Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2016, 05:01 PM   #1

Default Deciding: Getting a Roadtrek 170 on Dodge or Chevy

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into getting a Roadtrek 170. I noticed from web pictures the ground clearance seems a bit too low, which will limit the places I'd like to go.

I have a few question for existing 170 owners, and I appreciate any response!

(1) What is the ground clearance on a Dodge and Chevy respectively?

(2) Are the two side runner boards the places that have the lowest ground clearance? If the answer is yes, could someone measure the ground clearance at the boards for me?

(3) If the answer for (2) is yes, can I remove the boards to gain many inches?

From the web pictures, it seems to me it is more easily done on the Dodge. On a Chevy, it seems they modified/removed the lower van body in order to accommodate the boards, and removing the boards would make everything ugly. Am I right?

Also I noticed in the drivers side runner board drawer there are some utilities/hoses that may need to be removed/modified in order to make this happen....?

(4) If the answer for (2) is no, does it mean there are other components (tanks, hoses, wire, cable, etc.) the runs even lower?

I am not ready to do a lift mod yet, that to me seems like a much bigger job.

THANKS!

Rudy
RudyRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 06:21 PM   #2
Platinum Member

lift kit is your better option if you just gotta, a moderate lift of a few inches is easily done and not very expensive ( there are threads- and also look at this:

http://www.classbforum.com/forums/f8...html#post50934

stock, the clearance is low and there are many, many components inboard of the skirts which are same height- tanks, piping, generator

generally the side skirts are at the same level as the tanks under the floor- most class b's are built as genteel highway cruisers.

my 2006 pleaure-way on a chev is about 8" clearance

the RT 190 and 210 models offer alot more interior space than the 170- longer wheelbase, but with that would come a higher likely hood of high centering.

the 170 on a chev is more likely to have the 4.8 liter vs the 6.0 on the larger models

some 4x4's are coming on the market, but look to be aimed at the suburban mom who is worried about 1/2" on snow on the driveway

you may want to look at sportsmobile, there are also other converters who will build what you want but the budget will soon be over $100k and climbing

my neighbor has a self- conversion of a 99 Ford Pleasure way excel model- his 99 ford sportsmobile 4x4 burned down in the driveway- so he swapped the running gear into the PW, I just walked by and my eyball says he has about 13" clearance at the lowest point ( dump drains).

he uses it more in Baja- it isn;t great on teh highway- the high center of gravity on a 9000# van makes it squirrely as can the wind load

in my neighborhood alot of the baja and offroad guys use lifted trailer trailers or a lifted pop up trailer- these are bult pretty lightweight but can still carry dirt bikes or atv's- and use a bike truck to pull them

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
170, chevy, dodge, ground clearance, roadtrek