Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Crossing into Canada to Alaska? don;t dawdle

CBC reports RCMP ticketing persons who claimed "Essential Border Crossing" to access Alaska- and found sightseeing/ hiking in Banff N.P.

$1200 fine

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...aska-1.5621452
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2020, 08:22 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The only good thing is that it's probably in the Canadian Peso ...

THANK YOU FOR THE WARNING
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:10 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Not surprised. The last time I was on the icefields Parkway between Banff and Jasper, there were about 15 police cars around the corner at the bottom of the steepest hill coming down from the Icefields area. They were pulling over every single car that passed. We had no idea what was happening and thought it might even be a drug search. Surprisingly, there was apparently a single 35 mph speed limit sign (60 kph) right before a turn on the road on the steepest section. Every single car that passed through received a speeding ticket. As I recall it was for about $100 Canadian. The locals at the gas station nearby laughingly told us that they had been doing that for several weeks. I think they fund the RMCP with tourist fines from the Banff area.
jrobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:13 AM   #4
Platinum Member

In this instance, the only difference between these Uniformed Mafia & those South of our Border was that they weren't going beyond kidnapping.

Extortion is extortion!
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 01:57 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
Extortion is extortion!

the border is closed to 7/21 to non-essential traffic, exception for US traffic transiting directly through Canada to/from AK

the hikers knowingly broke the law

the intent of my post was to inform that the laws are being enforced

mike
Old 07-02-2020, 04:13 PM   #6

I agree. The law is there to keep Canadians safe. America has had a dismal response to Covid, we don't need new outbreaks because of tourists who shouldn't be stopping
Nads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:32 PM   #7

Please understand and respect why this has become an issue. Be kind, be calm and be safe. Enjoy your trip to Alaska.
jschurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:27 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
the border is closed to 7/21 to non-essential traffic, exception for US traffic transiting directly through Canada to/from AK
That particular CBC story is incomplete. The border is open for certain limited family reunification purposes in addition to "essential" purposes, but all entrants must observe 14-day quarantine.

And the quarantines are monitored by authorities - it's not an "on your own own recognizance" deal like it has been here in some jurisdictions in the U.S.

I know this, because I'm getting ready to do it.

So, for instance, a traveler with U.S. plates might in fact be legally in a National Park in Canada, having entered for a legit purpose and then proceeded to be released from quarantine.

The main concern for Class B-ers who find themselves in these circumstances is not the thousand-ish dollar fines from the government. The larger risk is threats against personal safety and vehicle vandalism. In certain jurisdictions, there have already been cases where the locals turned on other Canadians from out of province - even if those Canadians are from provinces where coronavirus has been extirpated! Imagine the nerve of them! And imagine what they'd do if they saw a Texas plate!

Fortunately I have my own acreage situated a half-kilometer behind a locked gate, where there's a lower risk of someone trying to burn down my van. I have no plans to leave my van unattended at any time, even after release from quarantine. If it weren't for my immediate family being there, I would not be traveling to Canada at all.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/princ...ckay-1.5634915
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:51 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Default Parks Canada providing full refund for Covid 19 related cancellations

We have no interest in self isolating for 14 days and have cancelled our July National Park reservation in New Brunswick. We will spend the summer RVing inside our own province.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:41 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
We have no interest in self isolating for 14 days and have cancelled our July National Park reservation in New Brunswick. We will spend the summer RVing inside our own province.
There has been a persistent rumor that the Atlantic provinces are planning to re-open to the rest of Canada without quarantine restrictions. An announcement is said to be coming in mid-July.

That, of course, is too late for many vacationers' planning purposes this year.

As for me, two weeks of self-isolation in this spot shown below is more-or-less what I do every year anyway. The main difference is that I have never before had the government verifying that I'm doing it.

EDIT: Here it is again, published about an hour ago, a news piece containing the reference to opening the Atlantic provinces soon to other Canadians without quarantine. But not Americans.

Nova Scotia premier says cars with U.S. plates won't be turned away at border

Old 07-02-2020, 09:13 PM   #11
Silver Member

That looks like an absolutely HORRIBLE place to spend two weeks. I’m jealous.
Nspekter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nspekter View Post
That looks like an absolutely HORRIBLE place to spend two weeks. I’m jealous.
I know, eh? I'm willing to make that steep sacrifice for God, country, and family.

On a more serious note, and perhaps relevant to this thread generally, incomers are required to prove-up the viability of their quarantine plans, but there is little hard guidance on what that consists of. I'm drawing up a cheat sheet containing all of the common sense info such as logistical info plus the names and phone numbers of different people I have lined up to drop groceries at our fenceline, etc.
Old 07-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #13
Platinum Member

... I'm drawing up a cheat sheet containing all of the common sense info such as logistical info plus the names and phone numbers of different people I have lined up to drop groceries at our fenceline, etc.[/QUOTE]

That is a very wise move. Border authorities have final say. I have a family member in New Brunswick who has family farm land just across the border in Quebec. As in previous years, he planted some crops this spring. As soon as the border closed, he discovered that he could no longer cross over to tend to his crops, since each crossing would require a 14 day self-isolation period.
Sensfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensfan View Post
... Border authorities have final say. ....
An update for anyone who may be following this thread...

The Atlantic provinces are stopping cars at their borders and having people fill out paperwork. This applies to everyone, including those who are NOT required to quarantine by virtue of residency.

So, there are two checkpoints - the U.S. / Canada border and also the provincial border.

Obviously in the name of expediency, we should be able to download that provincial paperwork, and fill it out in advance, having it ready to hand over to the provincial authorities who are now working without any infrastructure at all (I hope they have pens, at least). But it's not yet available, with the result being this:

Old 07-04-2020, 01:03 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I suspect if you could download and fill out the form ahead of time, you would still be in the minority and have to wait in that long line unless they had second line to expedite your passage.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:50 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by InterBlog View Post
The main concern for Class B-ers who find themselves in these circumstances is not the thousand-ish dollar fines from the government. The larger risk is threats against personal safety and vehicle vandalism. ....
Postscript on this... this poor bugger got targeted because he has a novelty plate on his car. He's a Nova Scotia resident with an NS plate on the back of his car where one is legally required, but to those who style themselves as this type of enforcer, well, they don't bother with details. They just look for targets.

And you might think, well, what's the harm in a little nasty note?

It's not the note that is the problem. It's the tire-slashing that follows if you don't comply with its command. The note is just your first warning.

Or as the news piece notes, "[on social media, posters] mentioned instances where people's vehicles have been keyed..."

In a routine year, Nova Scotia (population 970,000) enjoys $2 billion in tourism revenue. It is difficult for me to imagine what's going to happen to thousands of small businesses, and the society as a whole, not just because of coronavirus, but because of the mob mentality that has developed along with it.

Old 07-16-2020, 04:22 PM   #17
Platinum Member

My State of AZ has tried a "you're on your own" non-policy policy
and we have 2500 dead, over 3000 new cases everyday, with no decline. ICU at 80%+ the past month

Both NS and PEI had outbreaks traced from people who crossed borders

Infection rates are low and there is capacity for tracing direct lines from A to B to C

( NS reports TWO active cases in the entire Province)

Here's a Florida resident couple fined in Ontario:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudbu...rges-1.5648703

failing to isolate, they need babysitters

People like this spoil it for everyone and the border restrictions are likely to extend

The US non-policy of "viruses are a fact of life, get used to it_" is an outlier. and irresponsible

The Lobster industry is done, rather than fish without a market they will take the season off to allow the stocks to improve.
The tourism industry will take a hit fer sure.
The cruise lines wanted to come to Halifax and were told no thanks

CDN economic policy of $500 wk has bills paid and money moving through the economy ( this policy likely extended through 31/12) that will soften the blow as the funding is applied near universally.

Both the covid and economic outlook are better & the border controls are literally the line of defense.

and people are hyper-aware, it is a matter of discussion that people in NS should not be seeing anyone from outside the maritime bubble.

A poll today shows only 15% think that the Provincial border should be open ASAP- over 55% no time in the near future

https://www.halifaxtoday.ca/polls/wh...-14-days-16979

It's a long way from a note to damage and this article points out that people are being a little "Karen", so knock it off.

2 active cases:

https://www.thechronicleherald.ca/ne...ursday-474139/
Old 07-16-2020, 06:12 PM   #18
Platinum Member

An updated piece just now on how New Brunswick is controlling borders to traffic from US, Quebec, Nova Scotia and PEI

and what is expected from travelers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ders-1.5648061

Mike
Old 07-16-2020, 07:46 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post

It's a long way from a note to damage and this article points out that people are being a little "Karen", so knock it off.

You are clearly not from there, or if you are, you didn't learn much from your tenure. I was born there, raised there, spent 23 years residing there, and have owned land there for the last 27 years. It's not a long way at all - it's happening, and it will continue to happen, because that's the way things are done in that culture.

I have an American husband and a Canadian father. There many rights and responsibilities that come with my resulting legal status. Fortunately, the shamers and the vandals can only get so far with me, because they don't make the final call on what people can and cannot do. We have a robust legal system for that - on BOTH sides of the border.

Nevertheless, I watch this situation very closely because I would rather not be forced to confront their ilk. It will not work out well for them if they decide to target me next, or my Class B.

This is very much a security issue, and part of any good security plan is knowing your adversaries.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:46 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Graduated JL Ilsley '77
Attended Dalhousie
Worked at Parks Canada restoring the Citadel
Lived downtown, armdale, down past herring cove
Traveled it from tip to tip
Family connections and property

I stay on top of NS news

If you have a CDN passport/citizenship you won't be refused entry at the national border.

As in the linked today's CBC story; if transiting NB there could be questions and people are responsible to isolate as directed.
(Have a look if you haven't)

Under current conditions you and I live in a country with out-of-control covid

And Canadians do not
( and they can enjoy Intl travel )

The examples in the stories in this thread are of irresponsible travelers.
The "Ugly American" so to speak

the note is just a "Karen" story, and just a note.

People DO notice out of area plates- because it is unusual just now

Mike