Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-20-2016, 02:04 AM   #1

Exclamation Custom 2017 Hymer Aktiv on order

On 10/9/16 at the Pomona Show I worked a deal directly with Jim Hammill/CEO of Roadtrek/Hymer North America for a highly customized Hymer Aktiv. As of this writing (12/19/16), delivery (slated for Dec 15th) is late; I have not been told how late as of yet. My concerns are build quality, timing and that all customizations will indeed be completed. I'm happy to keep you informed.
I have also began a Facebook group where folks can speak freely without censorship, titled:
'Roadtreking & Class B Enthusiasts (Uncensored)'
Please join if you wish

The list of agreed upon customizations:
• Long chassis: 20’11”
• 350 watts solar
• Spare tire underneath
• External water filter + pressure valve
• Water filter installed under sink
• Zion-style rear power sofa and ottomans that motor into queen/king size bed (black leather)
• Table-mount in rear installed so the table is usable even when sofa is down, table insert to be Paperstone cloverleaf (to allow table use while sofa is up or down)
• All fabric (sofa, ottomans, captain chairs, 2nd row chairs) to be in black leather with Hymer logo on headrests of front 4 seats
• Seatbelts for 7 (2 up front, 2 in 2nd row, 3 in back on sofa)
• 5.5 cu ft compressor fridge to be installed at waist height, to the left of the bathroom, directly across from stove top).
• TV mounted in rear on fridge cabinet instead of upfront. Swivel to be able to truly rotate for viewing from the front
• Galley: Where previous fridge was (on the floor under the burners), install a cabinet at floor level able to accommodate a 14 x 13 x 13 inch electric pressure cooker (weighs 14 lbs, heavy, needs to be on floor in a cabinet)
• Galley: Include a slide out pantry.
• All cabinet doors and drawers to be quiet-close Hymer latches
• All cabinetry to be cherry.
• All counter tops to be black granite (including thinner version on the folding table in second row behind captain’s chair)
• Add window in galley (to see thru door window when side door is open- as much as possible without losing the electric outlet)
• Add dimmer on all interior lights with dimmer switches in front and rear (2)
• Macerator system (no cassette toilet)
• Horseshoe cabinet configuration in rear
• Cut an access portal on side of the larger ottoman next to galley that is 8 or 9 inches wide to allow for enclosed kitty litter space
• Outdoor shower
• Two fresh water tanks: one 36 gallon and a 20 gallon inside the cabin
• Add built-in pockets or netting to inside of both back doors for storage
• Convection microwave
• No external stripe or decals
• Countertop extension (black granite) added to the left of the sink (installed beneath electrical outlets which will be installed sideways)
• Add extension table on back of galley cabinet to extend into campsite with adjustable legs
• MaxxGuard clear coat on front

Included (not custom):
• RV roadside assistance for 2 years
• ECO400 Lithium power modules
• 350W solar power and charge control
• Power steps
• Under hood generator
• Power awning
• Power inverter/charger
• Sirius /Bluetooth
• Screen package (zipped in back, slider up front)
• All windows and sunroof with Hymer-style screens and shades
• Under carriage coating
StaciJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

So basically, it is a Zion... with Hymer's windows, bathroom, drawers and latches? LOL Since it's a combo, perhaps we should call it the "Hymon"

Not sure why you started yet another Facebook Page. We already have an uncensored group called "Roadtrek and Hymer Owners Group" which includes many of us banned from Roadtrekking because we mentioned the problems we were having with our Roadtreks.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 02:38 AM   #3

I think HymerTrek is more catchy.
And it also has the 2nd row double seat/table (that the Travato has), and the lovely sunroof. And my FB group isn't Roadtrek specific, but van/class b/roadtreking lifestyle. I'm certainly not married to it.... I just find it hard to believe I've been kicked out of 2 FB groups when I've never been kicked out of anything anywhere ever...
Old 12-20-2016, 02:54 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Very interested to see your van. Also I a surprised they agreed to do a custom build... what was the process for that and are they planning more? It would be interesting to pull options from other products they sell and make a hybrid custom...
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 03:19 AM   #5

I don't think custom is common, they call it a 'Jim special' so if you are working with him directly he can make the call on that (and that is basically done at the big RV shows).
Old 12-20-2016, 03:56 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciJames View Post
I don't think custom is common, they call it a 'Jim special' so if you are working with him directly he can make the call on that (and that is basically done at the big RV shows).
Why did you decide not to get the Volt Start option?
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:01 AM   #7

oh dear... thought I did... will have to re-check my paperwork..I think I remember it being standard- definitely didn't choose to not get it...
Old 12-20-2016, 12:52 PM   #8
BBQ
Platinum Member

"Roadtreking" is Mike's business name. You might not want to entangle in it.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 01:01 PM   #9
BBQ
Platinum Member

You ordered the RV 10/9/16 and expect delivery Dec 15???

FAT CHANCE

They might be able to do a production unit in that time frame.

Any mod will cause delay.
Because all mods must pass through engineering approval.

They can't even do a production unit with mods in that time,
let alone a practically totally NEW design.

You are not talking about lego blocks here.
There are plumbing and wires to interconnect,
and they have to be tested, and tested, and tested.

Just like any business organization, they want your sale. They will do anything to get your deposit cheque. After they got your money, they will figure out how to make the damn thing.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:45 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think HymerTrek is more catchy.
True, but doesn't have the possibilities for double entendre. LOL

Quote:
And it also has the 2nd row double seat/table (that the Travato has), and the lovely sunroof.
From the Hymer...

Quote:
And my FB group isn't Roadtrek specific, but van/class b/roadtreking lifestyle. I'm certainly not married to it.... I just find it hard to believe I've been kicked out of 2 FB groups when I've never been kicked out of anything anywhere ever...
You've temporarily got me beat. But, I think you may get into trouble with using the "roadtrekking" term. You might want to remove the 'ing' to avoid getting into issues with Mike, who is very territorial.

I would also be very surprised if you get your new rig in less than another 2 months... in fact, if earlier than that, you may end up with significantly more QC issues.

Yes, RT is open to making small tweaks, but at HUGE expense. When I asked about switching out the propane fridge for the 12v, the charge they stated was more than the retail price of the new fridge... with no credit for the fact that they were not installing the other one. In effect, making me pay for two fridges. (the dealer absorbed the cost for this one) It was this way with every little change I wanted.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 04:20 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Staci,

I got the impression from your dialog with Jim Hammill on Roadtreking that he was returning your deposit and canceling the order. Did you change your mind about canceling the order?
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 05:05 PM   #12

Then Mike should trademark it.
Honestly I just want my van. I never thought I would be entering a world of politics and unwritten rules and delicate personalities. I just want peace, I want my van, I want to be in nature and I want to speak freely about problems and solutions. I do not live in communist China.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:10 PM   #13

If you read my post again... oh wait, you can't because it was deleted. That's ok, I saved a screen shot of the whole exchange... it was that I was at a loss as to what to do as my delivery date had come and gone without notice that my van would be late or when my van would come. I was losing confidence and wondering if I should cancel. Since then Jim and I have taken it to email (a method that wasn't working previously) and the build is moving forward- yet as of today (12/20/16 -five days after original delivery date) I have no update on the build, no new delivery date and no connection to a Customer Service Rep (this is a new role I understand within the company so folks can be more informed as it is too much for a CEO to deal with day to day communications). I think it is a positive step, but am still waiting on that communication.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:15 PM   #14

I agree, but they have had over 2 months. How long does it take?
Old 12-20-2016, 06:23 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

You ordered the RV 10/9/16 and expect delivery Dec 15???

FAT CHANCE

They might be able to do a production unit in that time frame.

Any mod will cause delay.
Because all mods must pass through engineering approval.

They can't even do a production unit with mods in that time,
let alone a practically totally NEW design.

You are not talking about lego blocks here.
There are plumbing and wires to interconnect,
and they have to be tested, and tested, and tested.

Just like any business organization, they want your sale. They will do anything to get your deposit cheque. After they got your money, they will figure out how to make the damn thing.

I can see your point, but my point is all I really want is communication. Not silence. This is the most frustrating piece for me- being completely in the dark, having the delivery date come and go with no update.
Who does that?
My financing, my insurance and my storage facility are all hung up with no date. Not to mention my own personal plans. I promised my 95 year old grandma she will get the first visit. Well Christmas won't be it. I do hope she lasts long enough to see the van at all...
Old 12-20-2016, 07:34 PM   #16
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
I can see your point, but my point is all I really want is communication. Not silence. This is the most frustrating piece for me- being completely in the dark, having the delivery date come and go with no update.
Who does that?
My financing, my insurance and my storage facility are all hung up with no date. Not to mention my own personal plans. I promised my 95 year old grandma she will get the first visit. Well Christmas won't be it. I do hope she lasts long enough to see the van at all...

Judging from past reads on various forums,
dealing direct with Jim has seldom resulted in good outcomes.
RT works through dealers. Whatever JM agrees with you must come full circle back to the dealer.

Honestly, if you want a custom van, you should go see a custom upfitter.
But the waiting period is 12~18 months.

Roadtrek is a mass production shop. They have very limited flexibility.
And whatever custom work they are willing to do, they charge big bucks for it.

I don't know how you got them to promise a Dec delivery date.

Of all the delivery complaints I saw on forums,
most of them are production units: no mod, but with specific options.
When they promise 8 weeks, usually it is 12~13 wks before they can be done.

If we take a step back and look at the big picture around 10/9/16,

RT had announced the merger with Hymer
They had just introduced the Aktiv
They were eager to have orders on the books before the year end.
However, the Aktiv production was not up to speed yet.
At the same time, Hymer has purchased new factory facility and want to get it ready for production.

I can see a perfect storm.
None of these is your fault; they should set up a realistic expectation with you.
Old 12-20-2016, 08:07 PM   #17
BBQ
Platinum Member

This Aktiv was delayed too...

They got it sorted.

There is hope for you

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f5...t-rv-5892.html
Old 12-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
oh dear... thought I did... will have to re-check my paperwork..I think I remember it being standard- definitely didn't choose to not get it...
RT Volt Start is always listed as an option on both their brochures and their ordering forms. I would think that in your discussions with JH, he would have recommended including it, but your order form will indicate it one way or the other. If it wasn't included, the current progress of the build might permit adding the option.
cruising7388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:20 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Quote:

...I have also began a Facebook group where folks can speak freely without censorship, titled: 'Roadtreking & Class B Enthusiasts (Uncensored)'
Please join if you wish....
Just another "satisfied" Roadtrek customer starting their own FB group.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #20
Silver Member

How is manufacturing this "custom" Hymer an advantage or plus to them? Seems more like a pain for the assembly line? And, I'm not sure what you are getting either, in the form of substantial plusses.
talktodean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hymer