Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-29-2021, 09:34 PM   #1

Default Covering Class B Winter Storage

I live in the Canadian Rockies. I have received different opinions on covering our RV while storing outside in the winter. Yes or no?
dfeely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 10:07 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfeely View Post
I live in the Canadian Rockies. I have received different opinions on covering our RV while storing outside in the winter. Yes or no?
No. Traps and grinds in dirt.

Cover your windows, though, to protect the interior from sun.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:17 PM   #3
Platinum Member

We don't cover ours. We do close all of the sunshades.

We keep it plugged in and run the furnace (Truma Combi gas/electric) set to electric only, low setting, thermostat on 50 degrees.

We have wide temperature swings combined with high humidity here in the PNW, and those temperature swings lead to condensation on the inside of all of the windows, even with the shades closed. Running the heat moderates those temperature swings inside the van and prevents the condensation.

We used to run a dehumidifier as well, but we have found that it isn't necessary. Just running the heat at a constant 50 degrees does the job.

If you have a condensation problem, you have to deal with it, or soon the entire interior of the van will be a fuzzy, moldy mess.

I've seen what happens to a car that is left outdoors in the wintertime here, and not driven for a couple of months... car was a total loss due to the mold.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:25 PM   #4

Default Covering Class B winter storage

I live near Dallas, TX. I've covered mine the past 3 years. But first I wash it and crack one of the windows (downward on a Roadtrek) for circulation. I use a breathable but waterproof cover. The cover has been wearing, and I assume that the weathering would be affecting the Sprinter RV finish, roof appliances, etc., if not covered. When I remove the cover for my first trip, it looks clean as a whistle and ready to roll.
GaryL is offline   Reply With Quote