in another. As I said earlier, this is opinion, not fact, and there is no right or wrong answer, just opinions and personal tastes. You never know, maybe it is the floorplan of your old Great West that is keeping it from selling after this long
Old 09-16-2016, 10:27 PM   #39
Platinum Member

Is it an opinion that the countertops are higher than universal standard, the microwave is below the counter which is not normal, and the refrigerator is on the floor? Is there anyone that would say they would prefer that over eye level microwave monitoring which is accepted industry standard, refrigerators you can see without stooping down, countertops that are at a normal standard 36" high, and wider aisles? Roadtrek violates all normal standards.

Here is another one. With the galley on the passenger side with no appliances, the counter depth can be shallower freeing up nominally 8" for additional aisle width or deeper bathrooms. Roadtreks with refrigerators and under counter have to have more depth to accommodate them. Then with the bathroom on the passenger side it has to be wide as well. To compensate they make them as bare minimum in depth as they can and then have expandable doors in order to use. Still the Roadtrek aisles are much narrower.

It is this simple (and fact BTW). A Sprinter has about 70" width inside. A Roadtrek 24" galley depth plus a 24" bathroom depth leaves a 22" aisle. A kitchen galley on the passenger side can be 16" to accommodate a standard RV sink and cooktop with a bathroom on the driver side of 28" depth. That leaves 26" of aisle. I've rounded off the numbers but you get the idea - more aisle space to pass by, less cramped bathrooms, microwaves at eye level and much larger refrigerators at a height you can see and reach in to without stooping over.

The Airstream Grand Tour finally got it right. The Airstream Lounge still copies Roadtrek's RS Adventurous and actually cuts down to a 19" aisle right at the bed entrance. The Roadtrek CS has tall cabinets on both sides.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:38 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Yep, dimensions are facts--how you interpret them, and what they mean to you are opinions. As an architect, you should know that different folks like different things that in singularity are facts. Did anyone ever tell you to make a building hallway, office, or conference room to the size they wanted, not want you thought was proper? Did you tell them they were wrong and argue with them?