Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2017, 02:45 PM   #41
Platinum Member

Such a dilemma, buying a nice RV. If the price range is in that 20-30k range like mine is you are looking at a lot of really old vehicles. If you want a top quality built B+ like a Coach House or Born Free you are looking at 25-30k for like a 2002. Thats a good value in terms of quality for the money in the RV world, since much lower quality used units like BT Cruisers sell in this same range somehow.

BUT, at the end of the day they are all using the same Ford chassis...mostly. And you are paying 30k for a 17-20 year old vehicle. Such a tough thing to swallow.

And if its a B Van you want, then your looking at even older units for that range. Makes you really think about doubling the budget and getting a used Travato. UGH!
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #42

Hi there. I am just getting started looking for a class B. Do you know where I can go on this site to help? This is daunting!🤢
Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 01:33 PM   #43
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
Hi there. I am just getting started looking for a class B. Do you know where I can go on this site to help? This is daunting!🤢
Look under the classifies.
Old 07-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #44
Bronze Member

I was surprised to see the prices of used class b's when we first started looking, but it seems all RV's are getting top dollar. I even have a local dealer that wants to buy my travel trailer for more than I expected to get.

We payed probably "too much" for our T1N sprinter B, but I am a diesel fan, and love the motor in this. I'll go with the dealer recommended oil changes, and enjoy.
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:41 PM   #45
Platinum Member

Quote:
First thing is to attend an RV show that is addended by all the MFG's, not the local dealer shows as they will have a very limited variety. Viewing them and spending some time in them will help you narrow down the layout/size you prefer.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #46
Platinum Member

Quote:
Two suggestions:

1. Surf [url]www.rvtrader.com and rvt.com to get a feeling for the class B market.

2. Find your way the RV exposition in Hershey PA Sept 13-17 where all the Bs will be displayed for you to check out. Bring your camera and take notes and ask the dealer reps any hard questions you may entertain.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 10:52 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Hi Melanie, welcome aboard. In my first search for a B, I read about the Brands available; then look for Forums on the different Brands. Check out the Manufacturer's Site, they usually have the layouts they are offering...they are not all the same! After a while, you will decided on the Sprinter Model, offered by the Brands, or the gas Model offered by some. Read the opinions offered on here by the many owners. Hit the RV Shows, that way you can see them up close and personal. Drive them, park them, check out the location of the water, sewage, generator, if equipped....get all the info you can - it makes you a more knowledgeable buyer. If you buy used, make sure it has the Manuals and the maintenance records (most B owners are meticulous in service/maintenance.) And, when you finally decided and buy.....have a great time, that B you chose is waiting to be your home - anywhere you go! Ron
Old 09-07-2018, 09:48 PM   #48
Bronze Member

Are NADA prices accurate? I keep seeing listings for way more than NADA and wonder if these people are getting what they are asking or are they in fantasy land. I just saw a 1997 roadtrek 190 versatile with a sign in the window asking $21,500. The base NADA price (no options) ranges from $8,800 to $10,800 (retail). They are asking double NADA and it's a private sale. What are people paying?
skiMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:17 AM   #49
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiMore View Post
Are NADA prices accurate? I keep seeing listings for way more than NADA and wonder if these people are getting what they are asking or are they in fantasy land. I just saw a 1997 roadtrek 190 versatile with a sign in the window asking $21,500. The base NADA price (no options) ranges from $8,800 to $10,800 (retail). They are asking double NADA and it's a private sale. What are people paying?
Right now, demand is outstripping supply. RT's are selling about 30% over ACV (actual cash value)..

NADA is projection...

That being said, i suspect dealer sales are around NADA average retail or a bit lower. Some higher rated dealers like Sunshinestaterv in gainesville are getting higher sale prices.

older units seem to have more variation in prices as owners are often pricing in additions and option at a greater % of the total value than newer units. Are they getting these prices ? not often... there are enough units at lower price points, that if someone is going to pay that amount, they'll go for a newer unit at the same amount.

IMHO YMMV
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Remember too that NADA cannot even remotely approach the value of vehicles that have been customized and upfit. It estimates our rig at approximately half the cost of what it would take to buy a van of the same off-grid capability. And that's after I enter all the options that it offers (which don't sufficiently represent what upfitters are doing these days).
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 03:17 PM   #51
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
Remember too that NADA cannot even remotely approach the value of vehicles that have been customized and upfit. It estimates our rig at approximately half the cost of what it would take to buy a van of the same off-grid capability. And that's after I enter all the options that it offers (which don't sufficiently represent what upfitters are doing these days).
there is an RV section that does just that, but it;s still projective, not actual values...

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs

if you are selling, or you are buying and have a specific unit in mind, i recommend:

RV Pricing and values. they charge $30 for a true commercial valuation that gives you good information for negotiating, as well as setting your prices realistically.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/RvPr...2ZUw77yz0OhDJw
bwolfsohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #52
BBQ
Platinum Member

Check this out LOL

Actual Cash Value $ 8,005 USD

https://poctra.com/1992-DODGE-RAM-VA.../LOUISVILLE-KY

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1992 RAM.JPG (167.4 KB, 20 views)
Old 09-08-2018, 08:33 PM   #53
Bronze Member

^^^Does "Actual Cash Value $ 8,005 USD" mean it sold for that? I guess the one I saw was a bargain.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #54
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiMore View Post
^^^Does "Actual Cash Value $ 8,005 USD" mean it sold for that? I guess the one I saw was a bargain.
Yes it is SOLD.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:12 PM   #55
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post
Yes it is SOLD.

What does someone do with that? Is it really possible to restoring makes sense?