Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2020, 06:24 AM   #81
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUTCH in Atlanta View Post
And Canada and the US just closed the border to all but necessary traffic.
Canadians can get in and Americans can get out, so that works... and, of course, goods will pass freely. By the end of this week, I expect that all of the Canadians will be out of AZ and getting close to home.

Today Mesa, AZ informed all their many RV Parks/Resorts to close their pools and showers.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #82
Platinum Member

People will be able to go home cheaply. Fuel will be at an all-time low with the Saudi/Russia oil feud and low demand doing a double-whammy on prices, fast food take out and in RV cooking will be cheaper with lack of having a more expensive restaurant meal, and not many temptations open to spend your money with gift shops closing.

Traveling north will be more boring with nothing open and social distancing. Also, you will have to logistically plan better using your RV facilities more because more public facilities will be closed and many campgrounds will not be open yet. Off-grid stops may be fewer. Cracker Barrels will be closed. Harvest Host sites might not be open and possibly Walmart's shorter hours may change their policies in overnight stays. Then it is still cold in March.

We headed home from the southwest to Minnesota about 2 weeks earlier than planned before the general lockdown without encountering some of the restrictions I've cited. Morry's offer in Home away Home will help and Boondocker's Welcome organization can help. When we go south in the dead of winter we rely on RV friend's driveways we made to get south as it takes a few days to get where we are going. But it is more enjoyable without social distancing.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #83
Platinum Member

Irony: there are at least 3 cases in our small town in the middle of nowhere, so we are headed toward it, not away.

How can that be? Corona is in the rear view mirror.

Build Site: msnomersvan.wordpress.com
Travel Site: woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com
MsNomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 01:53 AM   #84
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsNomer View Post
Irony: there are at least 3 cases in our small town in the middle of nowhere, so we are headed toward it, not away.

How can that be? Corona is in the rear view mirror.

Funny sign that a month ago would have meant nothing. But not funny about your town. Perhaps stock up on supplies just before you get home.

Be safe.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:44 PM   #85
Platinum Member

Home now. Stopped in three small towns not knowingly affected yet. Found all the food we needed.

Found out that our town's first ICU patient is a guy I used to work closely with. Nice guy.

Old 03-21-2020, 12:29 AM   #86
Platinum Member

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...F9EE40675A0096

Old 03-21-2020, 06:52 PM   #87
Platinum Member

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

We need an immediate five-week national lockdown to defeat coronavirus in America

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...mn/2890376001/
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 08:47 PM   #88
Platinum Member

Here's a relevant article for those considering finding refuge on public lands. High Country News is know for balanced, well-researched treatment of public land management issues. From a retired US Forest Service Public Info Officer. My Forest Service/Park Service/BLM/ State Parks colleagues are struggling with these decisions.

https://www.hcn.org/articles/covid19...n-public-lands
Old 03-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #89
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCamperVan View Post
Here's a relevant article for those considering finding refuge on public lands. High Country News is know for balanced, well-researched treatment of public land management issues. From a retired US Forest Service Public Info Officer. My Forest Service/Park Service/BLM/ State Parks colleagues are struggling with these decisions.

There is a BIG difference between driving 400 miles to join the mob at Moab and driving 40 miles to stay at a dispersed campsite in your nearest national forest.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 09:05 PM   #90
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZCamperVan View Post

Unintended consequences at work. Yes get outside is good for you but it doesn't have to be concentrated in Moab and Arches. There was one plea in Minnesota with a map of coronavirus cases and a line drawn east to west in the middle of the state with all counties reporting coronavirus south and a plea to not come north of that line. North is all the wooded areas and lakes people think they will drive to get away.
Old 03-21-2020, 09:14 PM   #91
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
Yes get outside is good for you but it doesn't have to be concentrated in Moab and Arches.
Yes, exactly.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 02:42 PM   #92
Platinum Member

That plea I mentioned about northern Minnesota with a drawn line in Stearns County, (St. Cloud) welp that's by the wayside. There are now coronavirus cases north of that line. The Minneapolis StarTribune Newspaper had a front page article again with pleas to not come north and stay sheltered in place, yet their Sunday Travel section featured three places to get away from the virus. Interesting, one place was Minnesota's North Shore. I don't think the editors coordinated.

I think most earlier cases were related to travelers mainly overseas but new cases are local contact.
Old 03-23-2020, 02:44 AM   #93
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe

From Maryland and have been in Florida since February 1. Was leaving mid March but have batter charging problems. Had repairman out and he said it's the battery isolator. Waiting to get fixed and might be home by April 1 or so. Canadians left few days ago because canada closing border. Really empty here now.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:38 AM   #94
Platinum Member

This was sent to me by a friend. Very timely!

A COVID-19 Virus Prayer

"May we, who are merely inconvenienced, remember those whose lives are at stake.
May we, who have no risk factors, remember those most vulnerable.
May we, who have the luxury of working from home,
remember those who must choose between preserving their health or making their rent.
May we, who have the flexibility to care for our children when schools close, remember those who have no options.
May we, who have to cancel our trips, remember those who have no place to go.
May we, who are losing our marginal income in the tumult of the economic market, remember those who have no margins at all.
May we, who settle in for a quarantine at home, remember those who have no home.
During this time, when we cannot physically wrap our arms around each other,
Let us yet find ways to be the loving embrace of god to our neighbors.
Amen"
Old 03-23-2020, 11:54 AM   #95
Platinum Member

Quote:

A COVID-19 Virus Prayer

"May we, who are merely inconvenienced, remember those whose lives are at stake.
May we, who have no risk factors, remember those most vulnerable.
May we, who have the luxury of working from home,
remember those who must choose between preserving their health or making their rent.
May we, who have the flexibility to care for our children when schools close, remember those who have no options.
May we, who have to cancel our trips, remember those who have no place to go.
May we, who are losing our marginal income in the tumult of the economic market, remember those who have no margins at all.
May we, who settle in for a quarantine at home, remember those who have no home.
During this time, when we cannot physically wrap our arms around each other,
Let us yet find ways to be the loving embrace of god to our neighbors.
Amen"
Amen (so be it)
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 01:27 PM   #96
Platinum Member

The State's strategies for handling this varies a lot, and probably will change as this progresses. Interesting to see the different reactions by the State Gov'ts in regard to the utility of keeping the parks open or closed:

Florida: "At the direction of Governor DeSantis and to successfully uphold CDC guidance to maximize social distancing and avoid gatherings larger than 10 people, DEP will close all Florida State Parks to the public effective Monday, March 23. "

Wisconsin: "All campgrounds are closed through April 30, 2020"

North Carolina: "All campgrounds and bathhouses are currently closed until further notice."

Oregon: "we have made the difficult decision to close the entire state park system by March 23. The last night any camper can stay is March 22."

On the other hand:

Arkansas: "Campgrounds within our parks remain open. "

Minnesota: "State parks, recreation areas, campgrounds, and other public lands remain open to the public"

Virginia: "Overnight facilities and outdoor spaces remain open and a great alternative for social distancing in a natural environment."
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:49 PM   #97
Platinum Member

My positive interpretation of the difference in state choice to stay open or closed is that... it isn't political. There are red states and blue states on both sides. Takes away that part of the debate on which choice is better.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 03:52 PM   #98
Platinum Member

Quote:

A COVID-19 Virus Prayer
Very appropriate Dutch. Always someone worse off than ourselves. Yet people (me included) have a tendency to complain.

I learned a lesson from my Father many years ago, when I took him to M.D. Anderson Cancer Hospital. It was our final visit when they told him there was nothing more they could do for him. Devastating news even for someone in their 80's.

While leaving, we barely spoke as we passed many young kids in the hallways. Many had lost their hair to cancer treatements and some had big scars across their heads. Finally, my Dad said "Look at all those poor kids. They've never even gotten to have a life."

There is always a need to put our problems in perspective.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 05:30 PM   #99
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post
My positive interpretation of the difference in state choice to stay open or closed is that... it isn't political. There are red states and blue states on both sides. Takes away that part of the debate on which choice is better.
I don't think it is political either. The virus is not equally distributed in the states so human nature is hopeful and to not overreact. The blue states are more populated. The red states are not, so social distancing can be easier in achieving for now. And it is all developing yet with no consensus of how or when.

The initial thought is you can get away outdoors and be relatively safe but then the unintended consequences of people congregating in the desired parks created crowded conditions (the Moab example). Also, traveling alone gives one false belief you are not interacting with people. People in place in remote areas may resent outsiders intruding. You are going to have to use fuel pump handles, credit cards, probably toilet rooms, door handles, etc. There will be those with medical emergencies. Few people can act like hermits.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:13 PM   #100

“Campgrounds, trails and cabins are open at Arizona State Parks and Trails! We are committed to providing a safe and healthy experience for our visitors and have campsites, cabins, and hiking trails open at state parks across Arizona. We are monitoring the situation around COVID-19 and the impact of coronavirus for our state.”
Fuschiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote