Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

Default CPAP Location

I currently have a Roadtrek 190 Popular and am looking at upgrading to
a 210 or possibly Sprinter but looking at floor plans and power sofas which seem
to be standard, I am trying to find out what other people, who use CPAP machines
while travelling where they set them up with these beds. I would not like to see my $1200
machine drop on the floor and break. The dealers I have spoken to have no suggestions
Thanks for any ideas
coveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:56 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: CPAP Location

One thing I'd also recommend doing... make sure the "B" you are looking at has a power inverter, perhaps a solar array. That way, you can have your CPAP run from its own batteries, and if they get low, you can have it run from the rig's inverter for a good night's sleep.

As an idea to throw out, Sportsmobile might be an alternative if you want an elegant solution for the CPAP/BiPAP, as they do a lot of custom work for various medical needs.

At the minimum, if one is concerned about the CPAP machine falling off a table, I wonder if Velcro might work. That would keep it from sliding, but still will allow it to be removed by lifting up. However, I'm grasping at straws with this suggestion.
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Silver Member

I tried to work with Sportsmobile, and even visited their Ind location. Gave up when I could not get the TX location to even communicate after the first couple of emails. I guess I was too complicated for them.

I have an Airstream Sprinter and I built my own shelf unit in the back for my CPAP. We have an inverter so I have 115v power BUT CPAP machines are available with 12v cords. Mine is if I wanted to buy a 12v cord. Never needed one as we always have 115v available. You could store it while driving and only put it in place at night therefore eliminating the sliding off or dropping from the table.
bikerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I would think Advanced RV or Great West Vans would take the initiative to work with you on a CPAP solution. They have both done custom retrofits for customers on various unique items. I doubt you would get much response from the others.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I think you can still get a Raodtrek 210 with the standard rear seats/bed (no power sofa). As you have a 190, it would be the same style as yours if yours is not a power sofa. They may still have the center night stand also.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 12:27 PM   #6

My 190P is the old style twin bed/king setup. I use the small table top as a night stand
which works great. Roadtrek dealers are not a lot of help saying that they all come from the
factory with the power sofas and doubt whether it could be order without it. I am waiting
to here back from one dealer whether I could be ordered with no bed and do a custom
job and get exactly what I want.
Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Lou
Platinum Member

I use my CPAP machine in a Pleasureway Excel. Explanation will make more sense if you look at this floorplan.
http://www.pleasureway.com/portfolio-it ... floorplan/

If we are hooked up to electricity I plug it into an outlet below the kitchen counter at the far right hand side when facing counter. There is also an outlet at the middle front of the couch below the seating.
With the couch bed you can make it up as a king size or leave out some cushions at the foot, to have it separate (like two partial twin beds) from below your hips to your toes. We like it this way as it is easier to get out of bed. So there is room to put my cpap on a tray with short legs, on the floor by my bed.

Often we are staying in a park with no electricity so then I hook it up to a battery booster pack. Fortunately for me when I was being monitored during first cpap use my counsellor was a camping person so he hinted that I should buy a battery booster pack (for starting your car if you run down your batteries) instead of the expensive one that the cpap company sells. I have a Canadian Tire housebrand and it has worked just fine. Eventually it needs to be recharged.
In the morning I put the CPAP back in its carry case on the floor between couch and side sitting box. The battery goes inside the box seat on my side.

It is a nuisance like rolling up your sleeping bag but it sure is nice to have a brain once again functioning on all cylinders so it is worth it.

After awhile my husband decided he didn't really have enough leg room. However instead of putting the board and all the cushions back he built a narrow two legged table that has one side resting on the side box seat that holds the large cushion. The narrow cushion fits on top of the 'table'. There is still enough room to get out of bed without stepping on my cpap. During the day the 'table' fits inside the box seat on his side.

Hope this helps, if it doesn't make sense, let me know and I will try again.

PS I was warned that if you are taking your machine across the border you might want to have some evidence that you bought it at home.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 12:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the idea but my wife and I like the twin bed setup as she gets up in the middle
of the night and I usually stay sleeping. I contacted Advanced RV and they would customize to
any specs I want but the cost of it may not be doable. We also carry a power pack as a backup
power source and jump start if needed. It will run my CPAP for two nights without the humidifier
When travelling to the US I always carry my prescription for my machine and some states will not sell
you any kind of machine or hoses without a US prescription
Old 03-30-2014, 03:04 AM   #9
Lou
Platinum Member

Coveman
If you haven't looked, try stretching out on the Pleasureway and Roadtrek models that have the king/twin choice. If you don't put in the extra board (to make it king) you have twins from aprox hip to toes. I get up earlier and it is great to be able to just put your feet down and stand up! The power sofa is very nice for relaxing in the evening plus you get two extra seatbelts.
Thanks for the tip about not using the humidifier. We are going on our first more than 3 day trip with this van and I may need that advice.
Lou is offline   Reply With Quote