Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Creeper or carpet
Creeper 3 33.33%
Carpet 2 22.22%
Switch between creeper and carpet 6 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2015, 12:25 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Creeper or carpet

A friend showed up today while I was making battery tray brackets for the winter upgrade project, and as often happens when folks stop by, I got the "why aren't you using the creeper" question. I have two creepers (good ones) and have had half a dozen others, but they always seem to find there way to leaning on the wall, and I am back to using a scrap of carpet. It is not intentional or planned, it just happens.

The benefits of using a creeper are obvious, it has wheels to move you in and out, and a headrest if you need a nap.

I think, at least for me, the difference comes from two things, that are not 100% of the time, but often enough to prevent switching back and forth between carpet and creeper.

1. You have to get the vehicle a couple of inches higher to use a creeper and have the same amount of work space.

2. A lot of the under vehicle work I do entails tight bolts to loosen (that I can't get with the impact) and tighten, and things like drilling holes in the high strength frame parts that require a lot of force.

The logic of #1. is obvious, it is harder and you need better jacks and stands to do it.

#2 is tougher to define, but it seems that whenever I try to use the creeper, I wind up trying to drill a hole, loosen something, whatever, that requires a big sideways push, and zoom off I go rolling away on the creeper because I can't get a good push without rolling away. Usually, I leave a bunch of skin somewhere because the wrench or drill slipped when the creeper took off. On a piece of carpet, I am not strong enough to make myself slide.

So--what do you all do? creeper or carpet or switch between?
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:37 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I often use a piece of cardboard. I can just get under the van with no lift at all but it is tight. Getting under the van is easier than getting out from under the van - that ain't pretty.

I have a creeper, just haven't used it yet. I'll probably try it when I get around to the macerator project. Thanks for the heads up re: what to expect on the creeper.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:42 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Until recently, I worked on cars over a gravel surface where a creeper wouldn't work even if I had the room underneath. Now I have a large concrete driveway so I might dig out my creeper and give it a try.

"Il Travato Rosso"
2015 Travato 59g
eric1514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:56 AM   #4
Silver Member

I use my creeper to inspect the underside but I use cardboard if I have to go back to do repairs.
sebtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:13 AM   #5
Site Team

I got my first creeper ever a few months ago. My conclusion: Where have you been all my life? I love it.

For the extra height I built 5" ramps out of bits of 2x12. The van drives right up on them:

avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Bronze Member

+1 on the cardboard
olddodgevan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:00 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Both. Like booster says if you have to pull or push hard the creeper wont stay in place. Back in my old days the creeper wheels would run over my hair sometimes.
AK49er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #8
Platinum Member

That's funny! Probably not for you at the time though.

I wonder if any of the fancy creepers have brakes?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:29 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
I wonder if any of the fancy creepers have brakes?
Actually all of them have brakes! They stop really fast when you hit even a tiny rock or anything on the floor.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I've used a creeper, carpet a foam pad and cardboard. They all work to soften the interface with rock hard concrete. ��
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 01:15 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I got my first creeper ever a few months ago. My conclusion: Where have you been all my life? I love it.

For the extra height I built 5" ramps out of bits of 2x12. The van drives right up on them:

I like your solution. I've always been leary of the commercial steel ramps (I have) no matter what the manufacturer rates them for loading.

BTW, A 4x4 Sprinter is close to that height with about a 4" lift.

I have a creeper I've used on our asphalt driveway. I've also used cardboard at times. My best solution is when I had my Onan generator Bs I could back up over a stone retaining berm that I created to get a level driveway extension next to my garage. It is about 2 feet high and I could crawl under easily to change oil.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Cardboard or my patio mat depending on expected mess and wood ramps built by me.
stanw909 is offline   Reply With Quote