Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2009, 02:52 AM   #1
Ron
Platinum Member

Default Conversation with Michelin Dealers on new tires

I called several Michelin Tire Dealers in my area today informing them that I wanted Four (4) Michelin XPS RIB LT245/75R16/E tires for my Class B Van/Camper informed them I did not want any tires that are older than 6 months, all dealers informed me they could not guaranty me that they could get the tires 6 months or less.

One dealer stated that he had the tires in stock they were 3 years old, stated there was no problem with a 3 year old tire. He stated that the law states that the shelf life of a tire is 3 years old, and that the tires can be sold by law even if they are 3 years old.

Another dealer informed me that he did not believe that he could get me tires 6 months or less from Michelin, as Michelin is not the biggest tire manufacture, and not the biggest tire seller so they would have older tires stocked in the XPS RIB LT245/75R/16E.

Upon speaking with yet another dealer he informed me that he had the tires that I wanted in stock, but they were at least 3 years old, and they were okay to sell, besides he stated that Michelin does not build the XPS RIB LT245/75R16E tires anymore.

Sent an E-mail to Michelin Tire Company if indeed the XPS RIB LT245/75R/16E is no longer being built, or if they are still being built, which I believe they are being built. My thought is that the sales clerk who said that the XPS-RIB were no longer being made wanted me to buy what he has on the shelf.

I also informed Michelin if they could assure me that the tires are newly manufactured I would gladly furnish Michelin with the name of a Michelin Dealer that I would deal with here in the New Bedford, MA area.

Will see if Michelin will respond to my E-mail.

I believe awhile back an individual on one of the RV groups made mention as to what happens to a tire that has been sitting on the shelf a year or two, maybe he will post again.

What is the acceptable time frame on purchasing new tires that are on the shelf or when ordered, 6 months, 1 year?

Ron
FMCA:303873 ~K1RRC~ RRRCRT@aol.com
Ron is offline   Reply With Quote