Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2020, 06:07 AM   #21
Platinum Member

You don't need the mask unless you are sick, but most of us RVers already have a good supply of the gloves.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #22
jon
Platinum Member

The masks would be so we don't spread the love. We're coming from the the US COVID-19 epicenter. We live within five miles of evergreen hospital. We feel fine but we could be infected.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 02:01 PM   #23
Platinum Member

The mask thing is confusing and made more so by a lot of the recommendations without explanations.

What I think I get from the actual details of it all are not what you hear in the snippets.

Surgical masks don't seal well and are designed to catch breathing out contamination like sneezes or coughs, but incoming air goes around the mask. This is where the statements about masks not being able to protect you from getting the virus come from, I think.

Tighter fitting masks of respirator sealing quality, and respirators themselves, seal completely so an N95 or better one will protect you from incoming virus and probably be of use for prevention per the experts. Most respirators, however, are valved to allow exhale air out with no restriction, so will do almost nothing to protect others from you if you are the infected one. Tight sealing masks that masks that filter both ways with no exhale bypass can be very tiring to use, especially if you have any lung issues.

Early on they said that the virus was coming in from touching your eyes, nose, mouth, etc with dirty hands so all the hand washing came in as with almost any illness prevention. We don't hear about that kind of transmission as much anymore and all of the chatter is about airborn that needs to get to the lungs to be of serious issue. If this is really the case, the masks look better because they protect the lungs. If it is really coming in through your eyes, then only a full face respirator would do any good, or sealed goggles that don't work because they fog up right away.

I doubt we will really know what is going on until the whole thing is over with and the data evaluated, but it is too late by then for those at risk now.

The one thing that I have not been able to find is what percent of the older than 60 group get the minor symptom illness. All we hear is high risk of severe complication for older people, especially those with lung issues or other impairments. Is everyone over 60 going to get the breathing issues that put you at higher risk of dying even if you have no lung and only minor other issues? I don't think anyone has ever addressed that in the stuff I have read. All we get is the 10-15% fatality rate for over 80 years old (in China) and nothing about how ill the other 85-90) got compared to the younger groups.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:00 PM   #24
Platinum Member

I hope it never comes to me having to wear a mask, but even a cheap, "ineffective" mask would do one thing. And that is to remind me to quit touching my face.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:35 PM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
I hope it never comes to me having to wear a mask, but even a cheap, "ineffective" mask would do one thing. And that is to remind me to quit touching my face.
The evidence suggests exactly the opposite. The mask causes you to touch your face all the more often to adjust it.

Funny how my face itches every time I think about how I’m not supposed to be touching it...
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 04:14 PM   #26
jon
Platinum Member

When I was referring to a mask I was referring to the cheap disposable kind that hospitals give out. It's just to keep "me" from spurting possibly contaminated water droplets everywhere.
If every infected person wore a mask and didn't touch everything the non infected people wouldn't have to worry about catching the plague. I think. It's not that complicated.
Since I come from the area of the highest concentration of cases it would be prudent for me to wear a mask.
Old 03-14-2020, 05:04 PM   #27
Bud
Platinum Member

Louisiana State Parks are open except one to be use for you guessed it. A popular Park in the New Orleans area, Bayou Segnette State Park.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Think of this period of time as if it's Christmas on steroids. What happens right before Christmas? Burglaries rise by about a thousand percent.

This economic shock is going to result in more unplanned lost wages than anyone can count. And what happens when income is lost? Some people will turn to desperate measures. Especially if they think that they might need money for medical reasons on top of everything else.

Even if social order is generally maintained, as I expect it will be, we might see a crime uptick. I'm hesitant to leave my primary investment (house) unattended as a result. Things are fine right now, but the landscape might look differently in a couple of weeks.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 08:13 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
The one thing that I have not been able to find is what percent of the older than 60 group get the minor symptom illness. All we hear is high risk of severe complication for older people, especially those with lung issues or other impairments. Is everyone over 60 going to get the breathing issues that put you at higher risk of dying even if you have no lung and only minor other issues? I don't think anyone has ever addressed that in the stuff I have read. All we get is the 10-15% fatality rate for over 80 years old (in China) and nothing about how ill the other 85-90) got compared to the younger groups.
As it was explained on one interview with doctors on TV as we get older our immune systems are not as strong and we can't recover as easily or quickly. We are just not as elastic. Does anyone recover from sore muscles after exercising as they did in younger years? I think older people develop more underlying conditions as well. As was explained to me after getting a pacemaker, my ejection fraction or percent of blood from the heart was reduced for each beat because of the pacemaker. I didn't know that beforehand but probably didn't have much choice anyway. I did notice a drop in endurance especially at higher altitudes to inquire.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #30
Platinum Member

I just found that Campendium is keeping a list of closed parks:

https://www.campendium.com/camping/c...2Q1JSfQYf_vbMY
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:32 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

Excellent info. Thanks.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:36 PM   #32
jon
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumkin View Post

THANKS. This is great.
Old 03-15-2020, 04:37 PM   #33
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon View Post
Since I come from the area of the highest concentration of cases it would be prudent for me to wear a mask.
You do nobody any favor by leaving. You are a potential risk and should stay home. The mask is a fig-leaf ... you know you are a health hazard. Stay home.
Old 03-15-2020, 05:41 PM   #34
jon
Platinum Member

You're right..... DAMNIT
Old 03-15-2020, 10:48 PM   #35
Platinum Member

We're leaving tomorrow morning for a four night adventure to Apalachcola and Savannah. Boondocking less than 100 yards from the Gulf the first two nights at a secret location then parking lot docking in Savannah at the visitor center for two nights.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 12:36 AM   #36
Platinum Member

All of my fellow posters. Now is the time to hunker down where you are and reduce the possible spread of the virus. It is the only thing to do as a responsible citizen of the world. We need to stop the exponential spread of this now to limit the potentially giant impact of this.
Knit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:30 AM   #37
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knit View Post
All of my fellow posters. Now is the time to hunker down where you are and reduce the possible spread of the virus. It is the only thing to do as a responsible citizen of the world. We need to stop the exponential spread of this now to limit the potentially giant impact of this.
I certainly agree with the sentiment.

But, as I said in the first post of this thread, it seems to me that RVing (at least the kind that I do) has close to zero risk to ourselves or to others. I can travel to a BLM dispersed campsite, stay for several days, and travel home without ever coming within 50 feet of another human being. This is only slightly less true if the destination is a State Park or a COE campground.

We will have to change some habits, such as exploring local restaurants and sightseeing, but that is what the situation demands. I don't see where it demands staying home if you own a B-van.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:38 AM   #38
Bronze Member

Default Florida Public Beach Closures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
We're leaving tomorrow morning for a four night adventure to Apalachcola and Savannah. Boondocking less than 100 yards from the Gulf the first two nights at a secret location then parking lot docking in Savannah at the visitor center for two nights.
If you’re headed to the beaches, remember to do your homework,,,,,it was announced today that they are starting to close some of the public beaches in Florida. Reportedly, and anecdotally, Florida state camping parks are also slated to close soon.

Otherwise, happy trails to you!
GBail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 02:32 AM   #39
Platinum Member

The seventeenth annual Class B Rally in Virginia in May has been cancelled. That affects over 50 Class B travel plans. So maybe you are traveling alone, some state park camping has already closed down so it is not inconceivable other campgrounds both public (most likely) and private will close down. I've already said one of my pleasures in travel is trying the local food, pursuing my hobbies of craft breweries and pork tenderloin sandwiches. Hot dogs and s'mores over a campfire can get pretty old after a while. Without that interaction it could be quite boring. Harvest Host is out. Cracker Barrel is out. Even Walmart may curtail overnights in they are not open overnight. Parks may close down. Museums may close. It is not as simple to say RVers will be unaffected other than good practice of easy social distance.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:15 AM   #40
Platinum Member

Interesting bits and pieces from the world.

Second derivative study from China “Despite zigzags, an overall downward trend in F ′′ (x) was clearly revealed by the downward and progressively narrowing down band region. This trend strongly indicates that the epidemic could be brought under control soon with the current interventions in place.” https://ghrp.biomedcentral.com/artic...NPNeRAW-pQe3wo

“Anti-inflammatories may aggravate Covid-19, France advises”, this recommendation differs from US recommendation. https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...IKyUxpjSHgnUp0

“Cuban antiviral interferon Alfa 2 B, which has been used successfully against # COVID19 in China. According to reports from China, Alfa 2B contributed greatly to stopping the spread of the virus to a minimum.” https://www.eturbonews.com/567170/co...m-coronavirus/

“The scientists found an enzyme inhibitor which destroys the virus' proteins and hence destroys it. The study conducted by the team from Wroclaw could constitute a basis for the COVID-19 cure. The enzyme is unique and not found in people, meaning that the potential cure would not negatively affect the patient. "If we treat this enzyme as a lock, then we have acquired a key to it", said the scientist. He added that the enzyme was known, but there were millions of combinations of "keys".
"And we found one key that matches this enzyme," says the scientist.” https://polandin.com/47135135/polish...breakthrough-f
Added - interesting statement at the end - "We have not patented this. The publication preprint is available online"

Stay safe,
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote