Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #21
Platinum Member

Ok, this looks like a 'show and tell' on 'where we park our Class B'. So here's our contribution:

Don't know how high the door opens, but more than enough for access of our ProMaster high top.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 08:42 PM   #22
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
Ok, this looks like a 'show and tell' on 'where we park our Class B'. So here's our contribution:

Don't know how high the door opens, but more than enough for access of our ProMaster high top.
Have you though about how you are going to get that airplane out when you are done building it?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #23
Platinum Member

I have an architect friend who once started building a Bede BD-5 airplane in a studio apartment on the 20th floor. He moved into a house before completing it. I'm really not sure he finished it.

The BD-5 is a kit DIY airplane that was billed as the smallest jet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bede_BD-5
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 11:59 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Show and tell, here we are! Our RT 210 rests in the garage at our home in HVAC comfort. When we built our home twenty years ago, a nine foot garage door worked great but now it obviously should have been ten feet tall. Maybe. I suspect we are going to keep our RT for a long, long time simply because we love it and it meets our personal needs better than any new B we have seen. It is really nice to just walk out into the garage and have your B next to our other two vehicles.

Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:00 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Have you though about how you are going to get that airplane out when you are done building it?
The bigger problem is how to get son Timothy to remove his "89" race car that even he is no longer interested in . . . fortunately, the hangar door is large enough to allow the 'eviction' off all 'objects' seen in this photo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
I have an architect friend who once started building a Bede BD-5 airplane in a studio apartment on the 20th floor. He moved into a house before completing it. I'm really not sure he finished it.

The BD-5 is a kit DIY airplane that was billed as the smallest jet.
The problem with the BD-5 was Bede . . . like so many other 'enterprises', the expectations exceeded reality . . . Bede joined the long aviation ranks of 'wishful thinking', then, bankruptcy. We did see the BD-5 fly at Oshkosh . . . but haven't heard much about it for 20 years.

Fortunately, the 'flying objects' cohabitating the hangar with the ProMaster and race car are all production aircraft which, upon the addition of an engine, can exit through the same orifice through which they, and the ProMaster, entered.
Winston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 03:20 AM   #26
BBQ
Platinum Member

Forget about the BD-5 ... the Subsonex is flying

Old 06-06-2018, 04:20 AM   #27
Platinum Member

Default What's the fuel efficiency ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Forget about the BD-5 ... the Subsonex is flying

How many gallons per minute does this use???
Nice picture.
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #28
Bronze Member

Unhappy I Might have to buy a different house (RV storage).

To accomodate the RV lifestyle we might have to move! There is no room on our city lot for an RV unless it can fit in a 7' garage.

Most new class B RVs are built on high roof Promasters, Sprinters, or Transits. Because of the high roof they don't feel claustrophobic inside. A Sportsmobile pop top on the old style vans provided a much needed breath of fresh air with scenic views at eye level. Those could fit in a garage but are dated by today's new vans.

I too hate the thought of my pride & joy rotting in the Sacramento sun, stuck on some paved storage lot with wildlife making it a home. The furnace on our old pop-top Sunrader quit when a spider took up residence in it (they like the smell of propane). Had to take it apart to clear out webs plugging tiny burner orifices. To avoid weather aging you need at least a carport. When I look at old campervans they often have yellow fogged headlights - a sure sign they weren't garaged. My 20 year old car's headlights are still crystal clear.

Few homes have RV access and even less have a 10' tall garage opening. My best thought so far is to buy a house with RV access and erect a steel building in the backyard. BTW, my current house is in "Residential Zone 1" and the city of Sacramento will not let you build on more the 50% of your open lot land. Most lots are already built out. Raising the garage 3 feet is impractical. So while the new style campervans feel far more spacious, I am lost as to how to accomodate such a tall vehicle.

DougB
dougbaty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:23 AM   #29
Platinum Member

I've posted my solution - a remote garage condo. I just bought a DeWalt DWS780 sliding compound miter saw and stand for it. The beginning of my new man cave.

I had shed all of my tools in moving before I found the garage condo.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote