Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #201
Platinum Member

Looks like that photo was taken from quite a distance away. Hard to tell, but could easily be that social distancing is being observed.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:25 PM   #202
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Looks like that photo was taken from quite a distance away. Hard to tell, but could easily be that social distancing is being observed.

rowiebowie you post, I read, so I had to go back and take a look.

"six foot wide path"
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 03:35 PM   #203
Site Team

If I may return to the point I was trying to make early in this thread:
I think it is a huge mistake to prohibit ANY recreational activity that is objectively safe. As I predicted, prohibiting Sunday drives, closing state park campgrounds, and, yes, even beaches simply forces people into the few remaining options, thus creating needless crowding. That is what we are seeing in DavyDD's picture. Close the showers, strictly enforce social distancing, discourage long-distance travel, enforce ANY restrictions that are actually constructive, but we should be actively seeking things that are safe to allow, not applying pointless restrictions that have no rational basis. Recreation is an essential activity over the long haul. This needs to be recognized. Yes, close the National Monuments, but not the campgrounds and backcountry hiking trails.

New York State (and some others) have kept their State Parks open throughout the crisis, because they are smart and recognize the need. Pennsylvania ticketed at least one young woman for going for a recreational drive (alone in her car). This is stupid.

We can't afford "feel good" restrictions. There are too many necessary ones. I say, if you can find a safe and legal nearby campground, go for it.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 04:59 PM   #204
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud View Post
rowiebowie you post, I read, so I had to go back and take a look.

"six foot wide path"
And many people are walking several feet off the path as they pass others. I'm just saying the picture is not necessarily a good reprentation of whether social distancing is being practiced because it is just taken from too far away.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:15 PM   #205
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
If I may return to the point I was trying to make early in this thread:
I think it is a huge mistake to prohibit ANY recreational activity that is objectively safe. As I predicted, prohibiting Sunday drives, closing state park campgrounds, and, yes, even beaches simply forces people into the few remaining options, thus creating needless crowding. That is what we are seeing in DavyDD's picture. Close the showers, strictly enforce social distancing, discourage long-distance travel, enforce ANY restrictions that are actually constructive, but we should be actively seeking things that are safe to allow, not applying pointless restrictions that have no rational basis. Recreation is an essential activity over the long haul. This needs to be recognized. Yes, close the National Monuments, but not the campgrounds and backcountry hiking trails.

New York State (and some others) have kept their State Parks open throughout the crisis, because they are smart and recognize the need. Pennsylvania ticketed at least one young woman for going for a recreational drive (alone in her car). This is stupid.

We can't afford "feel good" restrictions. There are too many necessary ones. I say, if you can find a safe and legal nearby campground, go for it.

This is a really tough one for me to decide one way or the other, I think. What we saw yesterday was a prime example of what you are saying as whatever was open was loaded up with people.

On the other hand, I keep hearing more and more from people stating the "if this is OK, this should be also", but for inherently more hazardous things so I think they just want to be able to do whatever they want to do. Same kind of statements about different states allowing more. I fear it would turn into wholesale ignoring of all the recommendations even from moderate and likely safe loosening. The masses are very hard to read, and are getting might impatient.

The state parks in Minnesota have had some issues with overcrowding issues, it appears, but are still open for some things, but not any camping. Most parks were apparently fine, but there are some here that attract the most people even in normal times, so they got very full.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 06:29 PM   #206
Platinum Member

Quote:
And many people are walking several feet off the path as they pass others. I'm just saying the picture is not necessarily a good reprentation of whether social distancing is being practiced because it is just taken from too far away.
Traffic is two way on a 6 foot path and a three mile loop to return to where you start. Some stay off the path but most do not. Staying 6 feet away from others walking in the same direction is easy but you have constant oncoming traffic less than 6 feet away. Maybe this picture is long distance thus photo shortening but how many oncomers do you think you will encounter?

They say now you can be exposed from breath up to 32 feet away. If people stayed 32 feet away on same direction traffic they would still encounter about 500 people directly breathing on them as near as 4 feet away if all were just single walkers and not in pairs that make it more. Compound that with many asymptomatic young people running and exhaling heavily coming and going. For most of us retired RVers that is not good odds.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:30 PM   #207
Platinum Member

Just curious, and maybe I should do a poll (but not sure how). What percentage of the general public do you think "gets it" regarding the Covid virus? By "gets it" I mean, they understand that social distancing applies to them. That wearing masks applies to them.

Here are some interesting observations of mine. 3 weeks ago at Walmart I observed less than 20% of workers and shoppers wearing masks (don't ask me why I went to Walmart). I complained via Walmart website about the employees. 2 weeks later they instituted mandatory masks (you can thank me for that) Last week I went to another Walmart in a little higher end part of town, and guess what, still only 20% of shoppers wearing masks (employees 100%). I walked right out (I did have mask on both times and wear anytime in public). Talking to a friend, he was aware of 2 stores requiring customers whear mask: Boston Market was one. WOuld be nice if all stores required this, but don't know if they legally can.

Also, 3 weeks ago I went to OReilly auto parts; had my mask on. No one, staff or customers, had a mask on. I need to hit Autozone sometime so I can get another data point. I would guess very few wearing masks there.

So again, what % of the general public do you think gets it, as far as precautionary measures applying to them? I say 25% in my area; Southeast Virginia.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:47 PM   #208
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteco View Post
Just curious, and maybe I should do a poll (but not sure how). What percentage of the general public do you think "gets it" regarding the Covid virus? By "gets it" I mean, they understand that social distancing applies to them. That wearing masks applies to them.

Here are some interesting observations of mine. 3 weeks ago at Walmart I observed less than 20% of workers and shoppers wearing masks (don't ask me why I went to Walmart). I complained via Walmart website about the employees. 2 weeks later they instituted mandatory masks (you can thank me for that) Last week I went to another Walmart in a little higher end part of town, and guess what, still only 20% of shoppers wearing masks (employees 100%). I walked right out (I did have mask on both times and wear anytime in public). Talking to a friend, he was aware of 2 stores requiring customers whear mask: Boston Market was one. WOuld be nice if all stores required this, but don't know if they legally can.

Also, 3 weeks ago I went to OReilly auto parts; had my mask on. No one, staff or customers, had a mask on. I need to hit Autozone sometime so I can get another data point. I would guess very few wearing masks there.

So again, what % of the general public do you think gets it, as far as precautionary measures applying to them? I say 25% in my area; Southeast Virginia.

Less than 20% around here in the stores and such, and under 10% in public areas or defacto get togethers wherever they are. I even got shade from a guy in a store about being a "bandito" because I had a bandana mast on. Of course, he was buying beer
Old 04-27-2020, 09:15 PM   #209
Platinum Member

Only a few weeks ago the "experts" were saying if we had no symptoms, there was no value in wearing a mask. I, for one, knew better. But realize it's only a recent recomendation (and a complete reversal or prior guidelines) that everyone should wear a mask.

I'm the cautious type, 65+ years old, with a chronic breathing condition that puts me in Covid-19's bullseye of death. I isolate to the extreme and take all precautions including social distancing and wearing a mask. But the difference between walking an aisle at Walmart (allowed) and visiting parks and beaches (until recently not allowed), makes me choose the outdoors for the needed exercise I do get during my daily walks. And when they came out with the 26ft. recommendation due to coughs and sneezing, I try for 27 feet.
Old 04-27-2020, 09:44 PM   #210
Platinum Member

Quote:
Only a few weeks ago the "experts" were saying if we had no symptoms, there was no value in wearing a mask. I, for one, knew better. But realize it's only a recent recomendation (and a complete reversal or prior guidelines) that everyone should wear a mask.

I'm the cautious type, 65+ years old, with a chronic breathing condition that puts me in Covid-19's bullseye of death. I isolate to the extreme and take all precautions including social distancing and wearing a mask. But the difference between walking an aisle at Walmart (allowed) and visiting parks and beaches (until recently not allowed), makes me choose the outdoors for the needed exercise I do get during my daily walks. And when they came out with the 26ft. recommendation due to coughs and sneezing, I try for 27 feet.

I think it all depends on if the stores take all this seriously or are just pretending to look like they do. Really concerned retailers do it right. Limit customers in the store at any given time, enforce good practices for employees and customers, one way aisles, improved ventilation, better hygiene, and what ever else. Those that are just trying to look good are barely better than not trying at all, IMO.

The Walmart by us leaves it up to the customer to wipe down their cart when they go in, instead of making sure all the carts are cleaned well every time.
Old 04-27-2020, 10:26 PM   #211
Platinum Member

Going to a Walmart is a need. Walking in a park is a want. Other than the "invincible" youth I doubt anyone has deliberately flaunted the recommendations other than the Darwin prone. However, you do have to take calculated risk to survive. Very few people are capable of growing their own food.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #212
Platinum Member

We were refueling our Sprinter in the local Costco; my wife was inserting cards and PIN and I dealt with the nozzle. Out of a few gas attendants only one wore a mask. An attendant using a mask to protect his neck tried to approach my wife much closer than 6’ so she used her hand sign to try to stop him. He repeated a few times, ma'am, you be fine, you be fine, finely my wife steeped back to keep the distance. Upon returning home I called Costco and talked to the store manager, apparently masks are not mandatory but 6’ separation is.

Yesterday we had grocery delivered at out door step from the same Costco, delivery man used gloves and mask. I don't know if it was mandatory or not but I increased his delivery tip.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 11:51 PM   #213
Platinum Member

I gassed up at Costco before I left for MN. The one in AZ had an attendant going around sanitizing the card reader and the pump after each person. I don't know how many were doing this or if I just timed it right.

Gas station in Holbrook was pretty busy, but most were wearing masks and gloves. I did not that it was the women...not the men... at this station. There was no one parked near me.

This evening I pulled into a little campground in Grants NM and registered from my van over the phone... I chose a small end space that few other rigs will fit in... and it is quite a ways to the space on my other side...more than 6 feet. I feel totally quarantined!!
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:04 AM   #214
Platinum Member

Tough times. We'd like to get out of Phoenix, especially now since we've passed 100 degrees. But we're just sitting here watching. We did get the RV out of storage yesterday. It had some food in it that we had to remove. We had left it in since we had reservations at Phantom Ranch at the bottom of the Grand Canyon for March 29. Cancelled. Need to do a few mods. Then it goes back to storage.

I shouldn't say tough times. Many of us are in retirement. No worry about losing our jobs or where the next $$ is coming from. Instacart now gives you the option to "just leave the delivery at doorstep." You don't have to sign for alcohol anymore but you do have to show ID. I left my driver's license on the doorstep and texted the deliverer that it would be there. She scanned and left. Tip in envelope at door.

Everything delivered gets disinfected and remains in quarantine for at least 3 days. I've got a small dorm fridge in garage dedicated to that. Note, that refrigeration supposedly allows the virus to live. We disinfect again and wash down after removing. Paranoid? Maybe. But that's ok. Still kicking.

Stay safe.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 04:16 AM   #215
Platinum Member

We place none perishable stuff in the garage for 2-3 days quarantine and everything else is transferred to the kitchen countertop and the sink, thorough wash with soap and hot water if possible, if not we use concentrated isopropyl alcohol. After cleaning the sink and the countertop gets full disinfection with concentrated isopropyl alcohol.

Yesterday Costco delivery fellow asked if we want toilet paper, certainly, can’t wait through the quarantine time, it is The Charmin.

Perhaps we are a little paranoid, but just a few more weeks and we hope to go camping, no Europe this year.

GM restarted some factories and are trying to be safe with an ingenious simple gadget, it is a Samsung watch like looking device beeping if the distance to another watch is less than 6 feet.

Stay safe.
Old 04-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #216
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
GM restarted some factories and are trying to be safe with an ingenious simple gadget, it is a Samsung watch like looking device beeping if the distance to another watch is less than 6 feet. Stay safe.

That is kind of slick.

Probably work better if was built in to a a dog training shock collar, though.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:02 PM   #217
Platinum Member

Another succinct info about COVID-19 vaccines.

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Health/Wh..._&WT.tsrc=BGEM
Old 04-30-2020, 06:18 PM   #218
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
That this can come on suddenly is also a factor. To suddenly become severely ill while in a campervan camped in a campground several days drive from home could end up being an unfun experience. You are in a hospital miles from home, your travel partner can't visit you, but cannot leave the area either.
Or, if you do leave, it could be in a box.

Stay home! We are.
Old 05-28-2020, 07:18 PM   #219
Platinum Member

I no longer have a subscription to the WSJ, but if others do, what was the substance of their May 16th article " RV Vacations: The Safest Way to Travel This Summer" https://www.wsj.com/articles/rv-vaca...er-11589601600.

Thanks,
Pat
MobileCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #220
Platinum Member

I skimmed it, it was very "lightweight" on info, a surface view from the outside

it says social distance

& RV's don;t require public restrooms

etc.

we had to do a run from Phoenix to Kalispell & rtn and stayed away from people.

some localities are better for cleaning and masks and others are not

every stop is a judgement call

most costcos are wiping down the pumps, I put a bag over my hand
costcos require masks

I can;t think of a rv park I've ever been to that I would visit during this crisis

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote