Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2019, 11:36 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to unimat
Default cruise control

Got a good deal on a 2018 Chevy express 2500. however, it doesn't have cruise. The dealer says it can't be retrofitted. Anybody have experience with trying to do this in a 2014-2018 Chev? I would prefer to put a whole new steering column in with the factory controls. Seems like it should just plug in to the harness? I read things saying the aftermarket controls don't work?!??? Anyone?
unimat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:14 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Not saying it can't be done, but with all the integrated electronics on today's vehicles, doubt you'll find anyone who will attempt it for a price you're willing to live with. Learn to enjoy the van as is, and remember the great deal you got.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:24 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Not saying it can't be done, but with all the integrated electronics on today's vehicles, doubt you'll find anyone who will attempt it for a price you're willing to live with. Learn to enjoy the van as is, and remember the great deal you got.

I would agree. The vehicle is drive by wire, so all the throttle positions would be PCM controlled, also the cruise, I think. No separate vacuum can and cable any more. It could take a lot of parts, including a new PCM or at least a flash of the program. As Rowibowie said, if it could be done, it likely would be more than you saved by getting a good deal, and may be the reason it was so inexpensive.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2019, 03:56 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Either controlled through ECM or BCM. GM has done it both ways over the years. Either way you would need to find out first if wiring is in dash harness, then find a programmer that has access to GM TIS 2000 or equal and wants to mess with it. Then add the cruise control Equipped steering column.
valvegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:17 AM   #5
Gold Member

Here is a link that may help.They have a phone number that you could call. I have found that many dealers find it easier to claim something cant be done than to spend time doing research. Good luck and hope this helps. https://www.thecruisecontrolstore.co...e-control-kit/
Old 11-29-2019, 03:09 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by valvegod View Post
Either controlled through ECM or BCM. GM has done it both ways over the years. Either way you would need to find out first if wiring is in dash harness, then find a programmer that has access to GM TIS 2000 or equal and wants to mess with it. Then add the cruise control Equipped steering column.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbourn3704 View Post
Here is a link that may help.They have a phone number that you could call. I have found that many dealers find it easier to claim something cant be done than to spend time doing research. Good luck and hope this helps. https://www.thecruisecontrolstore.co...e-control-kit/
This is why I love this forum.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote