Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2019, 06:27 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default deep cycle lead acid brands????

Trojan? anybody have good luck with others? Not interested in agm gel or LI. thanks!
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:09 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Walmart marine deep cycle group 27 batteries.

Downside, some but not much watering.

Upside, inexpensive.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
Trojan? anybody have good luck with others? Not interested in agm gel or LI. thanks!

What size and voltage? That can make a difference in preference.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
Bronze Member

12 volt class 24
Old 04-12-2019, 07:38 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjustj View Post
12 volt class 24

12v in automotive sizes like gp24 are really tough to find in high end, true deep cycle batteries. Most all have switched to making 12v as marine starting or combo batteries and will not have the life of a the best deep cycle designs.

In Trojan, I think the MTX 24 would be the best choice from what I have heard. We had some Trojan SCS series batteries in 12 and they were not anywhere near as durable as the Trojan golf cart 6v batteries we had.

You could also try Crown batteries, who make lots of commercial batteries including 12v for floor scrubbers and electric pallet jacks. They might have something in 24v that is good. You would have to call them, though, it appears because they want you to give all your personal information on the website just to get specs these days.

If you can't find high end true deep cycle, then a combo battery from Costco like the DC24 would probably be a reasonable cost option.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:28 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I used Fullriver AGM batteries. Used them for last 6 years with success. Fullriver Battery - Maintenance Free AGM Batteries
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 02:00 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
...If you can't find high end true deep cycle, then a combo battery from Costco like the DC24 would probably be a reasonable cost option.
I’ve used the Costco group 24 12V very successfully in my 13’ Scamp travel trailer. Lights, mobile device charging, and occasional furnace use is it.

In a typical Class B, I don’t think it’d have enough capacity unless your 12V needs are very limited and/or you spend most of your time connected to shore power.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 03:43 AM   #8
Bronze Member

decided upon 2 of these thanks for the input!

Trojan Battery; 12V 100Ah Commercial Deep Cycle Flooded Battery - 11.30" 6.73" x 9.80" - SCS150
Old 04-18-2019, 08:59 PM   #9
Silver Member

I would not recommend Trojan to anyone anymore. They used to be very good but they changed where they are made and also changed your ability to verify the date of manufacture. I had six brand new house batteries I had to replace under warranty because they were all bad batteries. I went to Deka and have had no problems.
FMCA #376666
Barman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:36 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barman View Post
I would not recommend Trojan to anyone anymore. They used to be very good but they changed where they are made and also changed your ability to verify the date of manufacture. I had six brand new house batteries I had to replace under warranty because they were all bad batteries. I went to Deka and have had no problems.

Interesting information. Is that for AGM batteries, which they are making in a new domestic factory and are a relatively new design or is that for the traditional wet cells, which have the the standard in golf cart batteries for decades?

I will say that I don't think the Trojan 12v wet cells are even close to the quality of the GC 2 wet cells, at least as long ago as about 5 years.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:07 PM   #11
Bronze Member

thank you for saying what I was trying hard not to......bottom line...Trojan has only a one year warrenty.....for a reason
gpdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:32 AM   #12
Silver Member

It isn't luck. It is maintenance. Proper settings on the charging sources, regular topping cells with distilled water, and not discharging too low or too long. I have EGC2 batteries, labeled Duracell, made by East Penn also known as Deka. I am very satisfied for the last 4 years.
Sehc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 12:52 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehc View Post
It isn't luck. It is maintenance. Proper settings on the charging sources, regular topping cells with distilled water, and not discharging too low or too long. I have EGC2 batteries, labeled Duracell, made by East Penn also known as Deka. I am very satisfied for the last 4 years.
You can also buy Deka batteries branded NAPA. This is a convenient source at reasonable prices. These are good batteries.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote