Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2021, 09:30 PM   #41
Site Team

A bunch of folks with 2021 Transit orders just got notified that they won’t be getting them:

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/...1-order.86044/
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 11:40 PM   #42
Platinum Member

I'm cuirious if Delivery companies and the RV industry have bought up all van production, or if nobody is getting them due to parts issues like the chip shortages?

Time will tell, I guess.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2021, 08:28 PM   #43
Site Team

For those interested-in/concerned-with high-current takeoffs from the Transit engine, here is a nice, recent, and not-too-long thread on this topic over at the Transit Forum:

https://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/.../#post-1122373

Summary:
The Transit's power-management system provides a "load shed" signal at the upfitter interface. It goes high any time it is worried about excessive current draw. It monitors various temperatures and other parameters as well as current. Any high-current takeoff system needs to honor this signal. This is easy with the Sterling B2B and probably most others as well. If you do this, taking off at least 175A should be perfectly fine, at least if you have the dual alternator. OP of that thread is using dual Sterling 120A B2B chargers, which seems like a good choice. You can take the power directly from the chassis battery, just so long as you honor the load-shed signal. OP also reports that turning off the engine start/stop feature disables the "smart power management" features, which is nice.

The alternative, as I mentioned earlier, is to skip the dual alternator and add an aftermarket second alternator instead. This avoids the whole issue at the expense of having an aftermarket system, which some may see as good or bad.

As I continue to research this, I am less and less worried about the Ford dual alternator system. I wish Mercedes were this simple.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote