Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
BBQ
Platinum Member

Default Cross Wind driving

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Here is another video also showing the other driver assist features. As I recall, the crosswind assist is not available on the 3500 DRW Sprinter chassis.

gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:19 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Very interesting. I had wondered exactly how they were doing the assist.

The way they do it would indicate that they are addressing gusts only, of the most part (they probably couldn't react to continuous anyway because it is not a change of state). The driver would still holding the steering against a constant wind and the assist would take care of the gusts or reductions. I would guess that it will also get different movement rates for the front and rear, so they can put on different amounts of braking on wind side wheels.

In our non assisted vans, wind can be an issue, and there were quite a few folks that said the older single wheel Sprinters were a handful.

From what we found on our Chevy, it is unreasonable to expect that the van not be moved over by wind, as physics always wins. The goal is to get that movement to be the same amount on the front and rear, so that all you do is move over in the lane, but remain pointed straight. Without assist, this is about the best you can get. If the van has understeer like most class b's do, you get the front pushed more than the rear and not only pushed away from the wind but also pointed away from the wind (which also puts you even further over). This makes for the big corrections in the steering we often hear about. Just correcting a location in the lane is easy compared to also having to change the direction the van is going. Correcting the understeer keeps you going straight and also improves the steering response so you get quicker corrections. Neutral handling vans will do quite well in big winds and not require the major slowing of speed that lots of people find necessary.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:26 PM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Lane-assist will counter constant winds.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I have never felt uncomfortable in 4 years of driving our 08 RS Sprinter 2500 due to gusts or strong winds or passing semis in the wind. Definitely pays to slow down a little in severe conditions. Went over the Mackinaw bridge on a windy day and it is clear why they lower the speed limit on windy days, whole lot of shaking goin on...

Most report that the 3500 DRW Sprinter does a much better job than the SRW models.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
I have never felt uncomfortable in 4 years of driving our 08 RS Sprinter 2500 due to gusts or strong winds or passing semis in the wind. Definitely pays to slow down a little in severe conditions. Went over the Mackinaw bridge on a windy day and it is clear why they lower the speed limit on windy days, whole lot of shaking goin on...

Most report that the 3500 DRW Sprinter does a much better job than the SRW models.
The older Sprinter reports do vary a lot. Many saying no issue, as does Greg. I think it was Mike Wendlund that had written his wife would not even drive their single wheel version, but was fine with the dually.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
BBQ
Platinum Member

This is from the Dodge RAM ProMaster:

Quote:

· Drift Compensation technology: Detects road conditions – such as a crowned road surface or crosswinds – and adjusts the steering system to help the driver compensate for pulling and drifting

Old 07-16-2016, 03:58 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

This is an older video

Old 07-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Lane-assist will counter constant winds.
Lane-assist on a Sprinter has nothing to do with winds. It detects lane markings and if you drift over them an icon lights on the dash and you get a beep. If you have a turn signal on to cross over in a lane to pass, it will not beep.

There are other safety features such as being too close to stop in time, blind spot warnings, and going to fast into a turn.

The 3500 dually Sprinters do not have the cross-wind assist. I've never been pushed out of my lane in either a T1N 2500 or a 3500 in probably 60 mph gusts.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Hi, have you ever heard of a product called "air tabs" they stick on the vehicle to help with wind .
lindadoglady@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:43 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindadoglady@aol.com View Post
Hi, have you ever heard of a product called "air tabs" they stick on the vehicle to help with wind .

I've looked at air tabs, but I think they are too pricey for the questionable benefit they would provide on a B-van.

- - Mike
2013 Airstream Interstate on 2012 Sprinter
Old 07-23-2016, 11:30 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindadoglady@aol.com View Post
Here are air tabs installed on a Class B Sportsmobile. I've also seen them on large trucks. There seems to be a lot of pro and con about them. I suspect nobody really knows other than the theory. I didn't think they were for wind stability.

2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 01:13 AM   #13
Platinum Member

I put some on the back pockets of my pants; they didn't help.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 06:44 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Has anyone heard of a product called "air tabs" they are supposed to help wind shear.
lindadoglady@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote