Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2020, 06:02 PM   #101
Platinum Member

One beautiful thing about the Separett, among many, is that you can use any kind of paper, and as much paper as you like. Just drop it in the bin and forget it.

(By the way, I have no relationship with Separett whatsoever.)
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:03 PM   #102
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Very normal practice in other parts of the world. It’s really not a big deal.
So are a lot of other things...
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:07 PM   #103
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skagitstan View Post
So it's a matter of degree.
No, one word is more correct, so I use that word. No big deal. Feel free to use any word you wish. Does not matter to anyone for sure.

Did you read the citation that I provided?
Old 06-28-2020, 06:40 PM   #104
Silver Member

I am not a fan of the commercial composting toilets because of their cost, the difficulty of installing a vent fan, the height of the toilet seat, the electric draw of the fan, and most especially the dumping process. Our method which is working really well for the last 3 years and we mostly boondock: use a 2.5 gallon porta potty (installed in our Roadtrek where the toilet once was) ONLY for the urine. No TP in this potty so the urine can be dumped at the campsite unless it's a public campground, where we dump in the restroom. Use a custom-enhanced bucket toilet with residential toilet seat (that stores away) for the solids. This bucket gets a kitchen trash bag first, then a layer of cover material (whatever is available - dry leaves, pet bedding, peat moss), and new cover material is added on top after each use. No TP goes in the bucket, so we can feel good about burying the solids if we are in an approved area for that. This bucket lasts about 3 days for the two of us, then we simply lift out the solids bag, double-bag it with the dirty TP and save it for dumping later in the nearest dumpster if we couldn't bury it. No spilling of contents or having to haul a 40 pound toilet somewhere. The bucket is very light. Also this bucket sits outside while we are at the campsite with a special rain cover cap (or a black trash bag upside down works OK - just not as good on the air flow - you want things to stay dry). We can use the bucket inside or outside depending on the situation. It can be stored either in the rear storage bay or on top of the porta potty secured with a long bungee strap. If we're in a place where it must be stored inside and ready to use, like a RV park, we snap a solid lid on the bucket occasionally to completely block any odor. There's no odor when you pass by the bucket outside... I've only noticed odor when it's open and inside the RV (remember we're not using the fan system or an agitator - sometimes shaking the bucket around can help with the composting though). I'd rather use this system and have to occasionally spray a little air freshener around than drive for miles out of our way to find an approved dump station. We also don't have to dump our grey water at a dump station because we use biodegradable soap and never put food or grease down the drain, and we spread our grey water around in 5 gallon quantities only.

But if I lived in a state where most of my camping was done at campgrounds with full hookups available, I wouldn't be using this bucket system. We just happen to prefer wild camping in remote locations.
Average_alice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 07:36 PM   #105

Yup good alternative.
I've heard once again about biodegradable soaps, smart.
I'm always learning
sati8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:15 PM   #106
Platinum Member

All the hippies used this in the late 1960s.

It is still the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200628_161742.jpg (95.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-28-2020, 09:06 PM   #107
Platinum Member

Location: East of world famous Sedro Woolley, west of Concrete

Quote:
Originally Posted by TygerMark View Post
No, one word is more correct, so I use that word. No big deal. Feel free to use any word you wish. Does not matter to anyone for sure.

Did you read the citation that I provided?
Yes, I read the citation. Not much that wasn't readily available from a multitude of sources about "composting" toilets.

Oh, and here's the wiki definition for "desiccate"
https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/desiccate
Note the synonyms.
  1. desiccate (third-person singular simple present desiccates, present participle desiccating, simple past and past participle desiccated)
    1. (transitive) To remove moisture from; to dry. [from late 16th c.]
  2. Synonyms: dehydrate, exiccate (obsolete), exsiccate, parchAntonyms: hydrate, moisten, moisturize, wet
  3. (transitive) To preserve by drying. [from late 16th c.]
  4. (intransitive, rare) To become dry; to dry up.
So please demonstrate how "one word is more correct", when referring to the processes within a "composting" toilet like the Airhead.
Now, with trip reports!!!!
skagitstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 09:07 PM   #108
Platinum Member

I was introduced to this bag on the PM forum. Tied shut, there is absolutely no odor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 04:35 PM   #109

There are many people (like me) that bought a class B motorhome (Carado Banff) & the Company went belly up. The toilet is a macerating toilet . ( a grinder) If you read on line about the last 10 years of Road Trek (Where the Banff was built) there are many complaints about workmanship. There are especially many complaints about the macerating toilets. I'm seriously thinking about a composting toilet if I keep the unit. Not as nice as the large gravity fed toilets in the Class A motorhomes, but as these people talked about you improvise. I've never used the shower (wet bath) in my unit and I'm sure I can get by using the composting toilet on a limited basis using other facilities. Have a great day
Reiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:04 PM   #110

You've never owned the bankrupt Carado Banff with terrible quality control. I've hardly ever used the macerating toilet and have had nothing but trouble with it. Came with the wires to the macerator under toliet with wires too short and had to stub in longer wires which was no big deal but give me a break. Now I've got the macerator under toilet unplugged because if I have the coach batteries on the macerator runs continuosly. Compost toilet is sounding pretty good to me.
Reiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:38 PM   #111
Platinum Member

My new Air Head composting toilet will probably be shipped to me this week.
Old 09-01-2020, 01:00 AM   #112
Platinum Member

We never use our onboard toilet for "deuces". All of our camping is done where there's an outside option; using the toilet is a matter of en-route or late at night urinary convenience. Dumping the black water tank is never particularly nasty.

Early in the pandemic, I was using the van as an office and the toilet got a fair amount of use, and I've dumped the tank into a blue boy with the van in my driveway. Even though I had to raise the RV a little to gain some clearance for the tank to fit, it wasn't a problem. In them meantime, the novelty of van-office has worn off. We've gone ahead and made separate home offices in two bedrooms.

The idea of having to heft waste of any sort out the RV door (even allowing for the fact that the bathroom is right across from the side sliding door) is absolutely a non-starter for me.

I do have a Thetford Port-a-Potty that I'd bring along if we were planning to boon dock. It would be outside.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 01:07 PM   #113
Platinum Member

Completed the retro-fit several days ago.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060084.jpg (79.7 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1060079.jpg (71.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg P1060067.jpg (78.7 KB, 9 views)
Old 09-18-2020, 01:17 PM   #114
Platinum Member

Looks like a nice installation.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #115
Platinum Member

You bet! Dr Bronners is the best.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote