Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2020, 01:23 PM   #81
Platinum Member

So, that is the etymology.

When you are thirsty you are likely dehydrated.

When you are desiccated you are most assuredly dead.
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:27 PM   #82
Platinum Member

Location: East of world famous Sedro Woolley, west of Concrete

So it's a matter of degree. Both words refer to removal of water, desiccate means to a higher degree.
Since "composting toilets" dry the waste, but almost certainly do not remove the last vestige of H20, I think dehydrating is a perfectly descriptive term for the process.
Now, with trip reports!!!!
skagitstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:32 PM   #83
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagitstan View Post
So it's a matter of degree. Both words refer to removal of water, desiccate means to a higher degree.
Since "composting toilets" dry the waste, but almost certainly do not remove the last vestige of H20, I think dehydrating is a perfectly descriptive term for the process.
I have always tried to be as precise as possible in my english. Just me. It is sort of like the difference between debris and bio detritus. It depends upon how precise you want to be.

Here is some authority in case that helps...

http://www.waterpathogens.org/book/c...cating-toilets
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:44 PM   #84
Platinum Member

Location: East of world famous Sedro Woolley, west of Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post
I have always tried to be as precise as possible in my english. Just me. It is sort of like the difference between debris and bio detritus. It depends upon how precise you want to be.

Here is some authority in case that helps...

Composting and Dry Desiccating Toilets (Latrines) | Global Water Pathogen Project
As an analog/system engineer, I tend to think of a process continuum. So I tend to use words that acknowledge the process more than a specific endpoint.
Thus dehydrating vs desiccated. The primary design goals are to reduce solids volume/odor by separation and vented evaporation. Not to achieve a specific low moisture % spec.
But both terms are far more accurate than "composting". There is no attempt to optimize things like moisture, temperature, or pH content for actual composting activity in these toilets.
Now, with trip reports!!!!
skagitstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 05:51 PM   #85
Platinum Member

Generally speaking, for you owners of the Separett toilets, what is your average period between emptying the solids?
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #86
Platinum Member

Interesting discussion about composting toilets, I never paid much attention to them finding them disgusting, the Swedish one seems as the easiest one to dispose #2.

I think the biggest differentiators between composting, cassette and black tank systems is availability to dump.

- The black tank system is the most constrained, it must be dumped in dumping stations if on the road. It could be dumped at home if a sanitary sewer drain is accessible. Being on a septic system adds some chemical constraints.

- Cassettes can be dumped in any public toilets, with 2-3 days intervals,

- Composting toilets have the highest level of flexibility, for #1 similar to cassettes and for #2 3-4 weeks intervals give a lot of options.

I think the second factor to choose right option is design aspect, cassettes, porta potties and compositing toilets require minimum space. All installations are above the floor, no plumbing below which can reduce road clearance. Most of black tank installations I have seen reduce road clearance, sometime dramatically.

For our few days’ lifestyle camping on campgrounds with facilities cassette did and still makes sense. I can see ourselves with Separrat, the plastic bag would make a big difference for us. Black tank was eliminated in my design reasonably early in the process due to lack of room below the floor. Our spare tire elimination was the only option and I am not ready for it yet.

It is Interesting to see forum discussions, a lot of folks get a lot beating for not choosing THE RIGHT sanitary system, and the right one is usually the one owned by the critic.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:35 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
It is Interesting to see forum discussions, a lot of folks get a lot beating for not choosing THE RIGHT sanitary system, and the right one is usually the one owned by the critic.
THE RIGHT sanitary system in our case turned out to be our prior unit, which had a cassette toilet and separated gray water tank. That allowed us to dump the cassette every few days at remote USFS or BLM campground toilets.

On our new rig we're back to the more conventional black tank system. That's required us to break up extended trips in remote areas to get back to dump station access. Doesn't mean one system is better than the other, just that the cassette toilet allowed us more uninterrupted time at remote sites.

Of course the new rig has plenty of other benefits and improved features. It's just one of those tradeoffs one makes unless buying a fully custom rig or doing a self-build.
rockymtnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 09:51 PM   #88
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockymtnb View Post
THE RIGHT sanitary system in our case turned out to be our prior unit, which had a cassette toilet and separated gray water tank. That allowed us to dump the cassette every few days at remote USFS or BLM campground toilets.
So, this comment got me thinking:
If one has occasional need for cassette-style dumping, couldn't a macerator be used to fill a 5-gallon gerry can from the black tank?

Not being sarcastic. Wouldn't this be the best of both worlds? It might require the design of purpose-built fittings to prevent messiness, but that seems doable to me.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #89
Platinum Member

But back to the original question:

We use an Airhead "composting" toilet in our RV. It works great for the type of camping we do...mostly 1-2 week boondocking, with occasional stops at a more remote FS campground.

I think the term "composting toilet" is a misnomer that throws most folks off. It's better name would be dehydrator.
Absolutely no stink, it's easy to empty the pee bucket, the poop bucket lasts for weeks and is easily disposed of safely in an range of approved methods.

No mess with dumping black tanks or cassettes, which are just mini-black tanks. We don't need to make sure we lug extra fresh H2O for flushing. No issues with leaky or busted valves, or low hanging tanks hurting our ground clearance. We don't need to find an RV dump, which means we don't need to visit overpopulated developed campgrounds.[/QUOTE]

We have a new and as yet unused class B RV. The black tank hasn't received its first deposit.

As the OP, when I began considering a composting toilet about 6 days ago, my initial opinion and expectations are exactly as you have described your experiences.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:00 AM   #90
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
If one has occasional need for cassette-style dumping, couldn't a macerator be used to fill a 5-gallon gerry can from the black tank?

Not being sarcastic. Wouldn't this be the best of both worlds? It might require the design of purpose-built fittings to prevent messiness, but that seems doable to me.
They make pretty small Blue Boy tanks that might do the same thing. You’re adding an extra step to the process, and you still have the under-hanging tank. Some might consider that the worst of both worlds. In a Class B there is also the issue of where to carry the thing.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:25 AM   #91
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
\you still have the under-hanging tank.
For the record:
B-van black tanks are commonly located inside the van, in a little pedestal under the toilet.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:01 PM   #92
Platinum Member

Quote:
For the record:
B-van black tanks are commonly located inside the van, in a little pedestal under the toilet.
Correct. Don't know what I was thinking... let's call it a brain fart.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:15 PM   #93
Platinum Member

Quote:

When we camped in Anchorage, AK near downtown, I observed a German RV. He had a cassette, but in order to dump his grey water he had a short hose to empty into a 5-gallon bucket with which he had to empty at the dump station several times on trips back and forth.

Whether cassettes, composting toilets or other, you still have to deal with your grey water and in a confined space such as a campground you are not going to dump on the ground, though I have seen azzholes try it.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:35 PM   #94
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
When we camped in Anchorage, AK near downtown, I observed a German RV. He had a cassette, but in order to dump his grey water he had a short hose to empty into a 5-gallon bucket with which he had to empty at the dump station several times on trips back and forth.
Yep. That's because in Europe the campgrounds have grates that you pull over in order to dump your grey water--no hose involved. From our Iceland trip:

IMG_8291.jpg

(The little stand pipe is where you dump your cassette.)
Old 06-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #95
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yep. That's because in Europe the campgrounds have grates that you pull over in order to dump your grey water--no hose involved. From our Iceland trip:

Attachment 9373

(The little stand pipe is where you dump your cassette.)

So 'there' you would have 2 different holes for your gray and black tanks, while 'here' not having to move the macerator hose from one hole to the other.

When returning home from a trip, I just use one hole and one hose. But I do have to pull and then push 2 different handles.

Sure like the way I do it here.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:01 PM   #96
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
So 'there' you would have 2 different holes for your gray and black tanks, while 'here' not having to move the macerator hose from one hole to the other.
They don't have black tanks "there" -- cassettes are universal.
Old 06-28-2020, 02:19 PM   #97
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
They don't have black tanks "there" -- cassettes are universal.
Sure they do, they just like to carry them around vs here where the wheels of the B's do the carrying.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:00 PM   #98

I'm new to the site and am doing homework on a sprinter Revel 2019. We're looking to combine land yachting with our current cruising. I thought I chimed in here because I have six years of experience with composting heads
We're already campers but on water, we live aboard our 43' sailboat. 6 years ago we went to composting head from the holding tank and it was the best thing we ever did. No more stinky tubing and pump outs.
First we used the Nature's head, it was okay but the exhaust fan was too small and we had a real hard time with getting enough air to create the drying effect. about 18 months later, we switched over to the Airhead, which is the original maker of composting heads, and we've had really good luck with that.
some things that we have learned along the way is that we now use only coconut coir and second I plumbed the air intake line to a dry Locker so that I'm not pulling in moist air cuz it's a shower as well, very much like on the camper vans.
the Airhead has a much larger exhaust fan which is actually just a computer fan and it draws much more air to create a dryer environment for the composting to happen.
As far as your air intake on a van make sure you can put the hose to a site not in the shower where there is constant moisture, that way dry air goes across the peat moss and gets pulled up & outside through the roof. we've never had a smelly head since.
The only negative I can tell you is the urine container, which fills pretty quickly. Be sure to add white vinegar, as it neutralizes the urine. No smell whatsoever. Some people use flat sodas, because the sugar does the same, but I'm told it makes it pretty syrupy.
One video says the guy dumps his at a Starbucks, which really makes me laugh.
we're two people living aboard full-time and our composting head needs emptying about every 30 days. It really depends as long as nobody got diarrhea which adds so much moisture it takes longer to dry. The whole concept is pooping into a very dry coconut coir turning it over to dry out the poop and it turns to dirt and there's no smell. we don't have an issue with toilet paper because we don't put anything that we haven't eaten in the head which is a common rule on boats and I suspect on Camper vans. we fold it up and put it into a little bin next to the Head and there's no smell and it's not disgusting at all.

with my homework on the Mercedes-Benz Revel instead of a black water tank they have a cassette that holds 5 gallons and it seems to me that I will be dumping that every other day which I'm not very fond of in spite of the chemical that you use in it to dissolve all the solids.
sati8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:48 PM   #99
Bronze Member

I have a really hard time thinking about putting used toilet paper in a bin beside me in my bathroom. I don't think I could ever get used to that. I'll stick with the black tank for this reason among some others.
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 05:58 PM   #100
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I have a really hard time thinking about putting used toilet paper in a bin beside me in my bathroom. I don't think I could ever get used to that.
Very normal practice in other parts of the world. It’s really not a big deal.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote