Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2020, 03:41 AM   #41
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
“Anti-inflammatories may aggravate Covid-19, France advises”, this recommendation differs from US recommendation.
The same time as I read this, I read another that suggested treating with Prednisone from another reputable source... which I just tried to locate again, but just too many articles out there right now. Of course the key word there is "may." I feel like the medical profession is in 'guess' mode... and will be for some time.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 04:14 AM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
The same time as I read this, I read another that suggested treating with Prednisone from another reputable source... which I just tried to locate again, but just too many articles out there right now. Of course the key word there is "may." I feel like the medical profession is in 'guess' mode... and will be for some time.
Perhaps any mediation which reduces inflammation by lowering body immune potential to fight the virus wouldn’t be good. I agree, guessing game driven by fear.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:12 AM   #43
Platinum Member

I understand. We were set to meet relatives in their RV and cruise northern AZ for a while. But they're remaining put. We're hunkered down for a while, watching what develops in the next weeks. My daughter works at Mayo in MN and is ordering food delivery; bleaching the delivery. My son is in England and both he and his wife are now working from home, minimizing any ventures out. Paranoid? Maybe. But like I said everyone is watching; waiting. Doesn't really hurt except to hamper plans. I've gotten several quarantine packages from Total Wine. Local food store delivering tequila on Thursday. Curiously...they're not delivering tp or alcohol (isoprophyl). Out of stock.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 10:46 AM   #44
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
All of my fellow posters. Now is the time to hunker down where you are and reduce the possible spread of the virus. It is the only thing to do as a responsible citizen of the world. We need to stop the exponential spread of this now to limit the potentially giant impact of this.
Absolutely agree with that.

I'll add that any activity that has the potential to add to the load on the medical system needs to be curtailed. Non-essential travel falls into that category.

The sooner folks get onboard with that then the sooner things get back to normal.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:10 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Just adding a link from the US government:

15 Days to Slow the Spread (dated Mar 16)

https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-conten...5x11_315PM.pdf

Quote:
Avoid discretionary travel, shopping trips, and social visits.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:30 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit
All of my fellow posters. Now is the time to hunker down where you are and reduce the possible spread of the virus. It is the only thing to do as a responsible citizen of the world. We need to stop the exponential spread of this now to limit the potentially giant impact of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
Absolutely agree with that.

I'll add that any activity that has the potential to add to the load on the medical system needs to be curtailed. Non-essential travel falls into that category.

The sooner folks get onboard with that then the sooner things get back to normal.

I completely agree. What is a bit scary is how many times I have people telling me that this or that function is perfectly fine to go to for various reasons that are not valid, like because they are family or I know they are all healthy, etc. And of course then there are those that are also saying to just live your life because all you will get is no worse than a cold

We all need to get with the program so the essential workers can try to keep the country running until this gets under control or runs out, particularly those of us that are in the high risk age bracket that would overload the heath care capacity.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:53 PM   #47
Platinum Member

The one bright spot in this is all the hoarding toilet paper news, solutions, photos, jokes, memes, especially on Facebook, are bringing a smile and laugh to me daily.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:18 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
What is a bit scary is how many times I have people telling me that this or that function is perfectly fine to go to for various reasons that are not valid, like because they are family or I know they are all healthy, etc. And of course then there are those that are also saying to just live your life because all you will get is no worse than a cold
Again, I totally agree with the sentiment. But just because there are many invalid arguments floating around, it does not follow that all such arguments are invalid. It is neither patriotic nor wise to ask people to do difficult things that have no point. You will just lose their cooperation. Similarly, the less unpleasant you make people's lives (while meeting the needs of the situation), the longer they will be willing and able to tolerate the restrictions.

By all accounts, taking a walk in a low-density park is perfectly fine and healthy. IMO, a solitary weekend at a low-density campground is, as well.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:36 PM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Again, I totally agree with the sentiment. But just because there are many invalid arguments floating around, it does not follow that all such arguments are invalid. It is neither patriotic nor wise to ask people to do difficult things that have no point. You will just lose their cooperation. Similarly, the less unpleasant you make people's lives (while meeting the needs of the situation), the longer they will be willing and able to tolerate the restrictions.

By all accounts, taking a walk in a low-density park is perfectly fine and healthy. IMO, a solitary weekend at a low-density campground is, as well.

I don't have any problem with the kind of things you are talking about as this is a person to person issue and if not with people, especially in large numbers and close quarters, the issue doesn't exist. Keeping sanity by being outside in the yard, going for a drive or bike ride, certainly don't look hazardous at all. My point is that there may be enough of the mentioned people that don't believe much limiting at all is needed to perpetuate the problem into an Italy type issue. I think the number is something like 30%, IIRC, but that was from a while ago before the last round of restrictions and recommendations were issued, so hopefully that has gone down.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:35 PM   #50
Platinum Member

I think most of use here are in the age where this is extremely serious while college kids can still romp on the beaches at South Padre Island where we were last month. Now at home, if we want to camp, then it would have to be long distance travel since most campgrounds here public and private will not open until April 1st at the earliest. New Mexico state park campgrounds are already closed and maybe many others are closing daily. So when we get there we may be out of luck. As I mentioned our previously planned ambitious May RV travel schedule is in jeopardy.

We do have over 40 miles of public bike/hiking trails of all kinds directly accessible from our backyard. However, the Carver regional park campground 2 miles away on a paved bike path is closed and the Minnesota Landscape Arboretum a half mile away with several wooded walks is closed and gated up tight for the duration. Where am I going to walk to? My guaranteed incentive walk to my fitness center and adjacent brewery tap room a half mile away down the bike path are closed. It's not so simple.
Old 03-17-2020, 02:57 PM   #51
Site Team

Governor Cuomo was just on TV. He recommended that people consider visiting NY state parks to avoid their families becoming stir crazy.

At least where I live, there are plenty of beautiful and safe places to camp within a two-hour drive. As far as I can see, the more people who take advantage of them, the better. I certainly intend to. I think the NM closure is ill-advised. As someone said above, they should lock the showers and other group facilities. Beyond that, putting out the welcome mat would be beneficial, not harmful, I believe.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:03 PM   #52
Platinum Member

Our rules for the road: No restaurants. No public showers. Blue glove for fueling. We are stocked to the gills with food. Coming from a small isolated home town, we are highly unlikely to be spreading anything. We are headed toward an isolated area of the CA desert for MrNomer to do some geology fieldwork, then we will head straight home. Our biggest concern is that we did not stock up on food at home. Hopefully, by the time we get back, food shortages will have eased. We have plenty of TP.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:43 PM   #53
Platinum Member

Several weeks ago my wife and I began to adjust our lifestyle in an effort to conform to what were at that time, suggestions, on why it was necessary to limit our exposure to others, to help constrict the propagation of this new and not yet fully known entity. Now, what were suggestions have suddenly become mandates.

It has been surprising to me how many folks have to be forcibly throttled-back, to create compliance and conformance during this severely uncertain time. One early post within this thread had me shaking my head in disbelief. I/me statements of intent to charge ahead without regard for them, is a self-serving case of looking only at the tree and not the forest.
Old 03-17-2020, 03:45 PM   #54
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Governor Cuomo was just on TV. He recommended that people consider visiting NY state parks to avoid their families becoming stir crazy.

At least where I live, there are plenty of beautiful and safe places to camp within a two-hour drive. As far as I can see, the more people who take advantage of them, the better. I certainly intend to. I think the NM closure is ill-advised. As someone said above, they should lock the showers and other group facilities. Beyond that, putting out the welcome mat would be beneficial, not harmful, I believe.
New Mexico closings ill advised or not is reality and maybe the head of the curve because if it gets worse it will get more common. They are protecting their employees I am sure as to the motivation. Texas state parks are taking similar precautions to protect their employees at the expense of inconveniencing campers. Such as printing out you own reservations so as to not have contact with employees or entering their office gate. How do you print while on the road? The Ohio turnpike is closing down restaurant seating and offer take out service only. Just got that notification. Just more traveling inconvenience.

I see woods, deer and wild turkeys from our windows and go to bed with a coyote serenade most nights. I don't have to really go anywhere.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:11 PM   #55
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
New Mexico closings ill advised or not is reality and maybe the head of the curve because if it gets worse it will get more common. They are protecting their employees I am sure as to the motivation. Texas state parks are taking similar precautions to protect their employees at the expense of inconveniencing campers. Such as printing out you own reservations so as to not have contact with employees or entering their office gate.
Texas: Smart
N.M.: Not so much.
Quote:

How do you print while on the road?
You don't have a printer in your van? I'm surprised.

At any rate, a simpler solution would be to simply stop collecting fees for the duration. Better than closing. Staff should be reduced to security personnel only.
Quote:

The Ohio turnpike is closing down restaurant seating and offer take out service only. Just got that notification. Just more traveling inconvenience.
I think we are all in agreement that restaurants and tourist sites are off the table, sadly.
Quote:
I see woods, deer and wild turkeys from our windows and go to bed with a coyote serenade most nights. I don't have to really go anywhere.
Enjoy.
Old 03-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #56
Platinum Member

At this point there is a mass migration of the Canadian snowbirds running for the border. Their insurance companies have informed people that if they don't get home in X number of days their policies will not cover treatment for the virus. They have also been informed that they will be in a 14 day self quarantine once they arrive. Most would have been here until the end of the month. A few Americans are also heading out early.

The RV park has shut down all activities for the season... locked all the doors to the various craft rooms and such. Outside activities only are open, but all organized competitions are done. Today there is an informal, organized by the residents, St Patrick's Day parade. Outside with no hugging allowed. They already sold all the green beer for $0.25 a cup at our onsite cafe over the weekend when they knew that all would be closing on Monday.

But the nice warm Arizona sun is still out, so I can still continue my daily walks... and conversations at a proper distance, of course... petting the various dogs out for their walk. I'm hoping that they will reopen the gym for when it gets really hot in a month or so. I'm not heading north until the last snowflake has melted... in May.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 05:33 PM   #57
Platinum Member

It is always 65* and bright in my home workshop/garage, so the penalties of sticking around home are really tiny for me personally. They will be much harder on DW as she likes her geezer bowling group and family stuff all the time. We will likely take turns shopping but go at odd hours to reduce contact and maintain distance.
Old 03-17-2020, 05:39 PM   #58
Platinum Member

I guess the official response from the feds in the latest news conference today about traveling is directly from President Trump.

"Enjoy your living room."

In a way it is kind of like firewood. No one wants you to transport firewood from another area because of transmitting fungus and beetles.
Old 03-17-2020, 07:12 PM   #59
Platinum Member

Oklahoma parks have a new system perfectly suited for this crisis. You can reserve online on the spot. No personal interaction with anyone required. All sites must be reserved online, so you know which are available. Nothing to print.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 07:51 PM   #60
Platinum Member

The last campground we stayed at earlier this month was Black Mesa State Park in Oklahoma in the west most corner of the panhandle. There was no cell phone service for over 20 miles from there driving through open range cattle grazing land and stopping a couple of times for cattle crossing. We were the only campers in the 29 site RV campground and didn't have wifi until we got there because we called ahead and they left the office wifi on for us which was strong enough to reach the adjacent campsites. It was a nice campground but 15 miles from the actual Black Mesa.