Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default COVID September 2020 trip planning

I don't have any confidence in any COVID-19 report numbers from any source. But if you do, and you are planning a trip, then here is some more data.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzanne...try-road-trip/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2020/09/23/covid-19-hot-spot-map-shows-the-challenge-of-a-cross-country-road-trip/
TygerMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
Bronze Member

I support offices in DC, Detroit and Arkansas. I have family in PA, DE and NJ. I live in Maine. That map looks pretty accurate based on what I know from those locations.

BTW, Maine folks are not real keen on visitors from red areas. We do have the same backwards thinking people that other states have that will harass vehicles from out of state. I have no problem with it as long as you get a test and quarantine when you get here. I do know that campgrounds are required to get proof of testing for you to be admitted.

https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restar...epmainehealthy
Tim R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:59 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Those kind of charts change constantly with new reporting. You can assume COVID is here and somewhat steady recently but assumed could go up again when people venture more indoors with coming cold weather. We recently made a run south from Minnesota to Ozark National Scenic Riverways in southern Missouri. You just have to use caution and interact sparingly. Use your own bathroom, credit card only at the pumps, where gloves at the pump handles (always do with diesel anyway), wash hands frequently if you do shop for food, wear mask of course, keep social distance, etc. We stayed at Harvest Host winery sites coming and going with little interaction but to buy courtesy bottles of their wine when we were the only customers for a free stay. We did go to two restaurants for my hobby, the breaded pork tenderloin sandwich intending to take out, midway between lunch and dinner and stayed when we were the only one on the outside patio in one and the only customers in the other inside.

We did meet about 20 fellow RVers for a social at our destination. The campground fire pit circle got humongous with social distancing and we dispensed with potlucks and sharing of food we normally do. One couple did survive COVID already in July. They wore masks. The husband still has lingering effects, so it is not like the flu.

Our other trips since March have been in remote forests in northern Minnesota with no one around.

We had delayed wedding for our daughter from April to August with the guest list paired down from about 150 to immediate family and friends of about 30 and a change in venue entirely outdoors in a back yard and a winery reception outdoors with temporary tent shelters.

We have been getting together with our son and family living in La Crosse, WI midway at a park outdoors for a picnic and dispensed with the hugs about every month but on our local news last night there was a report that La Crosse was a COVID hotspot at the UW-la crosse and people were warned not to travel there. My son is an administrator and DIL a professor and live across the street from the University. Our grandsons are remote learning but active in sports. We cancelled this month. We use Zoom a lot with our families.

We get together with our HOA neighbors on our cul-de-sac street two Tuesdays every month this summer outdoors with social distancing and masks. We had nearly everyone from our 16 households last Tuesday. It might have been the last outdoor get together if the weather turns cold and it may be a longtime before we get together inside sharing food.

My wife is more active. She does the most shopping, outdoor swims at Lifetime Fitness, gets together with her two sisters a lot, volunteers at WeCan, a food shelf and today is meeting at Como Park in St. Paul with her fellow U of Minnesota Raptor Center volunteers for her retirement from that activity of 20 years. I buy beer and go to my condo garage man cave.

If you are into podcast there is an excellent series called the "Olsterholm Update COVID-19" Episode 23 is on Mental Health, coping with this COVID isolation which I listened to on my walk yesterday. Dr. Michael Olsterholm is an epidemiologist at the University of Minnesota. He has been a frequent commentator on cable news. I trust him to tell it like it is.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:47 AM   #4
Gold Member

We just finished a month long trip with over 8000 miles all across America. If you use your head and precautions, traveling in an RV can be pretty safe. Yes, you will have to forego many social aspects but it can still be enjoyable. We just got tested in Idaho and we are negative so what we do must work.