Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 09:18 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post
I don't understand why anybody would be disdainful about something that they have no knowledge of or understanding about.

Men who insist upon urinating standing up all of the time apparently have not done that in their bare feet else they would realize the splatter is a totally unacceptable indoor behavior, if only from the perspective of cleanliness.
I have done research in the past, was disappointed.

I am open to hearing what you can recommend specifically in terms of average period between dumping in days at 2-4 bowel movements per day.

And is there a better technology than what was presented in the videos.

By the way, I usually pee in a separate bottle & use have enough supply of that to flush any paper.

The Utility of placing poop laden paper in even a dedicated trashcan seems to me as a Medical Professional to create another set of issues.
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:06 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
There are only two dumping stations for the whole of LA.

Metro RV- Burbank

santitation and site services in Sylmar

I used to live in Mar Vista, I know your pain !
we could access the city sewers ( not storm) in the alley behind our house
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 11:30 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Thank you MK,

Yes I know Metro RV.

This is my experience there;

1. Frequently the City has closed their Dump Station down.

2. Its an RV Operation that barely survives & only because of the Ignoramt first timer needing to rent one of their Rental Units & their Storage Fees.

3. Their Repair Facility farms out most of their work to others like Lodgemobile & Benchmark* because they are technically incompetent.

4. For most of those naive souls that do get their units serviced there, it ends in countless delays, overcharging & the aforementioned incompetence that is beyond exasperating.

5. Their hole in the middle of the service bay access is another foray into standing water, bacteria & black tank issues.

6. Both facilities have issues with the dumping of the sizeable Homeless(?) RV Owners in their area.

*Benchmark do have a dump station & its a little better but the owner frowns on users appropriating water from the clean system.

*Benchmark is on average 65 minutes or 130 for me, into what I call, Death Valley
Old 06-22-2020, 11:31 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I spend a lot of time in your previous area & lament the closing of WEST COAST RV & MARINE on Venice.

Mark Roundry was such a pleasure to work with.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:58 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
I spend a lot of time in your previous area & lament the closing of WEST COAST RV & MARINE on Venice.

Mark Roundry was such a pleasure to work with.

all the old timers in Venice priced out...

sounds like you've had the runaround dumping in LA!
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:57 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
all the old timers in Venice priced out...

sounds like you've had the runaround dumping in LA!
MK - thats the beauty of a Class B, we can sleep in multi million dollar areas any time & choose between the Beach, the City, the Mountains with a turn of the key.
Old 06-23-2020, 01:15 PM   #27
Platinum Member

I can't get over this video Gone with the Wynn's composting toilet prep with coco coir. Besides handling and carrying a pee bucket every few days through your RV and finding a dumping spot, they carried out the whole toilet again through the RV outside to a prep table. Of course they show a pristine clean toilet, not a used one and didn't show the step where you had to dump literally poo (not compost) upside down into a plastic bag. Then they used a separate bucket to mix the coco coir with water and de-clump it before dumping it in the toilet. They said a half hour procedure of hydrating. They didn't mention you dump into a soiled toilet bowl or anything about cleaning the toilet bowl first or table spill clean up and clean up of the prep bucket. Then you had to carry a toilet back inside and re-assemble it. No mention of the weight of the toilet with poo. No mention of attracting flies or curious campground passerbys. So, is this a depiction one has to go through?

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:46 PM   #28
Site Team

These periodic "alt-toilet" discussions have always left me cold. In what way is a black tank with a fully-sealed macerator setup less than optimal?

The only things I can think of are:
1) The "behind the rear axle" issue; and
2) The "dump at McDonalds" issue.

#1 is just a technical issue that has technical solutions.
#2 is (IMO) pure fantasy for all but a few very special circumstances.

Dunno. Just me...
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 02:09 PM   #29
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
These periodic "alt-toilet" discussions have always left me cold. In what way is a black tank with a fully-sealed macerator setup less than optimal?

The only things I can think of are:
1) The "behind the rear axle" issue; and
2) The "dump at McDonalds" issue.

#1 is just a technical issue that has technical solutions.
#2 is (IMO) pure fantasy for all but a few very special circumstances.

Dunno. Just me...

avanti, know what your problem is?

You grew up, now you're an adult and no longer play with and on top of this topic. That is what babies and adults that have not grown up do. If anyone is questioning this, there is a documentry 'Babies' that documents just what happens around the world:

"BABIES. This visually stunning new movie simultaneously follows four babies around the world - from first breath to first steps. From Mongolia to Namibia to San Francisco to Tokyo, BABIES joyfully captures on film the earliest stages of the journey of humanity that are at once unique and universal to us all."

Most of us grow up and leave the sh*t behind, just wanting to eliminate it in the most efficient way with the least effort (push, pull a handle), smell .....................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babies_(film)

Still, if I had to drive 65 miles to dump every time, I'd would consider another dump method.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 05:06 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Anyone considering a composting toilet is encouraged to watch the Adinaros' video on the topic (below).

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know - lotsa FitRV critics on this forum. But seven hundred thousand viewers can't be wrong. I think it's a balanced, honest assessment of pros and cons, and that's why it became so popular.

The only thing that I find that this video and other similar treatments gloss over is the issue of WHERE the urine is dumped on a daily basis. Very few composting toilet advocates are willing to come clean on that touchy subject. It's not an issue if you are in the middle of absolute nowhere, but what if you are spending time in a major metro area?

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:42 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post

The only thing that I find that this video and other similar treatments gloss over is the issue of WHERE the urine is dumped on a daily basis. Very few composting toilet advocates are willing to come clean on that touchy subject. It's not an issue if you are in the middle of absolute nowhere, but what if you are spending time in a major metro area?
I’ve been dumping my pee bucket every camping day for five years. Boondocking, I put the paper elsewhere and dump in the bushes—no worse than a man taking a leak. Campgrounds, Camp toilet. In town, wherever there is a public restroom—fast food, convenience store, etc. A small bucket with a white garbage bag tucked inside doesn’t attract untoward attention. Never had a problem. I’ve seen separating toilets use detergent, etc., bottles which would be similarly discreet.

I think the key is "smaller is better." I'd rather dump a bit of fresh pee every day than a larger volume that is unwieldy and has begun to stink.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 10:03 PM   #32
Platinum Member

A black tank is simply the most like a home potty. With a sealed macerator system, you have no drips, mess, or smells when you put away the hose.

You've got to empty the gray tank anyway, so the black tank is just done first. Extend 1" hose, remove cap, pull valve, flip macerator switch. Reverse and you're done.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #33
Platinum Member

themexicandoc,
You prefer the Thetford 5.5, and I had no knowledge of it. Curiosity had me looking for it.

While watching the video, the unit seemed OK. But at 8:00 minutes the ick factor kicked in.

Did the Fit folks do something different than you when its time for a cleanout?
Old 06-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #34
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmb496 View Post
themexicandoc,
You prefer the Thetford 5.5, and I had no knowledge of it. Curiosity had me looking for it.

While watching the video, the unit seemed OK. But at 8:00 minutes the ick factor kicked in.

Did the Fit folks do something different than you when its time for a cleanout?
I found this video very biased, FitRv folks are on a crusade to market composting toilets, trying to kill porta potties or cassettes is one of their way. They called this porta patty a cassette and it is not.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:32 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Watched the video from 7.58.

THEIR EXPERIENCE WAS NOTHING SHORT OF BIZARRE!

By the way I have the square Thetford 5.5, the modular version in the video is too tall, doesn't travel well & there was some user failures with that unit only.

Plus my unit was real cheap from West Marine;
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/thetf...42?recordNum=2 - $135

I HAVE THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE FEELINGS TO FIT RV.

I DO USE A SMALL AMOUNT OF THETFORD CHEMICAL.

AND I HAVENT FOUND ANY OTHER VIDEO THAT SUPPORTS THEIR VIEWPOINT.

Of HUNDREDS OUT THERE.

There may be an issue with their diet.

There should always be a little water in the cassette with chemical before you start using it.

I also carry a one gallon jug of water so after I empty the toilet, I pour into the water, put the cap back on & shake it & then empty it again.

You don't open the valve to burp it, you press a small white button which releases the air, as you pour the contents down the toilet.

For me personally as an Owner & a Physiologist, this is the easiest, most inexpensive & hygenic way to deal with #2.

The only drawback, the 3-4 day interval between dumping versus the 10 days with the black tank.

I think for Women, if you wait for the unit to completely fill, its a good 40 lbs to lift.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:43 PM   #36
Platinum Member

Quote:
Watched the video from 7.58.

THEIR EXPERIENCE WAS NOTHING SHORT OF BIZARRE!

By the way I have the square Thetford 5.5, the modular version in the video is too tall, doesn't travel well & there was some user failures with that unit only.

Plus my unit was real cheap from West Marine;

I HAVE THE COMPLETE OPPOSITE FEELINGS TO FIT RV.

I DO USE A SMALL AMOUNT OF THETFORD CHEMICAL.

AND I HAVENT FOUND ANY OTHER VIDEO THAT SUPPORTS THEIR VIEWPOINT.

Of HUNDREDS OUT THERE.

There may be an issue with their diet.

There should always be a little water in the cassette with chemical before you start using it.

I also carry a one gallon jug of water so after I empty the toilet, I pour into the water, put the cap back on & shake it & then empty it again.

You don't open the valve to burp it, you press a small white button which releases the air, as you pour the contents down the toilet.

For me personally as an Owner & a Physiologist, this is the easiest, most inexpensive & hygenic way to deal with #2.

The only drawback, the 3-4 day interval between dumping versus the 10 days with the black tank.

I think for Women, if you wait for the unit to completely fill, its a good 40 lbs to lift.
My experience is similar, I would add:
1. Cassettes have automatic vent and wheels over porta potties
2. I carry a spare cassette to double the capacity
3. I wash and thoroughly rinse the cassette after each trip.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 06:44 PM   #37
Platinum Member

Unfortunately, I have to agree with you.

There is a 2% chance that their issues were related to diet?

98% says they are BIASED & there is a FINANCIAL INCENTIVE for them to push Composting Toilets, after all they are a $1000 plus versus the $135 retail cost at WestMarine.

For me, I am simply amazed at how easy it is to dump but then again, I researched everything & carefully followed the steps.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:54 PM   #38
Platinum Member

I agree with George also, the benefit with the Cassettes is they have even better engineering than Porta Potti.

The added benefits of adding a Porta Potti to a Roadtrek is;

1. Take the Porta Potti & use it in the aisle, if possible placing your feet higher than flat on the ground for better elimination. As it is, the Roadtrek is a terrible design.
1A. Inexpensive investment at $135, you can always go back to your black tank if it doesn't fit.
1B. Versus Composting Owners who feel they have to justify their investment.
2. Keep your black plumbing minus the toilet head, if you need to, you now have your usual Thetford PLUS your black tank. This is my plan for long trips.
2A. The idea of a spare cassette is appealing indeed, doubling your capacity - Thank you George.
3. So much quicker, hygenic & easier than using the black tank & its free wherever their is a toilet.
4. No more Thetford leaking in the connection & dealing with the Pex plumbing.
5. No more Black Tank Maintenance
Old 06-24-2020, 07:50 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
3. So much quicker, hygenic & easier than using the black tank & its free wherever their is a toilet.
May be a toss-up if you use a slinky. If you have a fully-sealed macerator, a black tank is obviously easier and more hygienic.
Quote:
4. No more Thetford leaking in the connection & dealing with the Pex plumbing.
Instead, you have the huge, dry cassette seal leaking stinky air, requiring a continuous exhaust vent to avoid.
Quote:
5. No more Black Tank Maintenance
Replaced by much more frequent cassette maintenance.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:14 PM   #40
Bronze Member

I know it's not practical in a B van because of the amount of electricity or propane required, but an incinerating toilet would be the ultimate toilet in a RV IMO. I would love to only have to deal with a small amount of ash and no water required. I understand that these are very commonly used in the small European trailers and motorhomes. Not sure how they deal with the power required. Maybe when fuel cells become practical to generate enough power...
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote