Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 12:46 PM   #41
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregmchugh View Post
LOL, soft touch, snide and cynical comments while trying to be clever doesn't seem like a soft touch to me...
I've never seen "snide and cynical comments" on the Facebook group page. If you have some, please let me know.
NorthPotomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:04 PM   #42
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPotomac View Post
I've never seen "snide and cynical comments" on the Facebook group page. If you have some, please let me know.
How about...

LOL. I think you and JH are a perfect match for each other. I can't think of a better brand ambassador for RT - either paid or unpaid, as the case may be. Enjoy the experience!
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:09 PM   #43
Gold Member

Quote:
How about...

LOL. I think you and JH are a perfect match for each other. I can't think of a better brand ambassador for RT - either paid or unpaid, as the case may be. Enjoy the experience!
Whoa -- wasn't that a message on this forum? This discussion concerns whether the FB Class B group, from which Wincrasher excluded someone, had snide and dismissive messages. I have joined that group and not observed snide or dismissive message on the FB group.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:14 PM   #44
Platinum Member

When I was a member of that group I saw snide and derisive comments made to a Roadtrek newby who asked a simple question. When I mentioned that this was not the way to grow members I was kicked off. Thin skinned group ownership is not unique to that group but since they run the show that is the way it is...

I have no regrets for getting the boot...
Old 12-29-2016, 01:19 PM   #45
Gold Member

Quote:
When I was a member of that group I saw snide and derisive comments made to a Roadtrek newby who asked a simple question. When I mentioned that this was not the way to grow members I was kicked off. Thin skinned group ownership is not unique to that group but since they run the show that is the way it is...

I have no regrets for getting the boot...
I am a recent (3 months) member of the group and have not seen any messages that could be characterized as snide or derisive. Obviously I cannot testify as to what went on earlier.

I can say that I saw some very vulgar messages by a person who was apparently subsequently excluded from the group. Vulgarity of course is in the eye of the beholder, but in my opinion they were indeed vulgar. I've never been a group moderator so I have no idea what I would do if I saw vulgar postings on "my" site. Perhaps I would give one warning to the poster before excluding him. Perhaps such a warning was given, I have really no idea.

I don't know any of the people involved, and am commenting based solely on what I have read.
Old 12-29-2016, 01:43 PM   #46
Site Team

Quote:
This discussion concerns whether the FB Class B group...
Actually, this discussion concerns buying a Hymer Aktiv.

With my moderator's hat on:
I think it is time to pull this thread back on-topic, OK folks?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:46 PM   #47
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

That's fine with me...
Old 12-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #48
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post

I heartily and gladly agree. I followed this thread precisely because the Aktiv really interests me.

The OP's posting scared me, because I have seen other stories of promised "special-order" RT products that failed to materialize. I really do hope that if the OP gets a Hymer Aktiv, he/she reports on it. It's one of the most exciting designs around, in my opinion, and if only the dealer network had not totally ignored my part of the country I would already have test driven one.
Old 12-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #49
Bronze Member

Agree. Hymer was of interest to me too, but as anticipated, it seems it’s going to take them a few years to pull all aspects of sales/service together. They are really doing a disservice to themselves and the customers by not being organized and prepared to fulfill promises/orders. Let’s hope they can figure it out quickly ... Why did so many of us see problems with this unholy marriage and Hymer didn’t???
Roxy4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #50
Platinum Member

Hymer tried for over 2 years to start production (unsuccessfully) before hooking up with Roadtrek. The wheels grind slowly in a large organization I suppose.

Once they merged, the matter of building out the production facility was a big roadblock.

I also think they may have underestimated the enthusiasm for a bare-bones, low tech van like the Aktiv. WGO was caught a bit offguard by their adventure Sprinter that is now becoming a real product.

Patience is the order of the day for such a radical shift we are seeing in product. Personally, it may not be my cup of tea, but what is going on is still very exciting for the industry. Maybe declaring the industry dead is a bit premature.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 05:13 PM   #51
Platinum Member

In less than year the Hymer purchase of Roadtrek has resulted in significant improvements in customer service, major investments in a new manufacturing plant and a plan to completely revamp the current production facility, honest statements about quality issues and the work Hymer personnel is doing in educating Roadtrek on quality improvement, and the introduction of the Aktiv and the Touring caravan models to North America. Pretty rapid changes in my view. How long it will take to get production up to speed on the Aktiv is probably dependent on getting to the point where the quality meets Hymer standards. The slow rollout of vehicles and dealers was stated as the plan and they seem to be consistent in that plan.

I agree that the bastardized Aktiv/Roadtrek model promised to Staci was not a good idea from a product differentiation point of view and a poor decision in any case if they don't deliver it as promised on the date they promised.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:44 PM   #52
Platinum Member

HYMER NA SEEMS TO BE STRUGGLING TO BRAND IT'S OWN DISTINCT IDENTITY IN NA - SEPARATE OF ROADTREK INFLUENCES.

Quote:
In less than year the Hymer purchase of Roadtrek has resulted in significant improvements in customer service, major investments in a new manufacturing plant and a plan to completely revamp the current production facility, honest statements about quality issues and the work Hymer personnel is doing in educating Roadtrek on quality improvement, and the introduction of the Aktiv and the Touring caravan models to North America. Pretty rapid changes in my view. How long it will take to get production up to speed on the Aktiv is probably dependent on getting to the point where the quality meets Hymer standards. The slow rollout of vehicles and dealers was stated as the plan and they seem to be consistent in that plan.

I agree that the bastardized Aktiv/Roadtrek model promised to Staci was not a good idea from a product differentiation point of view and a poor decision in any case if they don't deliver it as promised on the date they promised.
When it was announced several years ago that Hymer was seeking to enter the NA market,I was very excited. Our 1st and only RV was the Airstream Westfalia. It was a product for those who wanted more functionality and less glitz. We loved it and were waiting for the next level-up after several years of use.

For me it seems there are competing visions on what HYMER NA should be and what products to offer.

J Hamill - HYMER NA is my company and I know what NA consumers want better than anyone else

HYMER Germany Leadership - Unsure what parts of their existing product line translate to the want of a NA consumer however, we know how to build a great product.

How can a company who can build and market this in Europe struggle to figure out what to offer here in North America? If HYMER NA is going to be a 'me too' brand, Americanize everything they sell in NA, and turn their HYMER products into Roadtreks (features and content) why bother and just put everything sold under the Roadtrek brand. A competent Brand Manager would never dilute the brands this way.

The marketplace (from B to A class) is crying out for a more reliable RV that does not have to be worked on constantly or has clear build quality issues upon delivery. Talk about an obvious market segment to exploit!!!

Winnebago has made significant progress in refreshing their Touring Coach and Class C-line line in content and appeal. Winnebago appear to on the Right Track.

ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 07:27 PM   #53
Bronze Member

Would be interesting to hear from the OP, on where this order is at...
Old 12-31-2016, 08:01 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy4x4 View Post
Would be interesting to hear from the OP, on where this order is at...
Hi guys-
Staci here. I was out finishing an intense year-end at work.
Truth be told I think Ron runs an excellent group and is extremely knowledgeable and has a solid crew of folks in ClassB. I used some salty language during an exchange we had on drones and he booted me and now calls me a gutter mouth. Not how I see it but it is his group.

I'm glad to see we got back on topic while I was out. While new on this forum I'm already a big fan- as we had some disagreements on this thread and the moderator got us back on track without kicking anyone out. This is how I think we need to treat each other- give feedback but also the benefit of the doubt.

An update on the HymerTrek: I was assigned a customer service rep (Deron) the Thursday before Xmas who was not keen to have a phone chat with me which very much would have been my preference instead of email. My guess is they want to avoid any direct questions as this thing is probably not even halfway done. They have a skeleton crew through the holidays so basically nothing is happening right now. I still have no update on timing but when I emailed Deron 'this is going past January isn't it?' I got an affirmative. So I'm thinking of plan B because I don't want to be doing this for 6 months.

This isn't quite as stressful as it was to buy my house in the SF Bay area but it is definitely a close second.
StaciJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 08:37 PM   #55
Bronze Member

Thanks for the update Staci.

Sorry to hear you are basically getting the run-around. I won’t get into it here (as I may cross some forum boundaries in my viewpoints) but I believe you are doing the right thing in putting together another plan. This should be an exciting purchase for you. Put the fun back into it!
Old 12-31-2016, 09:12 PM   #56
BBQ
Platinum Member

Building your Hymertrek is not easy,
but it is not the biggest challenge.
Deron must be having a "conference" with the corp accountant
on how to fund and support the warranty service.

This is a rubik's cube.
You touch one color and all the pieces are in disarray.

BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 10:38 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ View Post

Building your Hymertrek is not easy,
but it is not the biggest challenge.
Deron must be having a "conference" with the corp accountant
on how to fund and support the warranty service.

This is a rubik's cube.
You touch one color and all the pieces are in disarray.

Exactly.
While it does seem to be a lot of customizations, all it really is is the front half and wet bath of a Hymer + the back half, galley and systems of a Zion.

I do believe it is well within the capabilities of Jim and co. to accomplish, though I have doubts on the QT front and the ultimate build time may prove to be too much for me to deal with...
Old 12-31-2016, 10:40 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy4x4 View Post
Thanks for the update Staci.

Sorry to hear you are basically getting the run-around. I won’t get into it here (as I may cross some forum boundaries in my viewpoints) but I believe you are doing the right thing in putting together another plan. This should be an exciting purchase for you. Put the fun back into it!
I'm trying. But this is so.not.fun right now...
Old 01-01-2017, 01:24 PM   #59
Gold Member

"I recently exchanged several emails directly with Jim H on a new build. I wanted to delete the Awning, include 4 AGMs (NO Ecotrek for me, thanks) and the Truma Combi. He agreed to everything. In the end, I didn't purchase because I simply didn't trust RT to deliver."....From my previous post....

I exchanged emails with Jim H during the Pomona Show, same Timeframe as STACIJAMES. The above "build" was to be done on one of the RT Promaster Models. The Truma Combi is standard on the AKTIV, probably soon to be standard on the RTs. The more I thought about my request, the more uneasy I became with the whole idea. In the end, I didn't want to be a "prototype" for future builds. I chose to walk away. STACIJAMES is seeing the consequences of their decision to pursue a Custom Build. I sincerely hope they receive the RV they want without any more drama.

Happy New Year Everyone
angelmroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 02:27 PM   #60
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaciJames View Post
Exactly.
While it does seem to be a lot of customizations, all it really is is the front half and wet bath of a Hymer + the back half, galley and systems of a Zion.

I do believe it is well within the capabilities of Jim and co. to accomplish, though I have doubts on the QT front and the ultimate build time may prove to be too much for me to deal with...

Nothing is as simple as you thought.

listen to this...
https://youtu.be/8ByxBOA1Pys?t=2m8s

It is a contract manufacturing arrangement.

Jim might want to build it for you.

But he must get Hymer approval before he can do anything.

Do you think the Germans will like your idea?

You are bastardizing their pride and joy LOL
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hymer