Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
From TMD's pics, can't you just use the window behind the galley sink that's already there and find a small fan you can mount there for exhaust?
I have an 05 Roadtrek Versatile with fixed windows & the OP has a 2012 Roadtrek but i don't know what model.

If it was me, I would use some components of her idea but instead of drawing the laden air all the way up & having it make an abrupt corner & sinuous corner at the top before venting out I would cut into the rear wall of the cooking area & the subsequent insulation/backing/next stage before the vehicle skin & the outer vehicle skin a same size diameter opening of which I would have an easily removable for maintenance, ametal shroud covering a powerful two or three stage fan.

The challenge is going to be the seamless connection between the outer skin & the interior.

Without a photo its hard to ascertain.

But with glass being the only surface between the two I would cut a reinforced hole through the glass window if it was big enough & rigid enough to accept such a fitting on either side.

Again, without a photo I cannot see how critical this window is the aesthetics.

BUT if it wasn't critical - unless I am cleaning I always have a blind over my kitchen window - then I would go to a fabricator, have that glass removed & in its place either a super durable perspex or plastic material substituted for the window which I keep in storage until resale, and have my opening/fan/shroud attached to that easier to work with material.

Be back in 8 minutes, hold that thought ...
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 08:12 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Can't determine which model or how it would work without a photo.

Plus you don't want a hose that crosses over the galley area ie; stive/sink, etc.

But if I had glass right behind & no existing opening, thst is what I would choose. You will need an aggregate/filter screen cut out for the beginning of the hose.

And if you cook several times per week, someone might need to wipe of the grease as it flows outside although most should be caught by the screen.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 09-22-2020, 08:48 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
From TMD's pics, can't you just use the window behind the galley sink that's already there and find a small fan you can mount there for exhaust?
I just discovered the solution for the intersection of the outside inside surfaces - A SLEEVE that the inlet vent pipe fits over & that the outside fan, mounts inside.
Old 09-22-2020, 11:24 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I just found this product, thank you GallenH for the inspiration;

Plus it was on special, $1.99 for 10 pieces that were delicious.

I refuse to use a Microwave, I replaced the space as an extra Cabinet on Day One.

So I had to fry it & of course, I mostly burnt it but ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200922_155012.jpg (138.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 20200922_155046.jpg (214.4 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-26-2020, 01:51 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Default thank you

Thank you TMD for all your replies.

TMD. tell me about the sleeve. You talking about venting through the vents under the sink window? I agree that a vent hose over the galley would be an issue.

Well, just replaced front sway bar bushings/links and we are headed to the Outer Banks tomorrow.
Most of the state park campsites in NC dont have hookups so we are going to try paper plates and finger crossing that our 190 ah will last for a couple days......

Thanks again
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:53 PM   #26
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBox View Post
Thank you TMD for all your replies.

TMD. tell me about the sleeve. You talking about venting through the vents under the sink window? I agree that a vent hose over the galley would be an issue.

Well, just replaced front sway bar bushings/links and we are headed to the Outer Banks tomorrow.
Most of the state park campsites in NC dont have hookups so we are going to try paper plates and finger crossing that our 190 ah will last for a couple days......

Thanks again
ENJOY!

Just so the Germ can lay dormant in your Brain (you inspired me with the aluminum pan idea), I would go through the skin & the stainless steel back splash with this type of device but one that has a thick enough sleeve.

It will be on that white panel next to the window & the intake van would be mounted in that aluminum pan.

I will do this with my van anyway when I return to Los Angeles.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200727_132049_resized.jpg (275.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20200727_132053_resized.jpg (230.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 20190330_133121_resized.jpg (204.8 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-27-2020, 04:46 PM   #27
Bronze Member

To prevent spatters, I highly recommend the "Frywall". It is silicone and comes in several sizes and colors. Not perfect it but sure helps. (See photo of salmon steaks using the "Frywall".) Also, I am lucky enough to have stainless steel panels behind my stove on 2 sides and above.
To clean the stainless steel panels, I use "Weiman Stainless Steel Wipes" and a microfiber cloth.

https://frywall.com/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weiman-St...Count/15107752

Nancy
2000 Pleasure Way Excel TD
Attached Images
File Type: jpg salmon steaks and frywall.jpg (133.1 KB, 4 views)
ballbraindogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:02 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Default Maybe an idea...

Consider making a pan lid with a 2" outlet on top, and connect it to an umbilical hose with an inline fan somewhere in a cabinet space. Then you can vent the output hose in any direction, even through the floor.

(Just a wild idea, which I have not tried yet, but it's like the exhaust hoses you see at auto repair bays and fire stations)
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:13 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic7320 View Post
Consider making a pan lid with a 2" outlet on top, and connect it to an umbilical hose with an inline fan somewhere in a cabinet space. Then you can vent the output hose in any direction, even through the floor.

(Just a wild idea, which I have not tried yet, but it's like the exhaust hoses you see at auto repair bays and fire stations)
Getting started next week.

But not the ribbed hose as it traps the oils.

You can bag it between uses but.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:24 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballbraindogs View Post
To prevent spatters, I highly recommend the "Frywall". It is silicone and comes in several sizes and colors. Not perfect it but sure helps. (See photo of salmon steaks using the "Frywall".) Also, I am lucky enough to have stainless steel panels behind my stove on 2 sides and above.
To clean the stainless steel panels, I use "Weiman Stainless Steel Wipes" and a microfiber cloth.

https://frywall.com/

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Weiman-St...Count/15107752

Nancy
This is a great idea.

I may have handicapped myself by building this 5/Five Post Safety/Advantage System.

Around each stove I have these posts with Brass Treaded Nuts so if on an angle when parked, they cooking systems cannot slide off & I had all my cooking equipment; pots, fry pans, etc modified so if I am on such an angle, even slight, I can adjust the plane of the cooking surface by typically winding up the brass knob & putting the pots/pans into a interlocking edge upon the knob.

My main concern is the venting of the cooking odours and an easy access, easy clean system for cleaning any vented surface the oils attach themselves to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200927_141519_resized(1).jpg (258.5 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 20200927_142307_resized.jpg (276.1 KB, 1 views)
Old 09-28-2020, 02:07 AM   #31
Platinum Member

That Frywall looks like a good idea.
You still have some oil aerosol and odor to deal with but the cone looks like it keeps things cleaner.
Question is how it fits on our cramped ranges.

Great idea, thanks.
2014 Camry hybrid-soulless transport appliance
MagicBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:40 PM   #32

Hello everyone, GallenH asked what to do about the grease smell on grills. I use a small Weber charcoal grill (from Amazon). When it cools down I use grill wipes (available most places that sell BBQ/grilling accessories, in Ontario anyways) to wipe it down along with the lid and anything else. Works pretty good. I store the grill in my RT 210P pullout storage bin. It just, just fits. It was a challenge finding the right grill that would fit.
The Ukrainian cast iron fry pan that InterBlog uses caught my attention, what does it look like?
Vic D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #33
Bronze Member

For MagicBox:

This is what the Frywall looks like with my 10" fry pan. I LOVE it!

Nancy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Frywall 1.jpg (206.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Frywall 2.jpg (163.0 KB, 3 views)
Old 09-28-2020, 09:36 PM   #34

What I do is send all cooking odors, etc. right out the window at my cooktop. I have a Fantastic fan in the bathroom and a window nearly directly behind the cooking surface. When I use my cooktop, I partially open the window and put the fantastic fan on full power blowing into the vehicle. The trick is, you must close everything else in the van including putting the cab air on recirculation. If you liked this idea and didn’t have a window you could cut a vent above the cooking surface and put a shroud over it. For me, having the window, all goes out the window with no vent conduit to clean. Fresh air blowing in creates a positive air pressure rather than extraction creating a negative. Less chance of toilet or tank odours, propane or exhaust gases being sucked into living space.
Redfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:19 PM   #35
Platinum Member

That's a great sounding solution! Sadly, my fan rotates in only one direction, which exhausts air up and out.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 10:28 PM   #36
Bronze Member

Sorry about the sideways photos. ��
Old 09-29-2020, 01:58 AM   #37
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsprinterguy View Post
That's a great sounding solution! Sadly, my fan rotates in only one direction, which exhausts air up and out.
Same here - I could always upgrade the fan ...
Old 09-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
I refuse to use a Microwave, I replaced the space as an extra Cabinet on Day One.
Why, pray tell, do you refuse to use a microwave oven? For quick reheating of leftovers and cooking potatoes for the dog, I can't think of anything better.

My only problem with the Danby microwave that came with my van was that it had to have its clock set after every power cycle or it wouldn't work. I replaced it with a same-size Samsung that doesn't need to know the time.
rvsprinterguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:59 PM   #39
Platinum Member

I never reheat Food.

Is the short & long answer.

But if GallenH was cooking for me or some of the Other Chefs here, I might change my opinion about Microwaves & even restart drinking Alcohol, namely his Margaritas ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200929_135817.jpg (131.9 KB, 2 views)