Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-26-2022, 12:42 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default connecting regulated burner to onboard propane

Naïve question. I have a burner like the one shown below, made to connect directly to a 20 pound LP tank. The quick connect fitting on my RV is regulated and I want to use the adjustable regulator on the burner. Is the LP fill port on my Lexor the same as a 20 pound tank, and is there any reason I can't connect this directly to it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg burner.JPG (53.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 01-26-2022, 06:12 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Don’t think so. Take it to a propane supply place and they will tell you how to get the proper pressure to the burner.

Find the pressure your burner wants to run on and the pressure delivered by the coach fitting and solve the problem.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilym View Post
Naïve question. I have a burner like the one shown below, made to connect directly to a 20 pound LP tank. The quick connect fitting on my RV is regulated and I want to use the adjustable regulator on the burner. Is the LP fill port on my Lexor the same as a 20 pound tank, and is there any reason I can't connect this directly to it?
This question was posted on FB PW forum. As I understand it. You can purchase a connection to your tank. The fill connection is special. I believe they run like $55.00 This port should not be used by us. Professional use only since it is the fill port for liquid propane.

I have used the quick connect port to another regulator and connected to my propane generator. This double regulator propane worked fine. I think connecting to your burner should be fine. Propane generators are very sensitive to pressures. When pressure drops even slightly, you cannot fire these up.

If this does not work. You can always remove the burner regulator and insert a valve into the line to adjust propane flow and control your flame?
Old 01-26-2022, 01:51 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Plumb in an "extend-a-stay" type fitting. This fitting inserts between your onboard propane tank and your onboard regulator and gives you a port that is high pressure that you can use to run your burner with its own regulator. Everything else will function as it always did.

Here's one example from amazon. There are others.

LINK

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2022, 02:01 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I paid a fair amount to have an auxiliary outside LP outlet installed on my van to use for a portable grill. I have never even used it yet. It is more convenient to have the grill on the campsite picnic table than on the ground right next to the van. The grill also uses so little propane that the small, cheap, disposable propane canisters last quite awhile. It sounded like a good idea to tap off my vans propane tank but it ended up being a waste of money for me.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 04:20 PM   #6
Platinum Member

That's the way I feel. I've gone to refillable 1-lb tanks from Flame King and always have a couple of full ones when we go camping.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 12:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric1514 View Post
Plumb in an "extend-a-stay" type fitting.
This allows you to connect a bbq tank to your RV? Is that to run stuff in the RV if the main tank is empty?
beauregaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 04:50 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beauregaard View Post
This allows you to connect a bbq tank to your RV? Is that to run stuff in the RV if the main tank is empty?
Yes. The one I linked has that capability, but it also has another port that allows you to hook up an appliance that requires HP propane like the OP's burner.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote